Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RedSun
Wiki Link
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 12, 16, 4:00 pm

Is it dangerous asking for a CL increase? I mean if they see someone is doing 50k a week...
Old Mar 12, 16, 5:49 pm

Programs: All of them
Anyone here got upgraded to 1.35% on everyday spend after hitting $50k? It was an advertised benefit when I opened my account 3 months ago and I'm curious how quickly it gets invoked and if it's 1.35 base spend on grocery/gas also.
Old Mar 12, 16, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by stuntgoats View Post
I called and specifically asked for an increase. They asked how much and then submitted my request. I should receive a letter in the mail within 7-10 business days with the decision.
That's never good. But let us know what happens.
Old Mar 12, 16, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet View Post
Anyone here got upgraded to 1.35% on everyday spend after hitting $50k? It was an advertised benefit when I opened my account 3 months ago and I'm curious how quickly it gets invoked and if it's 1.35 base spend on grocery/gas also.
I hit it but I don't know how quick it went into effect since I wasn tracking the exact amount I had gone through. Now you will have 3 entries for spend at gas/groc/pharm and 2 entries everywhere else. 1 entry for 1% for any spend 4% for gas etc and .35% that is labeled visa signature.

Cheers
Old Mar 12, 16, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet View Post
My account is just about the same age as yours. No indication of this extra bonus yet, and I'm well past the 50K mark.
Old Mar 12, 16, 10:12 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post
My account is just about the same age as yours. No indication of this extra bonus yet, and I'm well past the 50K mark.
I may just give them a call after I cash out this month's loot at the end of the month.

Last year I had the travel rewards version of the card and they gave me a bump on what points are worth for travel, but only towards May, by the time my promo was already almost over.
Old Mar 14, 16, 12:04 pm

Is it okay to Purchase $5-6K VGC on this card in one day? most I have purchased so far is $4K in a day. Not sure if it will flag if you make too many 500 VGC purchases in the same store.

I'm trying to get away from a local WM in small place and travel to a nearby city where there is a big WM with many counters etc and trying to minimize the trips. Do you have to stay under some amount so as to not get flagged? What is the most you have purchased in a day?

Last edited by Gitangali; Mar 14, 16 at 7:10 pm
Old Mar 14, 16, 6:30 pm

Programs: SPG, Hyatt Diamond Member, Club Calrson Silver, AA, Hilton Gold, BA
Originally Posted by Gitangali View Post
Is it okay to Purchase $5-6K VGC on this card? most I have purchased so far is $4K in a day. Not sure if it will flag if you make too many 500 VGC purchases in the same store.

I'm trying to get away from a local WM in small place and travel to a nearby city where there is a big WM with many counters etc and trying to minimize the trips. Do you have to stay under some amount so as to not get flagged? What is the most you have purchased in a day?
wow you are pushing it. I would try to stay below that number. Too many reports of WF shut downs when you go above this number which forfeits all the points you accrued so far so you lose out on the fees.
Old Mar 14, 16, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by livestrongforever View Post
wow you are pushing it.
Just to clarify I don't do that kind of volume everyday. My total volume on 10K CL is 2.5 to 3 times per month. I was just asking if I could do 5-6K in a day, overall volume per month would still be 2.5 to 3 times CL.
Old Mar 14, 16, 7:45 pm

I've done 17K per day with no issue. Of course, as always YMMV
Old Mar 14, 16, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by iexaltu View Post
I've done 17K per day with no issue. Of course, as always YMMV

WOW!!!! How many days did u push that much. That means you grossed $850 per day in profit and netted about $680 if you used $5 fee gift cards. If you did that every day for 6 months you could net close to $120k.

WOW. I was pumped about netting close to $5k in my 6 months.

Well done
Old Mar 14, 16, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by mcsere View Post
I was pumped about netting close to $5k in my 6 months.
LOL
Old Mar 15, 16, 12:01 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I pushed it a lot then.... I had a $35K limit... and had no problem spending it all in one day....

Originally Posted by livestrongforever View Post
wow you are pushing it. I would try to stay below that number. Too many reports of WF shut downs when you go above this number which forfeits all the points you accrued so far so you lose out on the fees.
Old Mar 15, 16, 12:13 pm

Programs: SW CP, OW Sapphire, AS MVP75k, HH Diamond, HGP Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Talking

I've read every page of this thread (literally, slow week at work) and researched 4 or 5 CU's near me, but I can't find one that does fee-free ACH pushes at a reasonable speed. BOA is a bunch of jerks charging $3 per--this after 15 years of loyalty.

If anyone wanted to be a huge help and PM me a few CU's in the NOVA/DC area they use--I'd be grateful. Won't abuse, just looking to diversify. My wife doesn't want to have to reestablish all of our financial relationships. Haha
Old Mar 15, 16, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by Jp18 View Post
I've read every page of this thread (literally, slow week at work) and researched 4 or 5 CU's near me, but I can't find one that does fee-free ACH pushes at a reasonable speed. BOA is a bunch of jerks charging $3 per--this after 15 years of loyalty.

If anyone wanted to be a huge help and PM me a few CU's in the NOVA/DC area they use--I'd be grateful. Won't abuse, just looking to diversify. My wife doesn't want to have to reestablish all of our financial relationships. Haha
$3 is a small price to pay for more MS profits.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: