Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is an old thread including posts through the end of 2016. The discussion continues in the new thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819025-buy-mo-s-post-office-2017-2018-gift-cards-no-longer-allowed-92.html
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office[2016]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:12 pm

I'd be very nervous mailing MO's. It's basically sending cash in the mail. There's no real way to protect yourself if it gets intercepted.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 8:14 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by noturbizniss
I'd be very nervous mailing MO's. It's basically sending cash in the mail. There's no real way to protect yourself if it gets intercepted.
i'm pretty sure there ways to recover lost or stolen MO's if you have the receipt
Old Dec 23, 2016, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by carlitos
I've sent 3 X $1,000 MOs to Amex in the same envelope. Not a problem. Usually I send two, and I have never had an issue. Been doing this for quite a while, since BB and RB died for me. And that is for the OBC
how often do you do this? i guess no shut down so far?
Old Dec 23, 2016, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by wiivile
i'm pretty sure there ways to recover lost or stolen MO's if you have the receipt
I'm sure there are, but seems like a major hassle and your out all the cash for possibly weeks on end. Assuming you have a bank happy with mos, I don't see why you would choose the mailing route.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 7:43 am

If your bank has no problem because you have a large cash amount on deposit with them and the tellers are friendly with you, that's the best option, I agree. But only once have I had a problem mailing a check or money order for a credit card payment, and it had nothing to do with getting lost in the mail. As long as the recipient's address is clear on the outside of the envelope and there's sufficient postage, USPS is remarkably reliable for delivering regular first class mail letters. If you write the destination address by hand, use medium to large size block letters, making sure every 6 looks like a 6 and every 0 looks like a 0, etc.

I had never tried mailing more than one check or money order in a single envelope to Amex. Years ago, I sent two checks in a single envelope to MBNA before it was taken over by Bank of America, and the second check wasn't processed properly. I called to ask what happened, and they told me all those envelopes get opened and processed by machines, and the second check likely got destroyed without the machine ever having scanned it. Since then, I send one payment slip and one check or money order per envelope with nothing else included. I do this whenever sending a paper payment, regardless of who the credit card issuer is.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by gnomey
how often do you do this? i guess no shut down so far?
I have been paying Amex and Barclays that way for more than a year. They do not have brick and mortar branches, so I pay them by mail with checks issued by either Wally or USPS.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:57 am

How do you guys deposit PO MO? Do you fill out all the address and from?

I tired Chase and LMCU app both did not work. Going to Santander branch later.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 11:27 am

LOL, technology.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: United Gold (frmer. 1k and GS), AAdvantage Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Gold
The person at my post office said as I left with my $998.40 MO "don't lose it...it takes two months and $5 to get back..." so I would not want to mail these to a CC company. Rather deposit to WF/CapitalOne and ACH a payment to Chase.

PO-MO is actually really well paired with the ODOM promo right now and the Ink+ card: buy $200 VGCs at ODOM with $15 off, buy $500 OV at CVS/Walgreens, and use OV at PO. Brings total fees for every $1000 down to $9.90 which is pretty great for Ink 5X these days, and the process is much easier at the PO than swiping 5 $200 MGCs.

Another note: Walgreens has been installing new terminals in SF Bay Area which work beautifully with the Meta VGCs. If you persuade the cashier to swipe all 5 VGCs and select "Credit" in the bottom left-hand corner, the cards autodrain and you can keep swiping without walking the cashier through the transaction like at the PO. Alternatively, if the cashier does not explicitly allow all 5 cards, you could give them a legitimate DC/CC and then swipe all 5 cards without a hitch since the payment does not rely on them correctly assigning amounts to different cards.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
I made the senseless mistake of buying a few MetaBank One Vanilla MCs today that were mixed in Bancorp Vanilla MCs.

Given the understanding that these Meta ones are useless at the USPS, what are folks doing with this? I have a few grand to burn...
Old Dec 23, 2016, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Azurik
I made the senseless mistake of buying a few MetaBank One Vanilla MCs today that were mixed in Bancorp Vanilla MCs.

Given the understanding that these Meta ones are useless at the USPS, what are folks doing with this? I have a few grand to burn...
go back and buy Bancorp with MetaBank and pay the fees again.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
go back and buy Bancorp with MetaBank and pay the fees again.
Is that even possible? Can't you use Meta's at WM?
Old Dec 24, 2016, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by dothemath
Is that even possible? Can't you use Meta's at WM?
yes, why not? It's like the CVS and FB deal, only this time OP would be losing money.

OP may not have access to WM?

I haven't seen a One Vanilla Meta so I don't know if it works at WM.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by lesamuel
The person at my post office said as I left with my $998.40 MO "don't lose it...it takes two months and $5 to get back..." so I would not want to mail these to a CC company. Rather deposit to WF/CapitalOne and ACH a payment to Chase.
Use priority. Gives you tracking # at least...if you can't beat the priority price with the MS, then, you need to come up with better MS or do it in volume...I guess.
Old Dec 24, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AMEX Centurion/Platinum, SPG Platinum, ICH Platinum, UA 1K, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lumangoy
yes, why not? It's like the CVS and FB deal, only this time OP would be losing money.

OP may not have access to WM?

I haven't seen a One Vanilla Meta so I don't know if it works at WM.
Ah, I guess I can go that route and just eat the $4.95 per card fee.

I do have WMs around me, but I thought these don't work there anymore?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.