Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:43 pm

Card

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
It means that the Kate you tried to load at no longer works with ANY cards. Doesn't matter what kind. This is the norm now, and has been for months. Loading cards at the machine died for almost everyone quite a while back. If you can find a machine that still works with cards, count yourself lucky.

And, in other Breaking News, Ocean Still Wet, Politicians Still Dishonest. Video at 11.
Kate was not working. I tried one card at the service desk and another card at a register. Neither one worked.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by flightmedic
Kate was not working. I tried one card at the service desk and another card at a register. Neither one worked.
Yeah, that was clearly a POS receipt message, which is why I suggested changing the PIN. It usually seems to clear up that issue (although I'm speaking in past tense since my accounts were closed long ago).
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:29 am

Is anyone ever fearful of buying a few thousand in VGCs and you can't turn them into MOs?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:32 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by mikefixac
Is anyone ever fearful of buying a few thousand in VGCs and you can't turn them into MOs?
That's a risk you have to be willing to take. I mean I can float thousands and be fine. Annoyed, but fine
Old Jul 29, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: Several dozen
The risk is not that you will not be able to recycle thousands in gift cards, but that will not be able to do so in a timely manner. Make sure you always have multiple places to buy gift cards, multiple places to buy money orders with gift cards and multiple places to deposit money orders.

Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.

We never buy more than we can float if a problem arises. Must also have more than one liquidation route in case one suddenly vanishes. Risk management for sure. With so many routes gone, many are out of the ms hobby and onto buying/reselling products ("real spend") which has it's own set of risks.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
and never use money that you can't afford to float for 3 - 6 months (because things do go wrong and it can and does take that long to get it back - countless stories here of that happening). Don't gamble with your rent money.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:39 am

Had a nice surprise at my Simon mall. For every $100 they provided a local restaurant gift card worth $25. Only one gift card per month. The CSR said that they frequently have VISA gift card promotions, so this is something that I am going to look into more frequently.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 9:51 am

True. The key to survival is to have a low overhead operation. Over here 100% of the ms is green ms made exclusively by walking and using free public transit.

Originally Posted by Churnman
...With so many routes gone, many are out of the ms hobby...
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
and never use money that you can't afford to float for 3 - 6 months (because things do go wrong and it can and does take that long to get it back - countless stories here of that happening). Don't gamble with your rent money.
I think the real issue some of the newbies get too many CC at once then they go hog wild. Those days are gone, get one or two cards at a time to be able to make your spend.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:02 am

Friendly warning to newbies who may have easy access to SMGCs. Know that MS routes are getting shutdown left and right so it's best to resist the urge to buy in bulk at $9.5K in one visit just to maximize your time and gas. The best/ideal strategy is to drain all of them as quickly as possible and pay your CCs. If you're not ahead and don't make plans A,B,C,D, etc to drain those VGCs so that if one avenue is shutdown, you still have other ways to drain your SMVGCs. Without options to drain or several thousands in your bank account/matress, you'll soon find yourselves in deep debt that can destroy your credit history in a blink, and possibly destroy relationships with loved ones.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 10:42 am

+1^

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Friendly warning to newbies who may have easy access to SMGCs. Know that MS routes are getting shutdown left and right so it's best to resist the urge to buy in bulk at $9.5K in one visit just to maximize your time and gas. The best/ideal strategy is to drain all of them as quickly as possible and pay your CCs. If you're not ahead and don't make plans A,B,C,D, etc to drain those VGCs so that if one avenue is shutdown, you still have other ways to drain your SMVGCs. Without options to drain or several thousands in your bank account/matress, you'll soon find yourselves in deep debt that can destroy your credit history in a blink, and possibly destroy relationships with loved ones.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I think the real issue some of the newbies get too many CC at once then they go hog wild. Those days are gone, get one or two cards at a time to be able to make your spend.
For some reason many of them seem to think AORs are the way to go too...
Old Jul 31, 2016, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
For some reason many of them seem to think AORs are the way to go too...
They're reading outdated blogs.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
They're reading outdated blogs.
Thanks to the inadequacies of Google in large part. I notice that many searches that are time sensitive result in tons of stale and outdated links. It doesn't happen in price and promo code searches. But Google is way behind in detecting other search areas that are also time sensitive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.