Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a new thread for 2016. The previous megathread on this topic is here.

The 2017 thread is here.

This thread is about prepaid debit cards from Staples. Please post questions on other topics in the appropriate threads elsewhere in this forum.

To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep. Post #132.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.
  1. Get Chase Ink and BB/Serve
  2. 1% discount: Sign up Ink (must be Visa) at https://www.visasavingsedge.com/ to get 1% cash back at Staples Ended 12/31/14
  3. 5x points: Buy Visa gift cards at Staples or the website. $200 ones charge a hefty $6.95 activation fee (with 1% back it was effectively $4.88).
  4. Liquidate gift cards like any other
Do not order to store, as they sometimes lose the envelopes. The cards come through the mail from GCM just as they would if sent directly to you.

*Note- max purchase at one time seems to be 9x $200 (stays under their $2000 limit)

Pluses to Online purchase:
1. Less time/effort/gasoline vs traveling to store to purchase
2. No mgr override or cashier call to Chase needed for large purchases
3. Can bulk activate by phone after receipt of VGCs
4. Email is a nice way to keep record of your purchases
5. Avoids stupid sticky gum (4x per card) that has to be peeled off of each VGC
6. Rare opportunity to liquidate rewards and/or rebate card (YMMV)

Pluses to in-store purchase:
1. No wait/immediate gratification- mail order can take weeks
2. No risk of someone getting to your mailbox to steal your VGCs before you get them out of there
3. Activated at time of purchase- no need to call in or wait for stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated, see Pluses to Online #3, above)

* FASTEST WAY to liquidate $20 Staples Rebate Visa GCs*
Use for purchase at Costco. The POS at Costco will auto-drain the Staples Visa GC, once you press the green button when the PIN is requested.
Then, swipe the next Staples VGC, press green and repeat! The POS is so fast, you can keep feeding 4 - 5 total $20 cards and the cashier will not even care!
Print Wikipost

Visa Gift cards at Staples (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by iahphx

It seems like some folks do split-payment GC transactions at Walmart and other stores to buy money orders, but that seems dicey to me. I encounter few cashiers who are comfortable with such transactions, and they look sketchy to begin with.

Has anyone ever gone to a cashier and told "the truth" about why they want a split-payment money order purchase? Something like "Hey, I received a bunch of these gift cards and I just want to get rid of them: can I consolidate them to purchase a money order?"

Not sure how well that would work. I guess it depends on the store and on the cashier.
I don't ever volunteer that information about why I am doing Split payments. But the cashiers at my favorite Walmart know exactly what I am doing and why(there are many others doing the same thing. I have even met some of them in line at the money center). I go enough that they know me pretty well and make friendly comments about the miles and points I must be earning. It definitely depends on the cashier and the store.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:09 pm

It's freakin Walmart! They are used to all kinds of screwy payment methods. Paying in all coins, using bottle deposit funds, using up 10.22 off of 3 different giftcards. Paying half the bill with WIC and the other half in a combination of crumpled up dollar bills and soda pop caps.

Seriously, don't act self conscious or suspicious as most likely they have seen it all
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:11 am

Yeah, because of their low denominations, Staples MS seems the most endangered by the BB/Serve shutdowns.

Has anyone ever gone to a cashier and told "the truth" about why they want a split-payment money order purchase? Something like "Hey, I received a bunch of these gift cards and I just want to get rid of them: can I consolidate them to purchase a money order?"
I have to assume this is a joke. There are about a million "reasons" why I need to swipe my debit card twice (or three times) getting a MO or MO's. If you've been in the game since 2000 you no doubt can think of a few. Hint, saying "I'm trying to unload some gift cards" is not one of them. Some of my MO places I swipe the second time without asking them because the system will allow split tender without the cashier having to do anything and the MO's are already printing. Some cashiers are confused, some don't care, some are just glad you aren't buying power ball tickets. Had one get a little confused with a small side of agitation but that was because she thought she was going to have to re-do the transaction after my second swipe but once the printer started she quickly went back into IDGARA mode. Of course, all of this in moderation, you certainly don't go in with $200 Staples cards and get a 2k money order and swipe ten times. That would get it killed fast.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
I have to assume this is a joke. There are about a million "reasons" why I need to swipe my debit card twice (or three times) getting a MO or MO's. If you've been in the game since 2000 you no doubt can think of a few. Hint, saying "I'm trying to unload some gift cards" is not one of them. Some of my MO places I swipe the second time without asking them because the system will allow split tender without the cashier having to do anything and the MO's are already printing. Some cashiers are confused, some don't care, some are just glad you aren't buying power ball tickets. Had one get a little confused with a small side of agitation but that was because she thought she was going to have to re-do the transaction after my second swipe but once the printer started she quickly went back into IDGARA mode. Of course, all of this in moderation, you certainly don't go in with $200 Staples cards and get a 2k money order and swipe ten times. That would get it killed fast.
Not a joke, of course. Most of us here -- not to mention 99.99999% of the general population -- does not walk into a store and present multiple forms of payment to buy money orders. Just not something ever done in the real world.

I have so far been amazed at how little cashiers seem to care about the payment method they accept for MOs. That said, I'm sure some will care, and I also suspect I'm going to sometimes have problems swiping (say) 4 $200 gift cards at my local supermarket.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:22 pm

If someone is really concerned about multiple swipes, and isn't worried about unloading a ton of low denomination GCs quickly there's always the option of taking a $300 GC and $700.70 or $200.70 in cash in. Hand them the cash first and then swipe to end up with a nice even MO amount.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:32 pm

Yeah, because of their low denominations, Staples MS seems the most endangered by the BB/Serve shutdowns.

I've always unloaded a couple of Staples GC a month paying my auto insurance (super-easy online if you have USAA) and some utility bills. I don't like shopping with GCs, but I guess I could now do that a little, too.

It seems like some folks do split-payment GC transactions at Walmart and other stores to buy money orders, but that seems dicey to me. I encounter few cashiers who are comfortable with such transactions, and they look sketchy to begin with.

Not sure how well that would work. I guess it depends on the store and on the cashier.

Does anybody have any other ideas on liquidating Staples GCs? Unless I find an easy way, I'll probably just buy them now when there's a rebate.
Not a good idea. Sometimes we feel that we would get a "pass" if we just tell the truth (aka: I need to split because I have a bunch of these GCs I am trying to get rid of) and that they would be 100% cool with it. NOPE. Certain stores have strict policies and they will not give 2 S%$# about your desire to liquidate cards because its "against policy".

Also you better be damn sure you don't make it a habit at your local WM if you plan on using that excuse over and over again especially since you WILL see that same WM employee again and wonder why you say you have just a "few" cards turns into hundreds of cards you are trying to liquidate.

Originally Posted by bewareofduck
If someone is really concerned about multiple swipes, and isn't worried about unloading a ton of low denomination GCs quickly there's always the option of taking a $300 GC and $700.70 or $200.70 in cash in. Hand them the cash first and then swipe to end up with a nice even MO amount.
Why would I do this? I would much rather just get a $300 MO than to take $200 or $700 of my own money just to complete the transaction.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With WM money orders, there's no autodrain on payment, right? You have to tell them you're taking $200 from the first debit card, $200 from the second, etc. Right? I remember trying billpay with multiple gift cards and it seemed to stump most of the cashiers. That's why I'm skeptical that it will be an easy transaction.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:28 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe most WMs only allow to split payments in two - thus only two GCs can be used at a time. No?

I also wonder - can you pay your MO fee (70 cents or whatever) in coins and then swipe your GCs for a round amount of MO? Or doing this would count as a third part of split payment?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With WM money orders, there's no autodrain on payment, right? You have to tell them you're taking $200 from the first debit card, $200 from the second, etc. Right? I remember trying billpay with multiple gift cards and it seemed to stump most of the cashiers. That's why I'm skeptical that it will be an easy transaction.
WMT POS does not know how to autodrain. You better make damn sure the cashier input the exact amount you want to pay on EACH swipe else the system would want to take the full balance due from the card, unless of course if you only buy a $200 MO and pay $0.70 for the fee separately AND tell your cashier your intention so she knows to only input $500 otherwise the system would try to take $200.70.

Originally Posted by in4tar
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe most WMs only allow to split payments in two - thus only two GCs can be used at a time. No?

I also wonder - can you pay your MO fee (70 cents or whatever) in coins and then swipe your GCs for a round amount of MO? Or doing this would count as a third part of split payment?
The maximum swipes at WMT is 4 swipes. In theory you could buy a $800 MO with $0.70 paid separately and swipe 4 x $200 cards but that could really raise the eyebrows of your cashier. Save the WMT for your Simons, and take your Staples to grocery stores.

Fee paid separately does not affect the number of swipes allowed.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 11, 2016 at 7:13 pm
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
How to "Mitigate" the Card Activation Process?

According to the wiki, "...stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated". I'm not sure what the word "mitigated" means in this context.

Today I received 13 GCs from Staples, and tomorrow probably will receive 13 letters...each containing a unique activation code. Is there a way to speed up the process of manually activating each card?
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:19 pm
umc

Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
According to the wiki, "...stupid letter containing one activation code/card that comes in the mail separately (the letter sometimes arrives AFTER the VGCs arrive; this can be mitigated". I'm not sure what the word "mitigated" means in this context.

Today I received 13 GCs from Staples, and tomorrow probably will receive 13 letters...each containing a unique activation code. Is there a way to speed up the process of manually activating each card?
I think you can call giftcardmall at 1-866-357-7391 and ask them to activate the cards for you. They will activate all of them, but it takes a few hours for the cards to be activated as I recall.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by umc
He bought the VGC at Staples with his Ink Plus, so he would get 5% cash back from his $620 purchase. He earns 3,100 UR points ($31 statement credit) for the purchase. Thanks to the rebate, the administrative fee (about $21) would be offset by the $20 Visa gift card rebate.
Yup, and even without the $20 rebate $21 for 3100UR is cheap!
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:44 pm

Seems like after Apple Pay fiasco, all the Staples near me have hid all the VGCs...
Old Jan 16, 2016, 12:13 pm

I hope you dont try to use you 200 VGCs at WM.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
So sad $300 Visa Gift Cards are now available at Staples AND $200 Visa Gift Cards are now available at Office Depot but Bluebird is DEAD. The 250,000 Chase Ultimate Reward points in 2015 will go to a good cause... first class airlines flights.

Paid $1000 car insurance via multiple $300 Visa gift cards. Not out of the game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.