Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is an old thread including posts through the end of 2016. The discussion continues in the new thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819025-buy-mo-s-post-office-2017-2018-gift-cards-no-longer-allowed-92.html
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office[2016]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat Hilton Diamond Marriott Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by hamokmonky
since googling is apparently really hard for people....

Regulated debit transactions have a maximum “interchange” cap as outlined in the Durbin Amendment, $0.22 plus 0.05% -- Yes they make money off of these, however, only usbank gc are regulated debits...

Unregulated debit transactions vary depending on the vendor accepting the debit card, and its tough to say what the post office would be, but most of the rates vary around 1.15% + $0.15 for unregulated pin debit transactions. Incase math is hard, on a 1K money order that's $11.65. Other categories might be slightly less than 1.15% but nothing was significant enough that it would change the statement that they are not making money off of our transactions. All of our giftcards, vanillas, metas, sunnies, etc, are unregulated.
The only VGC that comes as unregulated debit in my merchant account is OVC. Meta, Sunnie, USBank are all regulated. If you do the math, Wal-Mart makes $0.66 on a $2000 bill payment. 1.88 - ($2000*.0005 + 0.22) = $0.66.

This is why WM cut-off usage of OVGC debit and not the other VGC products.

Remember, the USPS makes money on float, MO fees, and MO breakage. The float money orders isn't a lot of interest, but it does help significantly with their cash flow, reducing borrowing costs. I've been assured by contacts at USPS the activity we are doing is profitable for them - especially if you are using regulated debit VGC (anything other than OVC).

They only worry they really have is that of money laundering and fraud. Be transparent with your local USPS, make friends, and don't be evasive when they ask what you might be doing with all those MO.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Got declined with MB VGC today, USBank MCGC worked fine, but something changed on the register. I don't see interim balance after swiping anymore. I was able to see it before.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by yugi
Got declined with MB VGC today, USBank MCGC worked fine, but something changed on the register. I don't see interim balance after swiping anymore. I was able to see it before.
Haven;t seen that in weeks, and i've been good with all flavors of vgc
Old Sep 15, 2016, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by martig4
This sounds like something going on at their USPS processor. I've had the occasional OVC not work at all. From my conversations with my district USPS folks, these sound more like one-off issues rather than a systemwide change.

My contacts assure that they want to grow the MO business, not restrict it. That being said, INCOMM has caused many issues for USPS over the last month or so with processing issues.
Unfort. the recent problems aren't limited to just INCOMM products (ie. Vanillas). Many DPs of problems paying with regular VGCs and MCGCs.

Based on your comments, you may be interested in this USPS report I referenced previously:

http://www.uspsoig.gov/sites/default...-WP-16-007.pdf
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:27 pm

Just liquidated several MB VGCs from OM & Staples and a OneVanilla Visa from CVS in Sacramento.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 3:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Plus, United, AA, WN
MB VGC denial at noon

I stopped by the post office near my job on my lunch break today, and I was unable to purchase a MO with a MB VGC. The clerk told me it's a system issue as some people have had success paying today, while others haven't. Hopefully that is the case. I will try again on my lunch break tomorrow.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:00 pm

I successfully used Simon cards at two POs in Northern NJ today. I go to one of them a lot for actually mailing stuff. Pretty sure two of the clerks there would put up with me using 200s as long as there is no line.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by firstclassgal
I stopped by the post office near my job on my lunch break today, and I was unable to purchase a MO with a MB VGC. The clerk told me it's a system issue as some people have had success paying today, while others haven't. Hopefully that is the case. I will try again on my lunch break tomorrow.
first actual useful info that gives me hope that it's some kind of system issue like u say and not a slow roll out
Old Sep 15, 2016, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by noturbizniss
first actual useful info that gives me hope that it's some kind of system issue like u say and not a slow roll out
There are reports of some GC types working and others not at the same location. So unless the clerk is closely tracking each transaction type (i.e., bank card vs GC) and the type of GC used (Meta, Vanilla, Simon etc), this isn't useful.

Multiple reports of success at previously denied locations (using same GC type) is what we need.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by Wonko
Just liquidated several MB VGCs from OM & Staples and a OneVanilla Visa from CVS in Sacramento.
Same in NOVA
Old Sep 15, 2016, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Radster
Id put a very low probability of the OV being coded against "cash-like" purchases - it's in Bancorps interest to have the cards as widely accepted as possible. It has to be on the PO end. That said, I cant explain how one OV would work and the other wouldn't. Only things that come to mind are problems related to activation, or time since purchase (both of which sound N/A in your case).
That particular OV card has been consistently declined for MO at PO (twice) and for prepaid reload at a grocery store (3 times). So, it was not a glitch. I agree it may have been activated "differently". Based on the times I see in the transaction log I may have attempted to use it for the first time to reload at the grocery store about one hour before it was activated, which happened a couple of hours after I bought it... I also reset the pin online multiple times... Maybe one of these things caused it to "misbehave"? Anyway, lesson learned: wait before dumping!
Old Sep 15, 2016, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Radster
There are reports of some GC types working and others not at the same location. So unless the clerk is closely tracking each transaction type (i.e., bank card vs GC) and the type of GC used (Meta, Vanilla, Simon etc), this isn't useful.

Multiple reports of success at previously denied locations (using same GC type) is what we need.
This x1000. Everything else is mostly useless at this point.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, WN CP
Used Visa VGC for 2x1000 at location that it has previously worked at, near Baltimore MD. Was declined at a different location 3 days prior using same VVGCs.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 12:44 pm

Didn't see a wiki, can't easily search 50+ pages, so --

Any special instructions to split tender two cards, e.g., $X on one card and $Y on a different card?

Any issues with using Simon GCs, issued by Metabank and distributed by Blackhawk?

Thanks.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Didn't see a wiki, can't easily search 50+ pages, so --

Any special instructions to split tender two cards, e.g., $X on one card and $Y on a different card?

Any issues with using Simon GCs, issued by Metabank and distributed by Blackhawk?

Thanks.
For future reference use "Search this thread" (top RH corner) and keyword 'split'. As for card functionality, YMMV (for more info read last 5-10 pages)

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small recpt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.