Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Old Nov 9, 2017, 7:09 pm

My reward redemption date has moved by a month. Was due today. Anyone know how long it takes, seems like a system glitch.

Update: Was able to redeem it this morning. So give it a day or two if you don't see it

Last edited by Gitangali; Nov 10, 2017 at 5:24 am
Old Nov 14, 2017, 11:00 am

Even if WF capped the reward bonuses on purchases not exceeding $12500, you can get this bonus every 18 months. Is this correct?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:08 pm

How can you tell a particular Walmart will be tagged as grocery for WF 5X purchases without first buying it and then seeing whether it posts as 5X or not? My understanding is, if it has produce/grocery section then it should tag as grocery but all marts have grocery these days and some look big, others are not as big.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Gitangali
How can you tell a particular Walmart will be tagged as grocery for WF 5X purchases without first buying it and then seeing whether it posts as 5X or not? My understanding is, if it has produce/grocery section then it should tag as grocery but all marts have grocery these days and some look big, others are not as big.
Google Search on Visa Supplier Locator then click the first link. Its not perfect as some walmarts won't show up in the suppler search but I found it in 2016 after one of the Wallys I went to did not code at 5x. Turns out it was listed as Warehouse in the Visa Supplier site. I think around 95% of the Walmarts are listed and Grocery or Pharmacy but every once in a while there is an outlier.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 5:46 pm

Even if WF capped the reward bonuses on purchases not exceeding $12500, you can get this bonus every 18 months. Is this correct?
In theory. They changed the language relatively recently though.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by zeppoloveskafka
In theory. They changed the language relatively recently though.
What did they change relatively recently?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Its not always accurate though, do a test purchase really only way to find out
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Is wells fargo strict about purchasing gift cards at merchant with thier propel like amex
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:16 pm

I never closed mine and SO's. now they have 10-50% back on JCP, OD/OM, Staples, Macy's, & Kmart.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/wells...acys-jcpenney/
Old Aug 29, 2018, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
I never closed mine and SO's. now they have 10-50% back on JCP, OD/OM, Staples, Macy's, & Kmart.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/wells...acys-jcpenney/
Wow, blast from the past... Didn't even know about that deal, thanks for reviving this thread.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:43 pm
CDO
Suspended

Originally Posted by cdog999
Wow, blast from the past... Didn't even know about that deal, thanks for reviving this thread.
I think they have always had these but dont really push em hard
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:58 pm

Nice. Hoping to stack 25% cb with the Staples $200 VGC no fee sale.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:45 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, SWA Companion Pass, United Silver
got the 50% cb at Staples, od/om, jc penny, Macys, and Kmart. Went to Kmart to buy some shell GCs for quick liquidation, got shut down by cashier as cash only. bummer...
Old Sep 4, 2018, 4:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by doggiefizzle
got the 50% cb at Staples, od/om, jc penny, Macys, and Kmart. Went to Kmart to buy some shell GCs for quick liquidation, got shut down by cashier as cash only. bummer...
Try a different shift ya never know
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:24 pm

This used to be card where people would purchase about a half million dollar per month in WM and now we are thinking about 10-20% at staples on a 200 dollar visa card with 6.95 fee and liquidating will be a pain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.