Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I went to my Simon mall and got the usual $9.5K, got rid of them on the way to and in Milwaukee, came home and looked at the Temporary Authorizations:

Chase Hyatt -- JOHNSON CRK PRMOTLT 78

Chase UA MP -- JOHNSON CRK PRMOTLT 78

Citi -- DC JOHNSON CRK PRMOTLT 78 JOHNSON CREEK W, Category: MISC GENERAL MERCHANDISE NOT CLASSIFIED

Everything is the same as before.
All mine (Amex, D, Chase) from Saturday looked the same except for $9999 at SM. I don't mind the odd $420 card. It also throws off cashiers when doing an odd MO. I'm trying to get a shop near me to start selling MOs. They already have WU and he said he'd expand service if customers want it.

I went ahead and have lowered cash access to $0 or $20 for two card types and will do the others later.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Guessing you used a Citi card?
Yes I did. Will it not end up counting as spend?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Madone59
Yes I did. Will it not end up counting as spend?
I'm not psychic, I could tell from the merchant description. and that's a sign I spend too much time on this GD hobby.

I bought a GC last weekend (Jan 9 to be exact) with my Citi Hilton Reserve card and it posted as a purchase. Hence why the description was in my memory.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 4:48 am

I'm not psychic, I could tell from the merchant description. and that's a sign I spend too much time on this GD hobby.
I'm gonna sell my house and buy one across the street from SM...
Old Jan 19, 2016, 5:43 am

To update my previous post: my Sunday charge (on my Arrival+) posted as a purchase.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:53 am
Suspended

Yeah, it seems to be a glitch that only affected Thursday... Fridays purchase went through as a purchase..
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I'm not psychic
WHAT? You'r not?! I want my $3 back

It posted as misc, so I'm in the clear.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lost the kiosk at our Simon too.

Now if customers come after office hours, they will no longer have access to wheelchairs or walkers or strollers.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by Happy

Now if customers come after office hours, they will no longer have access to wheelchairs or walkers or strollers.
Mine just got valet parking.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

I stopped by Sunday out of idle curiosity and mine still has the guest services kiosk with people at it. I'm going tomorrow for GCs since I need to be in the area anyway. Hope it's still there! Interestingly, and probably not related, they just ripped out the SBUX kiosk that was across from the guest services one. Apparently they're rebuilding it, which confuses me because the old one was fine. I liked being able to buy my SBUX GCs and Simon GCs in the same trip.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An odd thing happened today. I just received my latest Citi AA MC today, so I decided to go to Simon to put some of the $3000 required spend on it. On the way I bought a little gas with it and then went to WM to buy a $500 GC in an attempt to season the card, but the card was rejected and I paid with another card.

I went on to Simon and checked my phone when I got there, but there were no fraud alerts and when I checked citi.com, no message there, either. So I decided to try $3000 first, then lower amounts until I found an amount that would pass, but $3000 worked fine.

My new Citi Double Cash card had gone the same route on Sunday -- successful small purchases then a rejection on a $500 GC at WM, so I decided to try it at Simon. I tried $2500 and it worked, too.

So I'm wondering why the cards didn't work for a $500+ purchase at WM, but did work for much larger amounts at Simon. Does Citi trust Simon Mall more?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

So I'm wondering why the cards didn't work for a $500+ purchase at WM, but did work for much larger amounts at Simon
I'd posit that it's more of an issuer trusting WM deal, rather than a Simon/Citi thing. Back when I got my ST Delta debit card, ST would lock my debit card after every single MO purchase at WM. Granted they were always $1k+ but I got tired of calling in and unlocking the card. I assume V/MC see a larger than usual amount of fraud/chargebacks/etc at WM given the normal clients it serves. I use the card for the same spend to buy MOs but at a grocery store instead of WM and they have not locked it once.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd posit that it's more of an issuer trusting WM deal, rather than a Simon/Citi thing. Back when I got my ST Delta debit card, ST would lock my debit card after every single MO purchase at WM. Granted they were always $1k+ but I got tired of calling in and unlocking the card. I assume V/MC see a larger than usual amount of fraud/chargebacks/etc at WM given the normal clients it serves. I use the card for the same spend to buy MOs but at a grocery store instead of WM and they have not locked it once.
What's odd to me is that the cards were declined but not locked.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's odd to me is that the cards were declined but not locked.
May be the WM POS now is hardcoded not take CC for Gebits?

All WMTs here the POS do not take CC for Gebit. Hard-coded.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:05 am

May be the WM POS now is hardcoded not take CC for Gebits?

All WMTs here the POS do not take CC for Gebit. Hard-coded.
Bought alot today on CC.

Are you sure it's hard coded? What's your sample size?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.