Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Urgent Help - Buying new home

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by mft
i had something similar to the OP when doing a refi. i was passing $ around from acct to acct. when you submit your statements (CC, checking, saving, etc), they'll look for big $ amounts and then ask to see the source of that money (which invariably links to some other acct).

i think honesty is the best approach as others have posted. but, banks are more stringent nowadays...
Sounds like a good reason to keep a 'clean' account for paying loans, that only receives DD from an employer.

I don't, and if I had to get a loan and needed to present bank statements, it would have a high chance of becoming a PITA very fast.

Luckily I don't need a loan for anything in the foreseeable future.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Why does he need "checks for the last 12 months" and not just the mortgage statements for the past 12 months which would tell him the same thing ?
Who uses checks anymore??? I use checks maybe once or twice a year at best.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
My bank had only asked for checking/savings account statements for the last two months.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Been there done that. Just show money trail with all receipts.Paycheck ->Amex->VGC at CVS/WG/etc->MO->loan.
My underwriter didn't care at all, they need to see the trail. You will need receipts for everything, hopefully you didn't toss any.

I also have a checking account that I use for MS, the one my pay check goes to is spot free.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Definitely be honest about it. Explain that you're using credit cards to buy VGC to buy Money Orders, and paying the mortgage with money orders, so that you can (in effect) earn frequent flier miles on your mortgage payments.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:23 pm

This should be a lesson for everyone to segregate MS activities from normal day-to-day as many suggest.

While this will likely not impact OP's refinance, it certainly has created a lot of headaches that really wasn't worth it.

I have a main bank account where all my paychecks and my mortgage/bills go. The cash flow looks exactly like what a non-MSer's account would look like. No questions.

All of my money order deposits/credit card MS billpay flow out of my other bank accounts (now five). These are voluntarily not disclosed during the mortgage/refi process, and aren't material anyway since it isn't where I have real income/expenses.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:43 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Copy of 2-3 bank statements should be enough to show money in money out.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hamhead
This should be a lesson for everyone to segregate MS activities from normal day-to-day as many suggest.

While this will likely not impact OP's refinance, it certainly has created a lot of headaches that really wasn't worth it.

I have a main bank account where all my paychecks and my mortgage/bills go. The cash flow looks exactly like what a non-MSer's account would look like. No questions.

All of my money order deposits/credit card MS billpay flow out of my other bank accounts (now five). These are voluntarily not disclosed during the mortgage/refi process, and aren't material anyway since it isn't where I have real income/expenses.
I agree with you. It added lot of stress on me in the last couple of weeks in going thru this process. Lesson learned from this, pay the mortgage from the checking account and do not pay thru MO.

Thank you everyone for helping me when I need. I am not sure how I would have handled this situation without you guys help. Thanks again.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Did you ever get clarification on what they meant by "where the money is coming from"? When I got mortgages, they just wanted to know that (1) I had the down payment money (in the bank already, or in a brokerage account) and (2) I had sufficient income to cover the mortgage. They didn't really care about how I moved the money around between accounts.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 8:35 am

In my family, we loan each other money quite frequently. It can be 10,000 or 2.00 or 20,000 or 5.00.............. My sister was buying a second house as a rental and wanted to do it with a mortgage. Her initial mortgage on her house was only like 30,000.00 and she had paid several years on it.... the rental was around 100,000.00 mortgage. Between her and her husband, they make around 165,000.00/year with pay stubs..................... Loan donkeys had issues with where the 800.00/month payment was coming from (me paying back 20,000.00 loan) even though she could clearly buy the house and her current mortgage could be paid off IN 1 YEAR from their working income alone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.