Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RedSun
Wiki Link
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 26, 16, 11:26 am

Guys,
I have had 5X rewards card for a month, first statement came out. Can I call WF and ask for CL increase?
Old Jan 26, 16, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by nfpa70e View Post
Guys,
I have had 5X rewards card for a month, first statement came out. Can I call WF and ask for CL increase?
Read the threads. Has been answered numerous times.
Old Jan 26, 16, 12:32 pm

Is this card still available?
Old Jan 26, 16, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by CWAL View Post
Read the threads. Has been answered numerous times.
Thanks Man! Instead of reading 9 pages, I thought let me play this trick. Instead of making call specifically for CLI, I thought I would discuss something benign first(alerts) and then depending upon how ameable the CSR is slide the CLI request. That worked, 3 mins hold and rep said effective immediately your CLI is doubled. Now I gotta figure out when my bank is going to complain about too many MOs!!!

Last edited by nfpa70e; Jan 26, 16 at 12:52 pm
Old Jan 26, 16, 1:53 pm

Thanks Man! Instead of reading 9 pages, I thought let me play this trick. Instead of making call specifically for CLI, I thought I would discuss something benign first(alerts) and then depending upon how ameable the CSR is slide the CLI request. That worked, 3 mins hold and rep said effective immediately your CLI is doubled. Now I gotta figure out when my bank is going to complain about too many MOs!!!
Yup. WF is weird. Also, yet another reason why splitting the threads at each year is stupid. My apologies, the majority of answers were in the 2015 thread.. But still...
Old Jan 26, 16, 2:33 pm

I have read in other thread there is cap of 120K per calendar year. Is that you earn 5X up to maximum $120K per year or 120K reward miles is maximum per CY.
Old Jan 26, 16, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy View Post
Isn't there a required minimum balance to avoid the monthly fee?

if you keep a minimum balance they might still be able to reverse the credit, right?
The means of avoiding the monthly fee are a pittance compared to the cashback if you do it right. That said, the monthly fee is only $10, so hardly a concern in the big picture of things.
Old Jan 27, 16, 9:38 am

There are many issues with depositing large sums of MOs in your bank.There are reports of getting blacklisted etc. BP to you WF card is a better option except the caveat is, WF doesn't like if you pay it too many times. I don't like VGCs sitting around with me for long time and you can only do 4 swipes of BP at a time. Anyone found a smart way around all of this?
Old Jan 27, 16, 9:48 am

There are many issues with depositing large sums of MOs in your bank.There are reports of getting blacklisted etc. BP to you WF card is a better option except the caveat is, WF doesn't like if you pay it too many times. I don't like VGCs sitting around with me for long time and you can only do 4 swipes of BP at a time. Anyone found a smart way around all of this?
open a lot of checking accounts and spread the MOs on those accounts, do an ACH push to WF checking, pay from WF checking. credit is released immediately!
Old Jan 27, 16, 10:11 am

Thanks Luman

Those of you who have been down this road before. Can I get some sense of what is reasonable/moderate and what is extreme as far as depositing MOs in a particular bank is concerned without raising eyebrows.

Is it 5K,10K, 15K, 20K, XX ? deposits per month per bank? or this is peanut?
Old Jan 27, 16, 10:16 am

Programs: All of them
Thanks Luman

Those of you who have been down this road before. Can I get some sense of what is reasonable/moderate and what is extreme as far as depositing MOs in a particular bank is concerned without raising eyebrows.

Is it 5K,10K, 15K, 20K, XX ? deposits per month per bank? or this is peanut?
Those are rice grains. 100k is peanuts, 200k is respectable

With that said, it depends on your local tellers, age of account etc. I've had my account over 15 years and been MSing heavily since 2013. Always be prepared for a shutdown. When you $.... where you eat, you may get poisoned and have to find new grazing opportunities.

Last edited by littlewinglet; Jan 27, 16 at 10:22 am
Old Jan 27, 16, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet View Post
Those are rice grains. 100k is peanuts, 200k is respectable

With that said, it depends on your local tellers, age of account etc. I've had my account over 15 years and been MSing heavily since 2013. Always be prepared for a shutdown. When you $.... where you eat, you may get poisoned and have to find new grazing opportunities.
LOL. Good luck getting any bank to not raise eye brows at 100K. Just bc they didn't shut you down yet doesn't mean you didn't make their radar. There are plenty of data points of people getting shut down just doing 5K in the first month at some banks.
Old Jan 27, 16, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy View Post
open a lot of checking accounts and spread the MOs on those accounts, do an ACH push to WF checking, pay from WF checking. credit is released immediately!
As for the MO deposits, just curious what would be a reasonable answer to give a teller who asks why I am depositing MOs from myself to myself. So far I have avoided such questions using mobile apps, but I am hitting the limit on those and need to visit the branch....
Old Jan 27, 16, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post
As for the MO deposits, just curious what would be a reasonable answer to give a teller who asks why I am depositing MOs from myself to myself. So far I have avoided such questions using mobile apps, but I am hitting the limit on those and need to visit the branch....
"I buy these money orders with debit cards that earn me airline miles and points"

Works at pretty much any stage of the process.
Old Jan 27, 16, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by CWAL View Post
"I buy these money orders with debit cards that earn me airline miles and points"
I love this short and sweet answer. Not try to get too defensive about it, act like it is an innocent act.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: