Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RedSun
Wiki Link
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 7, 16, 2:56 pm

Anyone not get their February cash back?
Old Feb 8, 16, 10:43 am

I have WF checking account this is nice and seasoned- Have a "relationship" with them. Got the cash back and blew through that 6 months, then got the rewards card and am now done with that. To get my wife a card, anyone know if I can add her to my checking account and get her my relationship history with Wells? Or does she need separate checking?
Old Feb 8, 16, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by pwm112 View Post
I have WF checking account this is nice and seasoned- Have a "relationship" with them. Got the cash back and blew through that 6 months, then got the rewards card and am now done with that. To get my wife a card, anyone know if I can add her to my checking account and get her my relationship history with Wells? Or does she need separate checking?
Did you close your cash back before you applied for the rewards?

When I asked WF if I could add my wife to my checking account, they wanted me to go to a branch, and there wasn't any, so I opened a new joint checking then applied for the rewards card.
Old Feb 9, 16, 8:36 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I just got the confirmation email for February overnight... should be in my account tomorrow.

Originally Posted by ninetwosix View Post
Anyone not get their February cash back?
Old Feb 9, 16, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by pwm112 View Post
My wife and I have a joint checking account and have both had the card. Each of us was able to pay the credit card from the same joint checking account. Not sure of any differences if you add her after the fact, but I wouldn't think so.
Old Feb 11, 16, 7:14 am

I have just received 40K bonus for WF world propel card. In few months would like to apply for WF 5X visa rewards card. I have read here somewhere that you can only have bonus for one card at a time with WF. In that case, it would be prudent to close propel and then in few months apply for visa rewards card. Has anyone traveled this path before?
Old Feb 11, 16, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by nfpa70e View Post
I have just received 40K bonus for WF world propel card. In few months would like to apply for WF 5X visa rewards card. I have read here somewhere that you can only have bonus for one card at a time with WF. In that case, it would be prudent to close propel and then in few months apply for visa rewards card. Has anyone traveled this path before?
I think the consensus is that you should wait until you no longer see any reference to the propel awards account on your WF page, which can take a while. Maybe there are data points to argue sooner, but I am not aware of them.
Old Feb 15, 16, 1:05 pm

Trying to cycle WF 5X; on a $10K CL, Available credit is $1.5K and outstanding balance $0, meaning if I paid any more, the OB will become negative. Digging more into it, looks like some of the payment made to CC remains on hold up to 10-14 days, especially if they were paid from external accounts and that is why the CL is not freeing up.

I'm not sure if this is because it is a new account and all these banks relax stringent stipulations after a month. Would like to hear more on how to cycle this fast. So far I have done 2X CL(total of $20K) and I still have 10 days left this month.

Last edited by nfpa70e; Feb 15, 16 at 7:23 pm
Old Feb 15, 16, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest
Trying to cycle WF 5X; on a $10K CL, Available credit is $1.5K and outstanding balance $0, meaning if I paid any more, the OB will become negative. Digging more into it, looks some of the payment made remains on hold upto 10-14 days, especially if they were paid from external accounts and that is why the CL is not freeing up.

I'm not sure if this is because it is new account and all these banks relax stringent stipulations after a month. Would like to hear more on how to cycle this fast. So far I have done 2X CL and I still have 10 days left this month.
Step 1: Open up a WF Checking account, worked for me.
Old Feb 15, 16, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by XtraPerks View Post
Step 1: Open up a WF Checking account, worked for me.
I have the WF checking account and have been paying CC from this account; As I said, I have also paid the CC from external account such as serve.

Last edited by nfpa70e; Feb 15, 16 at 6:45 pm
Old Feb 15, 16, 5:58 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Priority, SPG - AA, Hawaiian Airline, United, US Airline
I have 2 days left as of 02/15/16.

02/16/16: 1 day left
02/17/16: 0 day left

So will I earn 5x on 02/17/16? Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 16, 1:04 pm

I'm not sure if this is because it is a new account and all these banks relax stringent stipulations after a month.
No. No.
Old Feb 16, 16, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Exclamation

Members are reminded that as per FT Rules members may not direct personal comments toward others. Also any posts you feel are inappropriate are to be reported to a forum moderator using the 'report a post' icon and left for us to handle. Members are not to engage or respond to posts the find inappropriate as in doing do will subject them to the same disciplinary consequences.

After deleting a number of posts let's get back to the thread topic at hand and not going after each other.

tcook052
MS forum moderator
Old Feb 20, 16, 4:08 pm

I have started to ramp up on this card over the last couple of weeks and I have a question regarding paying off the balance through WF checking account.

I know it's a "no no" to deposit MO's into WFC. What is the verdict on depositing cash or checks into the WFC account? Is there any added risk associated with this?

I have a BofA across the street from WF. I've been dumping my MO's there. It would be really easy for me to draw 6 or 8k out of this account and walk across the street and deposit into my WF account. This doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me as many people get paid in cash.

Also, how about personal check deposits. I'm thinking of letting my wife deposit 6 or 8 MO's into her bank account, then write me one, large check that I would deposit directly into WF checking account. Thoughts?
Old Feb 20, 16, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by rburrel View Post
I know it's a "no no" to deposit MO's into WFC. What is the verdict on depositing cash or checks into the WFC account? Is there any added risk associated with this?

I have a BofA across the street from WF. I've been dumping my MO's there. It would be really easy for me to draw 6 or 8k out of this account and walk across the street and deposit into my WF account. This doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me as many people get paid in cash.
Cash and MOs are equally badly scrutinized. Ask me how I know.

Originally Posted by rburrel View Post
Also, how about personal check deposits. I'm thinking of letting my wife deposit 6 or 8 MO's into her bank account, then write me one, large check that I would deposit directly into WF checking account. Thoughts?
This should be ok. But then your wife will eventually have the issue of depositing MOs.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: