Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 16, 19, 11:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RedSun
Wiki Link
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 27, 16, 11:47 am

I might be unlucky but I got shut down by a credit union that did not buy what you said. Was depositing MOs and ramped to 3~4k per month. Talked to the manager and he said it's a decision made by the back office and "nonnegotiable".

Originally Posted by CWAL View Post
"I buy these money orders with debit cards that earn me airline miles and points"

Works at pretty much any stage of the process.
Old Jan 27, 16, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by nfpa70e View Post
I love this short and sweet answer. Not try to get too defensive about it, act like it is an innocent act.
What do you mean 'act like'?
Old Jan 27, 16, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by usalibido View Post
I might be unlucky but I got shut down by a credit union that did not buy what you said. Was depositing MOs and ramped to 3~4k per month. Talked to the manager and he said it's a decision made by the back office and "nonnegotiable".

That's a thing, when they only see so many MOs coming in and ACHs going out. It is a typical pattern. So people telling they are depositing 200K in a month, I doubt it. You could perhaps do that type of volume when Target, serve, and all the avenues put together.

Having said that would it be better to go with non CUs? As long as the bank has online access and ACH, that's all we care about.
Old Jan 27, 16, 1:21 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by hamokmonky View Post
LOL. Good luck getting any bank to not raise eye brows at 100K. Just bc they didn't shut you down yet doesn't mean you didn't make their radar. There are plenty of data points of people getting shut down just doing 5K in the first month at some banks.
You have your data points, I have mine...of my own results. Whatever floats your boat.
Old Jan 27, 16, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post
As for the MO deposits, just curious what would be a reasonable answer to give a teller who asks why I am depositing MOs from myself to myself. So far I have avoided such questions using mobile apps, but I am hitting the limit on those and need to visit the branch....
Tell them you go to car and real estate auctions, where payment is required in cash or certified funds, and you don't want to carry around 50k in blank MOs so you make them to yourself first, then sign over to the seller if needed.
Old Jan 27, 16, 5:09 pm
Suspended

Finally in business and my card works! Question: Can I make a transfer/payment onto the card to release credit line while my charges from today are pending? Will this lead me to a shut down?
Old Jan 27, 16, 5:12 pm
Suspended

I love this short and sweet answer. Not try to get too defensive about it, act like it is an innocent act.
"rent checks". Although, one teller filed a SAR on me when depositing 2k in MG MO. When usually it takes 90 seconds to make a deposit and this teller was typing for five minutes.. something was clearly up.
Old Jan 27, 16, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet View Post
Tell them you go to car and real estate auctions, where payment is required in cash or certified funds, and you don't want to carry around 50k in blank MOs so you make them to yourself first, then sign over to the seller if needed.
I wonder how this is plausible. Once you write your name on MO, it can't be cashed/deposited in some other person's name.

On a different subject, today I bought 3 VGCs at WM and fourth one got to the signature stage and the terminal asked me to remove my chip card and then when it is finally printing out the receipt, it bombed. So we tried it two more time, same thing happened, when I look at my WF temporary transactions, I see 7 X 500 purchases instead of 3. Hope it will fix itself.
Old Jan 27, 16, 7:01 pm

I wonder how this is plausible. Once you write your name on MO, it can't be cashed/deposited in some other person's name.
Yes it can be, you can transfer over the checks. It's done all the time. You really think someone will show up with 100k+ in blank money orders to a courthouse auction of real estate? It's asking to be robbed.
Old Jan 27, 16, 7:46 pm

Likely about to get hit with my first bank shutdown right now. Did a fair number of MOs. Bank has put me on hold and funds can't be removed. They keep dancing around all the questions I ask. Seriously, why do they even care? They are making money on all the money I hold at the bank... I'd had never even heard it was a negative to deposit money in a bank until I came here.

I've heard local credit unions aren't a good option. Any national bank worth trying?
Old Jan 31, 16, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by cdog999 View Post
I've heard local credit unions aren't a good option. Any national bank worth trying?
YMMV on CUs, I find them a lot better than the big ones.

as to what to avoid, take a hint from this: beware of the boa constrictor that will chase you in all u.s. cities.
Old Jan 31, 16, 12:56 pm

Bad application link - avoid it.

Originally Posted by ajhardee View Post
My brother applied in the bank and they gave him the wrong card. He had to cancel that card and re-apply for the "Signature" card. Finally they approved him after 2 months of fighting with the bank. Keep us posted!
The takeaway is that one should not use that application link shown on one's WF checking account home page. You should always have a proof that you applied to that particular version of a card. Screenshots are unlikely to work.
When you are approved,WF sends you a welcome letter with TC attached in PDF, but that file was damaged both times myself and my wife applied.

My wife applied online because she received a targeted offer that already contained the 5% language, and everything went fine in the end.
Old Jan 31, 16, 1:01 pm

ACH question

Do the ACH push/pull limits mentioned in this thread apply only to transferring funds to/from checking accounts?

There is an option on WF website to pay the WF CC directly from, say, my US Bank checking account. Likewise, I can log into my US Bank account and pay the WF CC via bill pay. Are there any limits for those transactions?
Old Feb 1, 16, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by NikSem View Post
The takeaway is that one should not use that application link shown on one's WF checking account home page.
He didn't apply online. He went to a WF branch and applied in person both times.
Old Feb 1, 16, 8:33 pm

May be the guy who processed his application used a similar broken link the first time. Note that the "bad" 1% version offers 18 months no/low interest whereas the 5% "good" version offers only 15 months. When I used that bad link, I saw both of these benefits in TC, so that's how you may know something is wrong.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: