Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RedSun
Wiki Link
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 23, 16, 4:58 pm

I am trying to pay my card from my WF checking account, but the WF checking account disappeared from the "From Account" drop down menu. Anyone has the same problem?
Old Feb 23, 16, 6:06 pm

[QUOTE=alpinewhite;26218198]Cash and MOs are equally badly scrutinized. Ask me how I know.[/QOUTE]

Ok, I'll bite. How do you know?
Old Feb 25, 16, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post
Ok, I'll bite. How do you know?
Been shut down by the following for depositing too much cash:
- USBank
- Citibank

Been shut down by the following for depositing too many MOs:
- BofA
- WF

Been called by the back office for depositing too many MOs. Luckily, I was able to talk my way out of the situation and said that there are no more:
- Chase
- One West Bank

edit: forgot to add that WF Checking also shut me down which took WFCC down with it. Took me a year to make amends with them. Yes, never poop where you eat. It was a lesson I learned very quickly.

Last edited by alpinewhite; Feb 26, 16 at 2:19 am
Old Feb 25, 16, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), Hyatt PLT, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by alpinewhite View Post
Been shut down by the following for depositing too much cash:
- USBank
- Citibank

Been shut down by the following for depositing too many MOs:
- BofA

Been called by the back office for depositing too many MOs. Luckily, I was able to talk my way out of the situation and said that there are no more:
- Chase
- One West Bank
and the question is........ how much was too much ??
Old Feb 25, 16, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by g1ant View Post
and the question is........ how much was too much ??
USBank and Citi didn't like weekly cash deposits for $10k. After two months or so, they shut me down.

BofA didn't like weekly deposits of $10k MOs. After two months, account was shut down without notice. Chase and OWB, at least, called me to ask for an explanation of the source of MOs.

Of course, YMMV. I salvaged Chase because I had other regular traffic in and out of that acct (monthly BPs). I got lucky with OWB.
Old Feb 25, 16, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by alpinewhite View Post
USBank and Citi didn't like weekly cash deposits for $10k. After two months or so, they shut me down.

BofA didn't like weekly deposits of $10k MOs. After two months, account was shut down without notice. Chase and OWB, at least, called me to ask for an explanation of the source of MOs.

Of course, YMMV. I salvaged Chase because I had other regular traffic in and out of that acct (monthly BPs). I got lucky with OWB.
This is why I have been preaching to people "Do not poop where you eat, or you will end up with ecoli."
Sorry for you losses, but you can expect all cc's with the banks to be shut down in the coming months. If you have any points/etc. with them I would move them, or cash them out, NOW.
Old Feb 25, 16, 8:42 pm

So, how about paying off your WF credit card from a Spouse's WF checking account? Will this free up credit instantly? Does this throw any red flags? I figure spreading out the volume over 2 WF checking accounts would be better than focusing all the money into one account, thoughts?
Old Feb 25, 16, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by rburrel View Post
So, how about paying off your WF credit card from a Spouse's WF checking account? Will this free up credit instantly? Does this throw any red flags? I figure spreading out the volume over 2 WF checking accounts would be better than focusing all the money into one account, thoughts?
Why? Trying to hide something from WF by spreading it out into 2 WF accounts? Makes no sense to me and seems futile. I doubt you will get many replies, as I am doubtful many, if any, here do that.
Old Feb 25, 16, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by rburrel View Post
I use my WF checking account to pay for my sister's WF cc. Her credit does not free up "instantly"; it takes 24 hours and I have not seen more than 24 hours. I use her WF cc and purchase 2k per day for the past 2 months without problem.
Old Feb 26, 16, 12:36 am

Regarding "seasoning"; a couple of questions:

Speaking bluntly I have a checking account, 3 months or so old, sitting with 4500 give or take. I have even used the (nonrewards obv) debit card a couple of times to show movement

So my questions

1) how much longer should I "season" before applying

2) with a decent income, and good credit scores, how much CC credit line should I expect sitting there with 4500 in account?

I can float more to make it look good but really want somewhere around 15k credit line minimum (so I don't have to cycle as much) to maximize the 6 months with the 5%
Old Feb 26, 16, 12:50 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Joshy119 View Post
Regarding "seasoning"; a couple of questions:

Speaking bluntly I have a checking account, 3 months or so old, sitting with 4500 give or take. I have even used the (nonrewards obv) debit card a couple of times to show movement

So my questions

1) how much longer should I "season" before applying

2) with a decent income, and good credit scores, how much CC credit line should I expect sitting there with 4500 in account?

I can float more to make it look good but really want somewhere around 15k credit line minimum (so I don't have to cycle as much) to maximize the 6 months with the 5%
I'd season a bit longer if I were you. I tried a couple if times and in the end phoned, the rep telling me that 6 months was more normal, especially with low account activity (mine was like yours).

When I eventually got the card it was fraud alert central, sigh. Not sure why I bothered.
Old Feb 26, 16, 2:20 am

Thank you, user name
Old Feb 26, 16, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by travelfreaks View Post
This is why I have been preaching to people "Do not poop where you eat, or you will end up with ecoli."
Sorry for you losses, but you can expect all cc's with the banks to be shut down in the coming months. If you have any points/etc. with them I would move them, or cash them out, NOW.
Yes, now I know after that. WF (second round) has yet to see one MO from me. All I deposit there are HELOC checks. I use a transfer from WFChecking to WFCC as payment.
Old Mar 3, 16, 2:05 pm

Few days ago I recd WF 5X card with megar $7K line of credit. What kind of CL people have been getting? Reading through the pages here, few people talked about getting 3-5K. Are they so stingy?
Old Mar 3, 16, 2:25 pm

$15k starting CL

Search this Thread
Search Engine: