Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is an old thread including posts through the end of 2016. The discussion continues in the new thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819025-buy-mo-s-post-office-2017-2018-gift-cards-no-longer-allowed-92.html
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office[2016]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:23 am

Originally Posted by mbfanos
By where you deposit it?
paranoid much
Old Dec 10, 2015, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
paranoid much
Perhaps you do not understand.
The post office is not walmart. It has its own unit to root out theft of the US mail and other crimes involving postal offices.
Investigating your purchase of money orders will give them pleasure, whether it is for illegal purposes or not.
Have coffee ready when the two armed postal investigators come to your house.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abeadinfo
...Investigating your purchase of money orders will give them pleasure, whether it is for illegal purposes or not.
Framing your speculations as fact does not make them fact.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Framing your speculations as fact does not make them fact.
WHAT IF I SAY IT LOUDER? I HEARD PEOPLE THINK YOU'RE SMARTER IF YOU'RE LOUDER.

I've done over $10 000 (I can't check right now the exact amount) in the past month or so at the same office. I haven't had any issues thus far.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: USAir, UA, AA, BA, Hyatt, HHonors, SPG, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Phantom707
WHAT IF I SAY IT LOUDER? I HEARD PEOPLE THINK YOU'RE SMARTER IF YOU'RE LOUDER.

I've done over $10 000 (I can't check right now the exact amount) in the past month or so at the same office. I haven't had any issues thus far.
Amused at this.... because one would expect government officers or postal workers to jump right on this timely?

Please report an update in ~ 6 months time if you wouldn't mind...
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:43 am

I really doubt the post office cares about people buying thousands of dollars in MOs. The only thing they're worried about is fraud and money laundering so unless you're using stolen credit cards or trying to move millions of dollars I doubt they care. Obviously, this is just a guess just like every other post here.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 11:52 am

The post office is not walmart. It has its own unit to root out theft of the US mail and other crimes involving postal offices.
Investigating your purchase of money orders will give them pleasure, whether it is for illegal purposes or not.
lol. You know it's alot more fun to $%#*&!bate than to speculate
Old Dec 10, 2015, 12:08 pm

Wild supposition.

The purchasing of MOs-- even lots of them-- is hardly more suspicious then making lots of purchases with cash. I wouldn't say the same thing about depositing lots of MOs (especially made out to and signed by the same person), but that is quite another matter. . . .
Old Dec 10, 2015, 1:56 pm

Yes, it would be rude to not offer a refreshment before closing the door.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Yes, it would be rude to not offer a refreshment before closing the door.
They like popcorn
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: MileagePLUS, AAdvantage, TrueBlue
Myself and my family have owned rental property for decades. We rarely let tenants pay by check, so most used either cash or MO. Therefore, before I ever got into MS, I have personally deposited thousands of dollars in MOs on a regular basis, for years on end. Other family members have done the same. The money quickly flowed out of the account too because it went straight to paying for mortgages on said rental property or to utilities on the same.

All of this is to say there is nothing unusual about buying MOs for $1k or depositing them in multiples every month. What I would say is I do raise my eyebrow, and probably so would inspectors, at some of these folks I hear doing $10k on a weekly basis. If your rental empire was that booming, you should probably have a business account rather than a personal account.

The postal inspectors are consumed with other things. They would only look at your MO deposits if there was a completely separate reason that triggered the investigation.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 10:30 pm

I may try , can you still buy Vanilla gift card in Staples store with CC? what's the fees?
Old Dec 12, 2015, 6:43 am

I tested buying a MO at the PO with a GC and it was no problem. Even got cash back for the remaining balance.

Serve is better, and cheaper for my needs but it's nice to have this option.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:32 am

May have to give this a shot. My 4 emerald cards all disappeared last night so I need a new method to pick up some of the slack. Do they let you fill out the information yourself or do they have to do it for you? I'm thinking I'd just get it made out to Amex, Chase, etc. but I'd rather not give them my full account number.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by nivekious
May have to give this a shot. My 4 emerald cards all disappeared last night so I need a new method to pick up some of the slack. Do they let you fill out the information yourself or do they have to do it for you? I'm thinking I'd just get it made out to Amex, Chase, etc. but I'd rather not give them my full account number.

You have to fill it out yourself. They print out the amount and other PO identifying info, but they have never asked me who it's going to or who it's from.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.