Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by DjRocket
I'm late to this gig for sure, but out of curiosity, how do you folks turn those VGC into MO's? My understanding is the WF cards gives you 5% cashback on drugstore purchases. I bought a couple VGC ($500 each) at Walgreens and took them to WM and PO. Both systems declined transactions when I tried paying for the MO. They do take VGCs from giftcards.com though (but those don't earn 5% from WF card). So the only way I found to dispose of the Walgreens VGC is Serve. But Serve has only $5k limit load per month and they've been shutting down that gig as well.

Ironically, I've had the Wells signature card for years, had no idea about its legendary and rich history : )
You should probably take time to read through this thread before starting. Vanilla is a no-go at Walmart, except for less than $50 transactions.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by fumnibbler
You should probably take time to read through this thread before starting. Vanilla is a no-go at Walmart, except for less than $50 transactions.
Thanks, yeah I remember reading about it in this thread, decided to test it anyway, maybe it was YMMV, with PO as well . Another thing I've read in this thread is how Serve/BB have been used, but again, you can't get over 5k limit per month. I didn't find anything else, that's why I asked. How do you turn them?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:02 pm

Thanks, yeah I remember reading about it in this thread, decided to test it anyway, maybe it was YMMV, with PO as well . Another thing I've read in this thread is how Serve/BB have been used, but again, you can't get over 5k limit per month. I didn't find anything else, that's why I asked. How do you turn them?
Money orders.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:30 pm

Money orders.
I got that part, thanks : ) at what store/establishment do you purchase the money orders?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:48 pm

I got that part, thanks : ) at what store/establishment do you purchase the money orders?
I would say 90% of mine are from the 2 places you mentioned.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:50 am

Hanging my boots today on 1st WF card. It seems like all the votes are in the ballot box, waiting for the outcome on July 27th when they pay you bonus. Hope they won't shut me down in the meantime. I'm going to continue to use this card for regular purchases till then, close the account as soon as the rewards are deposited.

Haven't heard of any shut downs lately. Not sure if they do spring cleaning once a month.

Last edited by Gitangali; Jul 14, 2016 at 12:32 pm
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Gitangali
Hanging my boots today on 1st WF card. It seems like all the votes are in the ballot box, waiting for the outcome on July 27th when they pay you bonus. Hope they won't shut me down in the meantime. I'm going to continue to use this card for regular purchases till then, close the account as soon as the rewards are deposited.

Haven't heard of any shut downs lately. Not sure if do spring cleaning once a month.
I wouldn't use it for regular spend, just no need to draw more attention to it.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali

Haven't heard of any shut downs lately. Not sure if they do spring cleaning once a month.
I received a letter dated June 25. Any others after that?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by houstonmama
I received a letter dated June 25. Any others after that?
When did you receive a letter dated 25th and was that a direct shutdown or warning?

I wouldn't use it for regular spend, just no need to draw more attention to it.
I don't think you will draw more attention for regular small purchases less than 50 bucks. In fact it may help bury the big charges and make it look like CC is used for everyday purchases. It is MS activity that is frown upon, repetitive large purchases, bill pays, credit line cycling, negative balances etc etc. That is what perhaps their algorithm is looking for.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
No, it's not YMMV. You just didn't bother to read any relevant threads first.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: SW CP, OW Sapphire, AS MVP75k, HH Diamond, HGP Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I posted this on r/churning, and thought I'd throw it in here. Happy to answer additional questions via SM.

If one of the private subs would accept me, I'd post it there. But they won't, and I firmly support "be the dp you wish to see..."

Essentially, it's possible to entertain one last hurrah of purchases, post warning letter, pre-shutdown. Timing is key, and so is your ability to pool rewards. (I posted about my plan a few weeks ago, but pulled it because of some warnings regarding this sub being monitored)

In an effort to not murder everything good in the world, I'll leave it at that.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Jp18
I posted this on r/churning, and thought I'd throw it in here. Happy to answer additional questions via SM.

If one of the private subs would accept me, I'd post it there. But they won't, and I firmly support "be the dp you wish to see..."

Essentially, it's possible to entertain one last hurrah of purchases, post warning letter, pre-shutdown. Timing is key, and so is your ability to pool rewards. (I posted about my plan a few weeks ago, but pulled it because of some warnings regarding this sub being monitored)

In an effort to not murder everything good in the world, I'll leave it at that.
besides regular purchases, have u tried small GCs purchases thru out the month like 1K/wk or so?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:35 pm

[QUOTE=Gitangali;26918278]When did you receive a letter dated 25th and was that a direct shutdown or warning?

Just warning letter, haven't used the card since. From what I've read most get shutdown regardless of MS or non-MS transactions.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:03 am

You mean after warning letter, most get shut down regardless of what type of transactions they have after wards? That means warning letter is just a formality and they have decided to close the account. Can someone corroborate this?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Has anyone been able to get WF to pay out frozen rewards? After I got the first letter, I didn't do any more spend except 2 gas station purchases. But about a month later, WF shut down the cards saying that I had continued to spend. Perhaps they saw spend between the letter issue date and my receipt date, but that seems a little unfair. Anyone have luck getting points unfrozen?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.