Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:25 pm

so since PO is denying metas now... do you think simon will notice the 90% in their vgc sales and wonder why and mabye switch to another card bank? =)
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by hyperdallas
so since PO is denying metas now... do you think simon will notice the 90% in their vgc sales and wonder why and mabye switch to another card bank? =)
Maybe some drop off, but plenty of people also liquidate Simons at WM or grocery stores.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Maybe some drop off, but plenty of people also liquidate Simons at WM or grocery stores.
People only doing MO at USPS I believe is definitely in the minority...this shouldn't affect things much at all IMO
Old Oct 20, 2016, 7:30 am

I only cash out vanilla gc at PO and use WM MO and BP for meta. I just bought 3 vanillas on my Freedom card at CVS.

Is the ATT Access More card still earning 3% at simonmall.com? I am thinking of going that route. How many can you buy online per day?

Thanks for any replies.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Travelz
I only cash out vanilla gc at PO and use WM MO and BP for meta. I just bought 3 vanillas on my Freedom card at CVS.

Is the ATT Access More card still earning 3% at simonmall.com? I am thinking of going that route. How many can you buy online per day?

Thanks for any replies.
Simon will cancel your orders and ban you after the 3rd or 4th time...that is if your ATT card doesn't get closed by citi first.

Citi watches doublecash and ATT cards closely for MS moreso than other cards.

Last edited by dawgsontop; Oct 27, 2016 at 9:51 pm
Old Oct 22, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by dawgsontop

They're not watching closely enough at least not the 2x cash one.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
same
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:39 am

Programs: Several dozen
Just remember - the nail that sticks up gets hammered down.

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by dawgsontop

I would agree if we are talking about just straight out MSing with no organic. Mix it in with some decent organic each month and you're fine. I've hit both the DC and the ATT card HARD over the last year since I can pay them over the phone with a 1% debit card I have and I've never heard a peep from Citi.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've used my two DC cards exclusively for MS for quite a while now, with multiple payoffs in a month. Not a peep from Citi. They even raised my CL on both.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
I would agree if we are talking about just straight out MSing with no organic. Mix it in with some decent organic each month and you're fine. I've hit both the DC and the ATT card HARD over the last year since I can pay them over the phone with a 1% debit card I have and I've never heard a peep from Citi.
define "HARD". i was shut down/fired for life by citi for moderate, at best, MS on the double cash card. had no other citi card- so that was it. i just used the card to bring my basis on other MS towards zero.

thus, anecdotally, i'd support the notion that they watch this card closer if your #'s are moderate+. if you prefer to prudently define "HARD" via PM... fine/good- as brag #'s on this forum do harm.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
define "HARD". i was shut down/fired for life by citi for moderate, at best, MS on the double cash card. had no other citi card- so that was it. i just used the card to bring my basis on other MS towards zero.

thus, anecdotally, i'd support the notion that they watch this card closer if your #'s are moderate+. if you prefer to prudently define "HARD" via PM... fine/good- as brag #'s on this forum do harm.
Not the other guy, but I'd say 30k ish a week is pretty hard.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Gold
Wrong Cards

So I really screwed the pooch on this one. Went to a SM that I never go to on the other side of town because I was in the area. Went in and asked for 10 cards. The lady was new (issue #1) so she was gonna try to do the order and call for assistance if necessary. She starts ringing them up, never asks if I needed Visa or Amex (I had done this before so many times that I just assumed it would be Visa, issue #2). I can't see behind the counter because it is a high countertop, but I pay for the cards and she hands them over to me. I look at the packaging and think "hmmm this side of town must have some high dollar packaging" (issue #3), but I am in a hurry and shove them in my pocket and take off. I look later and realize they are AMEX cards . Is there a quick way to liquidate these cards? I know I will take a loss, but I don't want to sit on these. I was thinking Amex -> Kroger VGC -> MO, but not sure if it will be accepted at Self Checkout. Went to try this evening but line was about 20 deep. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by crazy_p.o.w.
So I really screwed the pooch on this one. Went to a SM that I never go to on the other side of town because I was in the area. Went in and asked for 10 cards. The lady was new (issue #1) so she was gonna try to do the order and call for assistance if necessary. She starts ringing them up, never asks if I needed Visa or Amex (I had done this before so many times that I just assumed it would be Visa, issue #2). I can't see behind the counter because it is a high countertop, but I pay for the cards and she hands them over to me. I look at the packaging and think "hmmm this side of town must have some high dollar packaging" (issue #3), but I am in a hurry and shove them in my pocket and take off. I look later and realize they are AMEX cards . Is there a quick way to liquidate these cards? I know I will take a loss, but I don't want to sit on these. I was thinking Amex -> Kroger VGC -> MO, but not sure if it will be accepted at Self Checkout. Went to try this evening but line was about 20 deep. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I once was given Amex instead of Visa by the manager. Returned to the same location later that day and they swapped them. YMMV.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Carl
I once was given Amex instead of Visa by the manager. Returned to the same location later that day and they swapped them. YMMV.
I thought about that, but the receipt says no refunds. I technically am not looking for a refund but an exchange. Wonder how that works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.