Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by anubond005
Any new updates on WF closures? Couple of people on Twitter complained of shut downs without going big on volume. I did $4500 on 1st 2 days and now totally stopped using it for fear of shut down. CL is 15K. Any updates will help. Thanks.
There's no way in hell I would stop before spending my limit.

I'm on my 2nd card, and when I tried to ramp up in month 3 I got the letter. Card is still alive but just doing 1x CL per month.. which sucks compared to being able to cycle CL every 2 days on the previous card.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by fumnibbler
There's no way in hell I would stop before spending my limit.

I'm on my 2nd card, and when I tried to ramp up in month 3 I got the letter. Card is still alive but just doing 1x CL per month.. which sucks compared to being able to cycle CL every 2 days on the previous card.
Be careful of multiple payments before monthly statement closing even if you're only spending up to your cl. They've shut down people for that too and not just cycling cl.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
Be careful of multiple payments before monthly statement closing even if you're only spending up to your cl. They've shut down people for that too and not just cycling cl.
I know, I only pay after it posts now. The last week or two with the card I'm going to go buckwild.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I was shut down this week. Got the letter when everybody else did but continued and just did the 15k CL. Spent 6k total at CVS over a week period and the hammer came down. Went to buy again the other day and got card blocked. Logged on to WF and got message account is closed.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by cruisr
I was shut down this week. Got the letter when everybody else did but continued and just did the 15k CL. Spent 6k total at CVS over a week period and the hammer came down. Went to buy again the other day and got card blocked. Logged on to WF and got message account is closed.
I'm sorry to hear this. did you lose any rewards?

having a WF plat 5x card is like walking on eggshells especially for those who continuously spend on 'forbidden' items. It is obvious they are closely watching what people purchase.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:38 am

So you stayed within your CL of 15K and still the hammer came down and you believe it could be because of CVS purchases of 6K over a week? not looking good. The days are numbered. CVS purchases of 6K in a week is oddball. Who does that? that may be a reason why they are easily able to detect this.

Last edited by Gitangali; Aug 25, 2016 at 4:20 pm
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Gitangali
So you stayed within your CL of 15K and still the hammer came down and you believe it could be because of CVS purchases of 6K over a week? not looking good. The days are numbered. CVS purchases of 6K in a week is oddball. Who does that? that may be a reason why they are easily able to detect this. I'm not sure if same would apply to Walmart as, people can spend a lot of money in Walmarts and it is not out of the norm.
Actually 6k a week has been my pattern forever. Every couple days I bought 2k. Was doing it before and since the letter. Of course when I could cycle the CL I had even stranger purchase patterns. Had less then 60 days left and had only $3.00 and change in rewards as as soon as they hit redeemable status I move them. So my net loss was 60.00 in fees that I will not get back. I had a very nice run and between myself and family members we churned the hell out of the 5%. All good things seem to come to an end.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:50 am

People fail to realize that 6k a week at CVS is *not* terribly unusual for someone on expensive maintenance medications who request reimbursement from their insurance company after the purchase.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by CWAL
People fail to realize that 6k a week at CVS is *not* terribly unusual for someone on expensive maintenance medications who request reimbursement from their insurance company after the purchase.
How many medications do you buy 3x a week that cost $2019.80? WF isn't stupid.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
How many medications do you buy 3x a week that cost $2019.80? WF isn't stupid.
does adding an item, or not maxing the gc value matter? so the total isn't always the same.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
WF isn't stupid.
Apparently not any more. Oh well, in the past it was a different thing when people were purchasing drugs worth 200K per month. Where was I back then?

It's like when you hear about all these young teachers messing up with boys in a school these days, you wonder where were all these teachers when I was growing up?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:22 pm

Apparently not any more. Oh well, in the past it was a different thing when people were purchasing drugs worth 200K per month. Where was I back then?

It's like when you hear about all these young teachers messing up with boys in a school these days, you wonder where were all these teachers when I was growing up?
There is a difference between stupidity and not caring. WF knew what was going on, they just didn't care until it hit too high of a level.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 12:55 pm

You know when you have one of these cards, you often use all of your credit line. This pushes your credit card utilization and it has dinged my FICO score by 150 points from 810.

Once my utilization is down, will my FICO score go back up to where it had been? I'm sure many of you have experienced this. Don't want to take chance for Chase SR card with this score, as I'm already above 5/24.

I checked my score on credit Karma, they only update it once a week. I'm not sure how often credit agencies update their score which is what the credit card companies would check.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:01 pm

You know when you have one of these cards, you often use all of your credit line. This pushes your credit card utilization and it has dinged my FICO score by 150 points from 810.

Once my utilization is down, will my FICO score go back up to where it had been? I'm sure many of you have experienced this. Don't want to take chance for Chase SR card with this score, as I'm already above 5/24.

I checked my score on credit Karma, they only update it once a week. I'm not sure how often credit agencies update their score which is what the credit card companies would check.
The key to avoid high utilization is to pay most (or all) of the balance... but then it brings about all sorts of red flags...

So choose your poison
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
You're not the only one who's been shutdown lately as there are many in private discussion who have reported the same. I'm not spending up to my limit, not even close. I know they are watching especially certain category purchases. Some have tried to go all in their last promo month, only to lose rewards and thus shelling out a lot on fees, which means not only no gain but a net loss. Unless a person has not received a letter, they are at risk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.