Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:12 pm

I think it really depends on your velocity during the time it was in the mail. If you were doing 1/2CL per day or more, I'd expect a full shutdown. If you were already somewhat in coasting mode, you have a better chance of slipping by.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 1:54 pm

Unusual spending/payments letter came in today's mail. Spent less than 1X credit line during first two statements. Card paid in full but I paid using several different bank accounts. Maybe that was the trigger. If this card is still alive next month, I will just make a single payment. I will try to cut back but much of the spend was normal day to day stuff. No $504.95 drug store purchases. Just a little confused here. Now that I am an active on their radar, I have feeling this is going to end badly.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:48 am

Need some data points from those who have received warning letters. Can you continue MSing up to 1 X CL? and single payment at the end of the statement cycle? Like how you would normally pay off your CC.

If they are monitoring purchases that exceed $500 or daily purchases of 1K, 2K then there is no way to dodge this, they will find it sooner or later.

I never thought my GOBank would outlast WF.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Gitangali
Need some data points from those who have received warning letters. Can you continue MSing up to 1 X CL? and single payment at the end of the statement cycle? Like how you would normally pay off your CC.

If they are monitoring purchases that exceed $500 or daily purchases of 1K, 2K then there is no way to dodge this, they will find it sooner or later.

This approach worked back in June, spend < 1xCL and payment after billing cycle closed. This was after receiving the letter in May.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:59 am

Looks like there will be a pin drop silence on this thread in few months. I miss going to WM during lunch break to buy and liquidate.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by Gitangali

There are reports on here and other places from people who only used up to their cl, only paid the balance after statement closing and they still got shutdown when they tried ms'ing multiple times in a week at certain chains. So, they evidently are still monitoring and therefore even some of those who were being more careful still got closed down and rewards forfeited. If anyone is being more successful they should keep it to themselves because there's no sense getting other people's hopes up.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:03 am

Any recent data points on where which bureau(s) WF pulls credit from? I know they pulled from my TU at the beginning of the year, did not pull from equifax, but I can't see whether they did an experian pull.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 10:33 am

darn, they just closed acct after doing $1k at walmart in early aug, and another $1k at a grocery store couple days ago with numerous normal purchases in btwn; lost out more than $20 in fees; received warning letter 2 mos ago; any chance to get the rewards pts?

anyone knows about how long i can apply for another CC with them?

Last edited by danhouston; Sep 3, 2016 at 11:04 am
Old Sep 7, 2016, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
lost out more than $20 in fees;
Big loss man and you want to recover points for $2K purchases?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
Any recent data points on where which bureau(s) WF pulls credit from? I know they pulled from my TU at the beginning of the year, did not pull from equifax, but I can't see whether they did an experian pull.
Anyone know if WF pulls from experian?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
Anyone know if WF pulls from experian?
Always EQ for me (FL)
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:19 am

Guys, I have forgotten the WF timeline. If your points post on say the 20th, will your spend from the 17th show up on the rewards the post the 20th?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by fumnibbler
Guys, I have forgotten the WF timeline. If your points post on say the 20th, will your spend from the 17th show up on the rewards the post the 20th?
IIRC, Thursday charges post Saturday, Friday/Sat charges post Monday, Sun charges post Tuesday (I never made Sunday charges though so may be wrong), Mon->Wed, etc.

But it's been a while...
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:35 am

WF

anybody been doing over 1X CL for more than a couple months w/o getting shut down? PM if necessary, I'm willing to share personal experience.
Old Sep 9, 2016, 7:09 am

Spouse Applied for WF today. Credit score on the pulled bureau was >800. Did not get an instant approval. An hour later calling the application status line is says "under review" and "will receive written notification of decision within 7 to 10 business days." Anyone else deal with that? Did you manually talk to someone? Seems odd, I figured this would e an easy instant approval.

Called and they said an underwriter needs to review. That is really odd, anyone else have this happpen?

Last edited by cdog999; Sep 9, 2016 at 10:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.