Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Anyone know if there is a way to increase the credit line without a csr looking at it? An automated option like chase has? Just completed my first month and did 3x my $7k limit, but the low limit, the slow posting of charges, and the hold on checks from my other bank into my WF checking account is holding me back.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by bjones2571
Anyone know if there is a way to increase the credit line without a csr looking at it? An automated option like chase has? Just completed my first month and did 3x my $7k limit, but the low limit, the slow posting of charges, and the hold on checks from my other bank into my WF checking account is holding me back.
Can't help you with most of this, but I can say that I did multiples of my CL the first month, and asked for/received CLI near the end of the first month with no adverse effects.

Posting of charges can't be helped, other than your choice in merchants. Some merchants take 2 biz days, some take 3. Stick with the 2 day merchants where possible.

My check funds are always available next business day, both at ATM deposit and teller. If you can't seem to get WF to give you next day funds, maybe your account hasn't been open long enough? Try getting a bank that can ACH push next business day for free, that's extremely helpful.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:44 pm

Just got approval from my wife to get the 5% wf card. Which one should I apply for. Visa cash back or visa signature cash back. I don't see platinum as an option.

I've had a Wells Fargo checking account with PMA/brokerage for about 6 years now. I'm interested in getting the highest CL possible. And, I'm likely not interested in using the points for travel unless I'm able to transfer the points via a broker for a higher dollar conversion.

Also, anyone have any idea if its better to apply over the phone for someone that has been with Wells Fargo for a long time but never had a credit card? Wondering if there is a way I can squeeze out some additional Credit Limit.

Last edited by cdog999; Jan 2, 2016 at 8:12 am
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:08 am

Has anybody had trouble with bait & switch when applying for this card? I received a targeted offer in my WF banking messages for the 5% Visa Signature cash back card. I applied online and was approved with a 14k CL. The problem is that after I was approved I read over the T&C and noticed that the section referring to the 5% bonus was not included. This section can be found if you just google the credit card offer and read over the T&C attached to it. When logging into my rewards, I can't find anything that mentioned the 5% bonus as well.

I called WF and explained the Terms & conditions discrepancy. The first time I was referred to WF rewards department who said they don't know anything until I activate my card and use it. The second time I called the guy just said that the visa cash back card will have the 5% attached to it, but when I explained the missing section in the TC he just said, "Is there anything else I can help you with".

I've also sent a secure message for them to confirm the offer and if they don't I won't be activating my card.

So my question is, when I receive the card in the mail, should I try it out? Or do I maintain some leverage by not activating it. Thanks!

FYI, I've never had a WF credit card, so that's not the problem.

Last edited by rburrel; Jan 2, 2016 at 10:15 am
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by rburrel
Has anybody had trouble with bait & switch when applying for this card? I received a targeted offer in my WF banking messages for the 5% Visa Signature cash back card. I applied online and was approved with a 14k CL. The problem is that after I was approved I read over the T&C and noticed that the section referring to the 5% bonus was not included. This section can be found if you just google the credit card offer and read over the T&C attached to it. When logging into my rewards, I can't find anything that mentioned the 5% bonus as well.

I called WF and explained the Terms & conditions discrepancy. The first time I was referred to WF rewards department who said they don't know anything until I activate my card and use it. The second time I called the guy just said that the visa cash back card will have the 5% attached to it, but when I explained the missing section in the TC he just said, "Is there anything else I can help you with".

I've also sent a secure message for them to confirm the offer and if they don't I won't be activating my card.

So my question is, when I receive the card in the mail, should I try it out? Or do I maintain some leverage by not activating it. Thanks!

FYI, I've never had a WF credit card, so that's not the problem.
Curious what you find out as I see a "0.00% introductory APR for 18 months" Cash Back Visa. Don't really need that, but I see the following under tab 2 on the offer:

Earn 5% cash rewards on gas, grocery, and drugstore net purchases for the first 6 months and 1% cash back on all other net purchases every day.Important Information and Footnotes 2

5% cash rewards (1% base plus 4% bonus) are earned for every $1 spent in net purchases (purchases minus returns/credits) during the first 6 months, from the date the credit card account is opened, at retailers whose merchant code for Visa is classified grocery stores, drugstores, and gas stations. Purchases not processed using these merchant codes for Visa will not qualify for bonus cash rewards. Wells Fargo does not have the ability to control how a retailer chooses to classify their business and therefore reserves the right to determine which purchases qualify for cash rewards. For all other purchases a 1% cash reward is earned for each $1 spent in net purchases. Cash rewards are redeemed in increments of $25 only. Certain purchases/transactions do not earn cash rewards; Please see the Summary to the Wells Fargo Rewards® Program Terms and Conditions and Addendum for the Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa® Credit Card for details.
Trying to decide right now how to apply. Over the phone or online? Through a targeted ad or just regular? And, Visa Cash back vs Visa Cash Back Signature?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
Curious what you find out as I see a "0.00% introductory APR for 18 months" Cash Back Visa. Don't really need that, but I see the following under tab 2 on the offer:

Trying to decide right now how to apply. Over the phone or online? Through a targeted ad or just regular? And, Visa Cash back vs Visa Cash Back Signature?
oh boy, I did receive 0% APR for 18 months. That is the first time I have heard of this being "the" promotional offer. I'll let you know how things turn out. Make sure you read over the T&C thoroughly before applying!

Edit: Where do you see the 0% or 18 month offer. I can't find it anywhere online. Thanks.

Last edited by rburrel; Jan 2, 2016 at 10:53 am
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:28 pm

oh boy, I did receive 0% APR for 18 months. That is the first time I have heard of this being "the" promotional offer. I'll let you know how things turn out. Make sure you read over the T&C thoroughly before applying!

Edit: Where do you see the 0% or 18 month offer. I can't find it anywhere online. Thanks.
Products & Offers tab. I had it for the Visa Cash Back card. My wife does not have it on her account. Think I should go for this over just applying for the Visa Signature Cash Back card (the other card)? I really want to make sure and get a high CL.

I'm debating whether I should give a banker a call on Monday...

Last edited by cdog999; Jan 2, 2016 at 12:40 pm
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:31 pm

When logging into my rewards, I can't find anything that mentioned the 5% bonus as well.
It would be under the "Activity" tab and would have a countdown of how many days the bonus has left.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 1:31 pm

I am fuming right now!!! So I've talked with about 5 different CSR's today, all of which confirming that I will get the 5x bonus even though I cant find it on my account and it's not mentioned in my T&C.

Well, I have a friend who also recently applied for the card and he went and logged into his account. Not surprisingly, his 5% bonus shows up in the account activity tab, and is also included in his T&S. Based on what I read here, I finally concluded that when I went to apply, I clicked on the 0% for 18 months targeted offer. I specifically remember clicking this offer and being confused whether or not this was the 5% card; however, on this offer, one of the bulleted items was "5% cashback for groc/dining/etc..", so I thought, "ok, that's what I want" and went ahead with the application.

So I call WF back. This time I don't give them the option to tell me that I have the 5% offer. I tell them I thought I was signing up for the 5% card, but believe that maybe I have been enrolled in the 0% for 18 months offer instead. And explain how my friends account shows the 5%, but mine doesn't. The CSR confirms that I DO NOT have the 5% promotion, but the 0%apr promotion instead!

So I explain to her that I don't give a flip about the 0%apr, and the reason I applied for the card was for the 5% promotion, so I need those switched. She then puts me on hold to talk to her supervisor. She comes back 5 minutes later to tell me that they have to request the 5% be added to my account with the executive office, and that said office will contact me within 1 to 5 business days with their decision.

I also mentioned that I would be canceling all my wells fargo accounts if this wasn't straightened up, (I have a checking account plus a sizable HSA account with them).
Old Jan 2, 2016, 1:43 pm

I am fuming right now!!! So I've talked with about 5 different CSR's today, all of which confirming that I will get the 5x bonus even though I cant find it on my account and it's not mentioned in my T&C.

Well, I have a friend who also recently applied for the card and he went and logged into his account. Not surprisingly, his 5% bonus shows up in the account activity tab, and is also included in his T&S. Based on what I read here, I finally concluded that when I went to apply, I clicked on the 0% for 18 months targeted offer. I specifically remember clicking this offer and being confused whether or not this was the 5% card; however, on this offer, one of the bulleted items was "5% cashback for groc/dining/etc..", so I thought, "ok, that's what I want" and went ahead with the application.

So I call WF back. This time I don't give them the option to tell me that I have the 5% offer. I tell them I thought I was signing up for the 5% card, but believe that maybe I have been enrolled in the 0% for 18 months offer instead. And explain how my friends account shows the 5%, but mine doesn't. The CSR confirms that I DO NOT have the 5% promotion, but the 0%apr promotion instead!

So I explain to her that I don't give a flip about the 0%apr, and the reason I applied for the card was for the 5% promotion, so I need those switched. She then puts me on hold to talk to her supervisor. She comes back 5 minutes later to tell me that they have to request the 5% be added to my account with the executive office, and that said office will contact me within 1 to 5 business days with their decision.

I also mentioned that I would be canceling all my wells fargo accounts if this wasn't straightened up, (I have a checking account plus a sizable HSA account with them).
Sounds like someone at WF may have screwed up or you may have read something incorrectly. Either way, you contacted them, figured out the issue and they are figuring out a way to fix it. Inconvenient? Yes. A reason to freak out? No. At least give them a bit of time to fix the issue. You'll have 6 months to MS with this card, missing out on the first week won't kill you.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CWAL
Can't help you with most of this, but I can say that I did multiples of my CL the first month, and asked for/received CLI near the end of the first month with no adverse effects.

Posting of charges can't be helped, other than your choice in merchants. Some merchants take 2 biz days, some take 3. Stick with the 2 day merchants where possible.

My check funds are always available next business day, both at ATM deposit and teller. If you can't seem to get WF to give you next day funds, maybe your account hasn't been open long enough? Try getting a bank that can ACH push next business day for free, that's extremely helpful.
Hmm, anyone else have success with a CLI without adverse effects? Just worried that they'd look at the thousands of dollars spent at my local Kroger with suspicion. Maybe if they ask I tell I them I opened a food truck? Lol.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:42 pm

Hmm, anyone else have success with a CLI without adverse effects? Just worried that they'd look at the thousands of dollars spent at my local Kroger with suspicion. Maybe if they ask I tell I them I opened a food truck? Lol.
I never answered the questions they didn't ask.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CWAL
I never answered the questions they didn't ask.
Did it require another hard pull?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:48 pm

Did it require another hard pull?
Nope, get it in within 30 days and you should be good.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:00 pm

always best to get mad and blame the bank when you made the error

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.