Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Risk/Benefit of paying NFCU cc bill in-branch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:44 am
Original Poster

I use my navy federal cc for quite a bit of MS (loading Go prepaid, NFCU buxx, NW buxx) and also use these prepaid debit cards to buy Mo's. As it stands, I've been paying the NF cc with a combination of ~11k total payments from serve and redbird, and mailing Mo's to NF's main payment address for the rest.

A physical branch has opened up near me, and I'm curious whether making payments at the branch would cut down on the amount of time my MO payments are 'held' and my credit limit is tied up (usually 7-10 days from when listed as pending on website). Is it more likely that a human will review my account if I pay in branch with the same payment stub I normally mail? I'd love to hear from anyone with experience paying in-branch.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Risk?

One would actually be risking nothing to pay an NFCU credit card payment in the branch versus remitting a MO by mail.

Tellers at NFCU only do what is asked of them. If you ask to deposit the MO, that's what they do. If you present a MO as a payment to your CC, they apply it.

Yes, I am an NFCU customer.

Now, perhaps you can help me.

When I purchased the GO prepaid card online, NFCU phone rep by phone told me it would be processed as CA not purchase, even though I didn't note anything, on the website at time of purchase, making the representation that the NFCU CC transaction would be a CA. (This was a trial for me and I didn't see any way at the time to use a rewards CC.)

Surprised that I would be hit with daily interest, the effect of the CA policy, I quickly paid my CC account off. I checked twice before I made this decision.

Is it your experience that the CC transaction for the GO prepaid is coded as a purchase, which is what the rep saw in the beginning when I called? Because when she checked with a supervisor, the answer then was the transaction was to be billed as a CA. I would not take the chance.

Thanks for reply.

Last edited by jan_believes; Apr 24, 2015 at 8:19 pm
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: DL PM
It is my experience that loading NFCU prepaid products with NFCU credit cards posts as purchases and earns rewards. However, there was a notice on my last credit card statement that these purchases will not earn rewards effective June 1.

Effective June 1, 2015, Navy Federal credit cards will no longer earn rewards for cash equivalent transactions, such as purchasing, loading or reloading Navy Federal Visa Buxx, Navy Federal GO Prepaid Cards and Navy Federal Gift Cards. Rewards program descriptions will be updated and available on navyfederal.org by June 1, 2015.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by bewareofduck
A physical branch has opened up near me, and I'm curious whether making payments at the branch would cut down on the amount of time my MO payments are 'held' and my credit limit is tied up (usually 7-10 days from when listed as pending on website). Is it more likely that a human will review my account if I pay in branch with the same payment stub I normally mail? I'd love to hear from anyone with experience paying in-branch.
As an ex-credit union employee, you should definitely see your limit free up quicker going to a branch and paying, especially if you make it a consistent thing and they get to know you.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by asb002
It is my experience that loading NFCU prepaid products with NFCU credit cards posts as purchases and earns rewards. However, there was a notice on my last credit card statement that these purchases will not earn rewards effective June 1.

Thanks for posting. It looks like I'll be canceling all the prepaid cards, and sticking my credit card in the sock drawer since it's not useful after 6/1.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:33 pm

Yes, much thanks for the heads up on this. I just saw it on my statement too. Looks like my card will be tucked away in the drawer too after May.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:24 am
Original Poster

In case anyone's curious, I did pay my cc in branch. The cashier acted suspicious and asked me about why I was using 'these checks' aka money orders, but they were accepted.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:31 pm

I'm going to use NFCU as a MO CU, but are the Buxx MS worthy?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:07 am

I know this is an old thread (bumping a 2 year old thread here), but looks like buying NFCU prepaid products with NFCU CCs will not earn points (since June 2015), but what about them counting towards Minimum Spend Requirement (MSR) for that NFCU credit card?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
do that 3k bonus spend elsewhere and rack up those 40k points man. Don't mess up a good thing to save $20

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.