Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is an old thread including posts through the end of 2016. The discussion continues in the new thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819025-buy-mo-s-post-office-2017-2018-gift-cards-no-longer-allowed-92.html
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office[2016]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by shawnster1
Is it a fact that US Bank Visa or Master Cards don't work for MO in PO?
I don't know about Visas, but US Bank MCGCs have never failed in the SF Bay Area.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:36 pm

mcgc bought at Sams failed at PO in NC, was working last week.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by zaxon
what is the fee for MCGC at Sams?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:40 pm

why and how do you guys convert Meta to Vanilla at CVS?

You pay a fee to get the Meta then go to CVS to buy Vanilla with Meta but pay again a fee?

What am I missing here? I read all the postings regarding this but it says autodrain for Meta. What does this mean?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:59 pm

@misterno, you have to read these threads to find answers to your questions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...gift-card.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ds-2016-a.html

Yes, you've missed the boat on fee free MBVGCs we used to buy Vanillas+fees @ CVS and the answers you're looking for are in those threads.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
@misterno, you have to read these threads to find answers to your questions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...gift-card.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ds-2016-a.html

Yes, you've missed the boat on fee free MBVGCs we used to buy Vanillas+fees @ CVS and the answers you're looking for are in those threads.
I understand thanks

I am not after one time hit opportunities

I need to be able to churn all the time

Simonmall I did like 20K but they stopped here in Houston last week all of a sudden saying that there was too much demand

Simon mall is AX prepaid and it is not debit, it can not be cashed at PO. Only WM -MO but here in Houston no WM will do that

CVS I knew it but did not bother

Thanks
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
6x500 OV for $3k MO worked in SF today. I showed up with the form and the officer went into the back to make a ~10 minutes phone call. It had to do with me being a minor - hopefully no SARs have been filed!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: BA, AA, DA, UA, CO
Just tried successfully today for $500 MO at PO here in New Orleans with MC Vanilla (Metabank with Debit in front of the card, variable load amount with 4.95 fee). Bought at Sam's in store, after some convincing the Rep telling me Credit won't work.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by misterno
I understand thanks

I am not after one time hit opportunities

I need to be able to churn all the time

Simonmall I did like 20K but they stopped here in Houston last week all of a sudden saying that there was too much demand

Simon mall is AX prepaid and it is not debit, it can not be cashed at PO. Only WM -MO but here in Houston no WM will do that

CVS I knew it but did not bother

Thanks
1) Even without the free fee, going 5B to CVS to PO would still work out very well. Again you need to read those threads and at least understand it CORRECTLY. You can easily do basic math on the fees and the 5% rebate on the 5B. Since you do not bother, then, why you would even want to know the reason people buy the 5B and then use it to buy OV at CVS?

I am sure those who do this are not stupid to pay double fee without getting much more in return? Common sense would say that would not be the case, right? So read those threads and figure that out why people are doing something that you could not figure out why. The name of the card Five Back should give you some hint, no?

2) When you said "Simon mall is AX prepaid and it is not debit "- AX if it means AMEX cards and yes, it is not debit - it can NOT be used to buy MO ANYWHERE. Well, you either mix up things or you really dont know what you are doing.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by lesamuel
6x500 OV for $3k MO worked in SF today. I showed up with the form and the officer went into the back to make a ~10 minutes phone call. It had to do with me being a minor - hopefully no SARs have been filed!
ouch. that's a tough round trip... from global services to standing in line @ the PO slinging 3m in OV's... all before your 18th bd. i think i read something about the 2nd tranche of the Series B failing to close on the grumpy cat social media app. tough break. that'll wreak havoc on the travel budget- even for founders.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
ouch. that's a tough round trip... from global services to standing in line @ the PO slinging 3m in OV's... all before your 18th bd. i think i read something about the 2nd tranche of the Series B failing to close on the grumpy cat social media app. tough break. that'll wreak havoc on the travel budget- even for founders.
I don't work in tech - my flights used to be paid for by the law firm I used to work for. Personal travel budget has never been large and besides, MS is much more interesting
Old Dec 30, 2016, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Happy
1) Even without the free fee, going 5B to CVS to PO would still work out very well. Again you need to read those threads and at least understand it CORRECTLY. You can easily do basic math on the fees and the 5% rebate on the 5B. Since you do not bother, then, why you would even want to know the reason people buy the 5B and then use it to buy OV at CVS?

I am sure those who do this are not stupid to pay double fee without getting much more in return? Common sense would say that would not be the case, right? So read those threads and figure that out why people are doing something that you could not figure out why. The name of the card Five Back should give you some hint, no?

2) When you said "Simon mall is AX prepaid and it is not debit "- AX if it means AMEX cards and yes, it is not debit - it can NOT be used to buy MO ANYWHERE. Well, you either mix up things or you really dont know what you are doing.
Simon Mall deal was you get $100+$15 prepaid credit card and you pay with a CC and there is a 3.95 fee.

That's it. Nothing complicated about it. It is not a debit card just a credit card. You can not buy MO with it, it is not churnable. You can not pay with a prepaid to buy prepaid. (That is what I have been told) Otherwise I would be a millionaire.

One question though. Is the conversion thing still working?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by zaxon
vanillas are still working as of yesterday. 1. confirm it isn't meta (some are in SC).
2. check online that there is a balance. There have been known issues where a card isnt' activated at sams.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by pianistat
Just tried successfully today for $500 MO at PO here in New Orleans with MC Vanilla (Metabank with Debit in front of the card, variable load amount with 4.95 fee). Bought at Sam's in store, after some convincing the Rep telling me Credit won't work.
Wait - you did a META MC in the post office yesterday? Has this post office worked for metas for last few months or was also apparently dead?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by misterno
You can not pay with a prepaid to buy prepaid. (That is what I have been told) Otherwise I would be a millionaire.
Fortunately for many of us, we have paid with AGCs to buy VGCs, you're not just going to the right stores. It's all YMMV though, it may not be available to you where you are, if you're not inclined to go out of your area, forget it. It has, and will always be, YMMV. You have to keep on experimenting because the thing that's constant in this endeavor is CHANGE. IOW, if you want to succeed, keep up with constant change. I know a lot of MSers in Houston who can make it work for them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.