Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is an old thread including posts through the end of 2016. The discussion continues in the new thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819025-buy-mo-s-post-office-2017-2018-gift-cards-no-longer-allowed-92.html
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office[2016]

Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Got a link to that article?
A quick search led me to this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/us...ired.html?_r=0

Not sure if it's the one everyone's talking about
Old Dec 30, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: Northwest, United
With the glacially slow "service" and long lines at my local post office, mingling with the throngs at WalMart actually starts looking good by comparison.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by xeal
A quick search led me to this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/26/us...ired.html?_r=0

Not sure if it's the one everyone's talking about
Try again:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/01/us...-for-some.html

And the dramatic conclusion (not completely, the IJ is still fighting for the legal fees which the government is required, but does not want to pay):

http://ij.org/case/north-carolina-forfeiture/
Old Mar 10, 2016, 2:58 pm
XP1

On $500 purchase, Vanilla Visa got declined but $500 was debited anyway.

Has this happened to anyone?

Do I get a refund automatically?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 3:21 pm

temporary
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by XP1
On $500 purchase, Vanilla Visa got declined but $500 was debited anyway.

Has this happened to anyone?

Do I get a refund automatically?
Why was it declined?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:13 pm
XP1

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Why was it declined?
No idea. I had to skip that card and slide another Vanilla Visa, which worked.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 4:44 pm

So.... not trying to "stir the pot", just a question. It might be a bad question. Or a good question.

What happens if you go to the post office to buy a money order for $500 via debit card, and then pay the fees in cash.... and then you hold onto the money order for a month..... and then you go to a different post office... and ask them to give you cash for the money order. Is that suspicious? If you do $X000 per month, but not anywhere near $10000 (because structuring), then you have cash in hand. Will you start to be "investigated" if you do this at $X,000 per month (where X is less than 6?) Or will all the post offices start to want to report you because they keep running out of cash at the register?

Like I said.... not trying to suggest this as a way to MS, or that I want people to get in trouble. Just wanted to see what people think if this were to happen on a ... almost "structuring" amount-basis. I am in no way suggesting that people actually do this! Just... a thought exercise. (Please don't go and do this and abuse it).
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by 3sgtekb
So.... not trying to "stir the pot", just a question. It might be a bad question. Or a good question.

What happens if you go to the post office to buy a money order for $500 via debit card, and then pay the fees in cash.... and then you hold onto the money order for a month..... and then you go to a different post office... and ask them to give you cash for the money order. Is that suspicious? If you do $X000 per month, but not anywhere near $10000 (because structuring), then you have cash in hand. Will you start to be "investigated" if you do this at $X,000 per month (where X is less than 6?) Or will all the post offices start to want to report you because they keep running out of cash at the register?

Like I said.... not trying to suggest this as a way to MS, or that I want people to get in trouble. Just wanted to see what people think if this were to happen on a ... almost "structuring" amount-basis. I am in no way suggesting that people actually do this! Just... a thought exercise. (Please don't go and do this and abuse it).
Just like in the WM thread, my question is, what friggin' purpose does it serve to cash a MO?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by CWAL
Just like in the WM thread, my question is, what friggin' purpose does it serve to cash a MO?
Good question - would it be less suspicious to deposit this to the bank than a money order?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:37 pm

Can you even cash a MO at a PO? I don't think its possible. You have to go to check cashing facilities or a bank in order to cash out a MO. But like others are saying, there doesn't seem to be a purpose to cash out a MO at a check cashing faciltiy. Believe me nobody is going to run out and try this idea out at the PO.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Can you even cash a MO at a PO?
Yes.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:17 am

Good question - would it be less suspicious to deposit this to the bank than a money order?
No
Old Mar 11, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Just deposit it in your bank account.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:10 am

I read the whole thread and didn't see whether or not the OP had his 2X points clawed back. Anyone know if that happened? I don't even have an Ink, but I'm still curious.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.