Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 8:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, DL Diamond 1MM, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AMEX 2015 Centurion
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Whoa, slow down. That sounds like a great way to be suspected of structuring. I don't know if you're aware but this will get you in a lot of trouble with the Feds, which is worse than any bank shutdown.

A better strategy is to find one bank that tolerates your $hitting and stick with it. WF happens to be one of them, and speaking of $shitting where you eat, they even built a hole into my dining chair.

My point was, I wouldn't recommend depositing MO's into a bank in which you have a relationship with that you would like to keep.

I would argue that if the Feds looked into any of us, they would become suspicious of some illegal activity. Huge amounts of MO deposits don't look fishy at all . Good documentation and record keeping is critical!

I'm curious, what volume are you throwing at WF? They shut me down for multiple small <$1 account verification deposits (customer of many years and had a significant amount of money in the account)...how you have stayed alive depositing MOs in their accounts, is a miracle.

Speaking of your dining room table, I'm pretty sure WF bought my dining room table from all that glorious cash back they gave me ...they even threw in a sizable donation towards my kitchen remodel while they were at it!
Old May 28, 2016, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
I don't know if it's dependent on your particular bank tellers but I've done very heavy MS with MOs for 3+ years now.
Have no WFs near me. Would just use them for Mobile Deposit (I know its only limited to 5K a month but there doesn't seem to be any big MS opportunities after this one)
Old May 28, 2016, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
^This exactly

People just like to regurgitate the term "structuring" in these types of forums for fear mongering . Any IRS agent, accountant, or finance lawyer worth their salt will tell you structuring is very hard to prove and even harder to prosecute.
And they do not even try to prosecute unless there is underlying criminal activity.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
Is WF actually MO friendly? I don't plan on sending any there now, but would be nice to use them in the future.
Wells Fargo ATMs are very friendly. However, never deposit at the ATM outside their Shiprock, NM, branch on the Navajo Reservation. That triggered scrutiny that led to the closing of all my deposit accounts and accounts of others on which I was joint owner. Before that, I got three solid years of use out of the account.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by AugustWest
And they do not even try to prosecute unless there is underlying criminal activity.
uh, so far from the truth not even funny.
perhaps u should keep your ill founded opinions based on nothing to yourself
Old May 28, 2016, 11:48 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by edbyu
+1. We received the letter a few weeks ago. Didn't do anything since the letter; had a trip to Europe already on the books. CC account closed yesterday.

Again, zero activity since I received the letter, but there was certainly activity on the account in the time between WF mailing the letter and us receiving it.
Was the activity in those short days between the date of the letter and your reception of it, amount to over your cl or cycled? If not, did you have ny MO's deposited into WF during that time or ACH into during that time? Thanks for details, although it's fine to keep general and not too detailed if preferred.
Old May 28, 2016, 12:19 pm

If I had to guess

Last edited by cdog999; May 28, 2016 at 4:31 pm
Old May 29, 2016, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by wrinkle7
uh, so far from the truth not even funny.
perhaps u should keep your ill founded opinions based on nothing to yourself
Here is my source:
https://www.justice.gov/sites/defaul...-directive.pdf

Where is yours?

I advise that you learn to look for information and to read before spewing accusations. Then, at least try to use good English and be a bit witty about it.

There is plenty to worry about in this game, but that is not one of them.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:01 am

Here is my source:
https://www.justice.gov/sites/defaul...-directive.pdf

Where is yours?

I advise that you learn to look for information and to read before spewing accusations. Then, at least try to use good English and be a bit witty about it.

There is plenty to worry about in this game, but that is not one of them.
Great post. And once again, it applies to "currency transactions", not money orders. Now we've heard it straight from the Attorney General himself.
Old May 29, 2016, 2:38 pm

structuring is very easy to prove, your link is referring to parameters for asset seizure only.
peeps who structure purposely or inadvertently wont have their assets seized, but will be convicted, pay a penalty and a fine or go to jail.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; May 29, 2016 at 4:35 pm Reason: off topic
Old May 29, 2016, 3:20 pm

I know I've asked this before but has there ever been a verifiable instance of MS ever resulting in asset seizure or prison time?

Has there ever been verifiable legal issues/litagation of any sort tied in with MSing?

The most I have ever read, in a scattered instances, has been a few cases of men in black asking questions
Old May 29, 2016, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Joshy119
I know I've asked this before but has there ever been a verifiable instance of MS ever resulting in asset seizure or prison time?

Has there ever been verifiable legal issues/litagation of any sort tied in with MSing?

The most I have ever read, in a scattered instances, has been a few cases of men in black asking questions
Thank you Joshy,
The perfect questions. I have scoured this and other sites and have found zero instances.
Of course they may be silent (but why?).

wrinklecretins and their histrionics aside, the real-enough worries are bank and cc shutdowns.
Old May 31, 2016, 5:58 am

Thank you Joshy,
The perfect questions. I have scoured this and other sites and have found zero instances.
Of course they may be silent (but why?).

wrinklecretins and their histrionics aside, the real-enough worries are bank and cc shutdowns.
Gag order as part of a settlement?
Old May 31, 2016, 9:08 am

Any new letters or shutdowns?
Old May 31, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Points in my wifes account are frozen as of right now, showed pending redeemable 6/28 the other day, now pending 7/29.

I feel a communication is necessary to them, and then maybe the CFPB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.