Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
Originally Posted by ninetwosix
After my the last statement cutoff, my cash back activity is missing the date. Pending - Expected Redeemable Date. Anyone else?
Same to me is it gonna be a shutdown?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by happy9zz
Same to me is it gonna be a shutdown?
Sure hope not... Put too much effort in already. Original strategy of getting about 6 sign-up bonuses a year seems so much easier than this. Much easier to spend 3K than 30K lol. maybe its growing pains for me, maybe not.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 3:26 pm
jk2

I have a question. I know that Wells Fargo gives bonuses once in lifetime. I had in the past a 5x cash back card. I see that they also have a 5x point card that works in the same way. Can I get such card and 6 months promo would be applied?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
It may post but your CL may not be reduced.

Quickest way to clear CL is pay from WF checking.
What do you think is the next fastest way? Push to pay credit card from a different bank (bill pay) or pull from another bank to pay credit card?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, US, SW, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors
Originally Posted by ninetwosix
After my the last statement cutoff, my cash back activity is missing the date. Pending - Expected Redeemable Date. Anyone else?
Same boat here. I'm hoping it may have something to do with February being a short month and the normal cycle dates being off, but I'd definitely sleep a little better if there was a date on there.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 7:43 am

I bought 500 VGC with WF Visa rewards at WM; I then went to pay the Visa card, everything would be okay up until the point you have to key in PIN number, I used the last 4 numbers on the card, tried it 2-3 times, same PIN error. Went home and checked the gift card balance on WM site, shows 0 balance and card number not recognized but the automated system. Has anyone has happen this to you?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:40 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Is it still not working?

I have had this happen on rare occasion.... but works fine the next day.

Register the card online and check the transactions. Does it show the card being loaded and drained?

Originally Posted by nfpa70e
I bought 500 VGC with WF Visa rewards at WM; I then went to pay the Visa card, everything would be okay up until the point you have to key in PIN number, I used the last 4 numbers on the card, tried it 2-3 times, same PIN error. Went home and checked the gift card balance on WM site, shows 0 balance and card number not recognized but the automated system. Has anyone has happen this to you?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey
Is it still not working?

I have had this happen on rare occasion.... but works fine the next day.

Register the card online and check the transactions. Does it show the card being loaded and drained?
When I call customer service phone, it says card is invalid; Online, when I punch in the CC number, I see $0 balance, I registered the card, still shows zero balance and no transaction.

This is a separate question from above, any reason you wouldn't bill pay your WF visa rewards card right after you purchase VGC in WM? Why take MO if you can BP? assuming you can BP.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:30 pm

This is a separate question from above, any reason you wouldn't bill pay your WF visa rewards card right after you purchase VGC in WM? Why take MO if you can BP? assuming you can BP.
There's no problem with it as long as you don't mind your credit line being tied up for a while.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:17 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
If you are still showing a zero balance with no transactions, you need to take the receipt that verifies your purchase of that card back to the store and get it fixed.

When I call customer service phone, it says card is invalid; Online, when I punch in the CC number, I see $0 balance, I registered the card, still shows zero balance and no transaction.

Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:39 pm

Can you hit Rewards visa hard? I charged 2000 today. No fraud alerts etc , can you keep buying as much as you can till you hit the CL? I have not heard of any problem on WF side. It may be an issue on liquidation side.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
I would take it slow. Very slow and avoid detection.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
If it doesn't show that $500 was loaded, then it was never activated. Compare the serial number on the back of the card and see the last 4 matches an activated card on the receipt. In that case, I would call the number on the back of the card because this is not the store's fault and the card issuer is in the best position to fix it.

If that doesn't work, double-check the activation codes on the store receipt. If you paid for X cards and only X-1 were successful activations, that can probably be dealt with easily at the purchase location.

If you have a situation where you paid for X cards, and X were activated, but you ended up walking out of the store with the wrong card, that is much harder to fix. It may depend on whether the store believes you or thinks you are trying to scam them.

The last avenue would normally be to dispute the charge with Wells Fargo, but that would obviously be monumentally stupid in this case.

Last edited by janetdoe; Jan 19, 2016 at 3:14 pm
Old Jan 19, 2016, 6:39 pm

Walmart receipt says activated, there is nothing to match between WM receipt and numbers on the VGC. I threw the packaging. I have called 800 number, talked a person, he took the information, said they will investigate and send me refund check if deemed to be an error. He asked me to email them front, back of VGC and receipt printout.

I registered the card, says zero balance and no transaction history. WM gift cards are terrible in tracking sense, unlike OV, which provides complete history without having to register etc.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
I would take it slow. Very slow and avoid detection.
Hahaha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.