MS for CSP - GCM alternatives

Old Dec 4, 15, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Smile MS for CSP - GCM alternatives

Hi all. I'm looking for more up to date info. I'm new to Manufactured Spend. Giftcardmall won't let me order from them. I need to get $4k on both my wife and my Chase Sapphire Preferred card.

I've heard about Visa Gift Cards that I can purchase at CVS. However, I don't know whether I can load these onto my bluebird. Will Walmart take the visa gift card and load it on the bluebird? If I purchase the VGC's, can I transfer the totals onto money order? I heard that supermarkets work best for this. Anyone have a specific examples?
Old Dec 4, 15, 11:10 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Depends on where you live.

I use Kroger. I go buy 3 Visa/MasterCard Gift cards (gif card debits, or gebits), as their daily amount is 2k (with fees). You would need to make 6 trips to complete your spending. 3 if both you and your wife go at the same time.

That amounts to $95.20 in fees, but you get 8095 UR for that.

You would then go buy money orders using those cards. Kroger's money orders cost $.71 for up to a thousand dollars, so what I do is ask for 2 money orders of $999.29 to bring the total to $2000. I then ask to split tender $500 four times. You could conceivably do this immediately after getting the gebits from Kroger to cut down on trips, depending on how leery the cashiers are. I usually buy them from the checkout lanes, and then go to customer service to get the money orders. That's a grand total of $100.88 in fees to shuffle that money around. I assume you are doing it to get the 50k UR from chase. I would also add each other as an AU so you get the bonus 5k UR. That would leave you with a grand total of 118,095 UR with a net balance of -$100.88. That's a cash equivalent of $1080.07 if you just do a direct deposit to your account from Chase.

I then deposit my money orders at my bank via the ATM. Now, some banks might close your account for this, but as you are doing $8k in spending, it shouldn't be an issue.

Most importantly, you should read the thread at the top that says NEW TO MANUFACTURED SPENDING READ THIS FIRST

You could also do serve, but that's in another thread somewhere and im not going to lay it out for you

Last edited by shitrus; Dec 4, 15 at 11:17 am
Old Dec 4, 15, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shitrus View Post

I use Kroger. I go buy 3 Visa/MasterCard Gift cards (gif card debits, or gebits), as their daily amount is 2k (with fees). You would need to make 6 trips to complete your spending. 3 if both you and your wife go at the same time.

You would then go buy money orders using those cards. Kroger's money orders cost $.71 for up to a thousand dollars, so what I do is ask for 2 money orders of $999.29 to bring the total to $2000. I then ask to split tender $500 four times. You could conceivably do this immediately after getting the gebits from Kroger to cut down on trips, depending on how leery the cashiers are. I usually buy them from the checkout lanes, and then go to customer service to get the money orders. That's a grand total of $100.88 in fees to shuffle that money around. I assume you are doing it to get the 50k UR from chase. I would also add each other as an AU so you get the bonus 5k UR. That would leave you with a grand total of 118,095 UR with a net balance of -$100.88. That's a cash equivalent of $1080.07 if you just do a direct deposit to your account from Chase.

I then deposit my money orders at my bank via the ATM. Now, some banks might close your account for this, but as you are doing $8k in spending, it shouldn't be an issue.

Most importantly, you should read the thread at the top that says NEW TO MANUFACTURED SPENDING READ THIS FIRST

You could also do serve, but that's in another thread somewhere and im not going to lay it out for you
Thansk. this helped. It sounds like I didn't need to get a bluebird...
Old Dec 4, 15, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Get an Ink card then buy CG at office supply store, much easier & cheaper PPC then trying to MS on CSP with same results.
Old Dec 4, 15, 1:11 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
OP, if you've only been here for a day or 3, you have a lot of reading to do. All of your questions are asked and answered over and over again.

Merry Christmas
Old Dec 4, 15, 1:52 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kenme1 View Post
Get an Ink card then buy CG at office supply store, much easier & cheaper PPC then trying to MS on CSP with same results.
Poster seemed to be looking to know an easy route to hit minimum spend for signup bonus. Your suggestion is off-topic since it revolves around switching cards.

If OP has the float, you could just avoid the step of converting through Bluebird.

Example: Recently OfficeMax had Amex GC for no fee.
I went and bought $2K worth to hit minimum spend on a new card immediately.
Then I spend these GC for groceries etc over a couple of months.
If you can afford to "front" the money, it's WAY less work.
Spinning up Bluebirds and learning your way around loading
it at local stores can be a right PITA, and for nabbing signup
bonusses IMHO it's a bad investment of time.

Staples is having a deal on GC starting Sunday with $20 back via store GC.
If you shop at Stapes for office supplies, another useful avenue.

Last edited by ElPresidente; Dec 4, 15 at 2:24 pm
Old Dec 4, 15, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by ElPresidente View Post
Then I spend these GC for groceries etc over a couple of months. ...
That has an opportunity cost though of not getting points for groceries. If you would've gotten 5% on those groceries but instead only get 1%, for OP's example of $4K * 2, that's like a cost of $320.
Old Dec 4, 15, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbft77 View Post
That has an opportunity cost though of not getting points for groceries. If you would've gotten 5% on those groceries but instead only get 1%, for OP's example of $4K * 2, that's like a cost of $320.
Weight that against the REAL cost of engaging in extra trips to Walmart to liquidate GC, etc. etc.

Sweeping up a big signup bonus immediately, may be more immediate and important.

YMMV.
Old Dec 4, 15, 10:44 pm

Anyone in South New Jersey have any tips on meeting minimum spend on CSP? Literally every Walmart in my area asks to see my gebit and does not let me load my Bluebird. Additionally, we don't have any grocery stores that lets me buy money orders with debit (cash only). It is extremely uptight here in NJ.
Old Dec 5, 15, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by shitrus View Post

Ok.. help me understand. I can't get your math to work.

You said you buy 3 GCs * 6 trips because there is a $2000 limit.

Am I correct in assuming you're buying eighteen (maybe nineteen?) $100 cards and adding $95.20 in fees for a total of $1885.20 (maybe $1985.20)? I am guessing this because my Kroger only sells $50 and $100 fixed value VGCs which can be purchased with a credit card.

I'm not seeing how you get this to add up to 2 MOs for $999.29 each.
Old Dec 5, 15, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by ElPresidente View Post
Poster seemed to be looking to know an easy route to hit minimum spend for signup bonus. Your suggestion is off-topic since it revolves around switching cards.

If OP has the float, you could just avoid the step of converting through Bluebird.

Then I spend these GC for groceries etc over a couple of months.
If you can afford to "front" the money, it's WAY less work.
Spinning up Bluebirds and learning your way around loading
it at local stores can be a right PITA, and for nabbing signup
bonusses IMHO it's a bad investment of time.

Staples is having a deal on GC starting Sunday with $20 back via store GC.
If you shop at Stapes for office supplies, another useful avenue.

If you are looking for an easy way to hit the spend and don't mind spending a little bit why not just pay your self on paypal, would cost you around $120 and never have to leave your house.
Old Dec 5, 15, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by tbradnc View Post
Ok.. help me understand. I can't get your math to work.

You said you buy 3 GCs * 6 trips because there is a $2000 limit.

Am I correct in assuming you're buying eighteen (maybe nineteen?) $100 cards and adding $95.20 in fees for a total of $1885.20 (maybe $1985.20)? I am guessing this because my Kroger only sells $50 and $100 fixed value VGCs which can be purchased with a credit card.

I'm not seeing how you get this to add up to 2 MOs for $999.29 each.
No, you are not correct in assuming that. I can buy open loop gebits at my Kroger (the $20-$500 ones).

I buy 3 $500 gebits. I don't buy more than 3 at a time (totalling $1517.85) because doing so would cut into my margins.

Then I use four of them to buy two money orders for $999.29 each.

To make my math work, here are the values:

$500 max gebit value. $5.95 in fees for one gebit.

$1000 max money order. $0.71 fee for one money order.

He needs $8000 in spend. Thats 16 gebits. 16 x $5.95 = $95.20. He actually spends $8095.20 for that $8000, so he gets that in UR points. 1 point per dollar is 8095 points.

Now, he needs to liquidate them. You can go get a $1000 money order, but you have to pay the $0.71 fee, so why not just bake it into your purchase so you don't have to deal with paying cash over that amount or whatever, just making it harder on you and the attendant. You are going to incur that cost anyway, just bake it in.

So, you need 8 money orders, each will cost you $0.71 so your total is $5.68 in money order expenses.

So you have transferred all of your gebits into money orders, for a total cost of ($95.20 + $5.68) = $100.88 in fees.

It cost you $100.88 to spend $8095.20 on your credit cards, but you net 108,095 UR points (plus 10k if you do the 5k AU bonus) which is worth $1080.95 in cash, should you choose to cash out in that manner.

Last edited by shitrus; Dec 5, 15 at 9:50 pm
Old Dec 6, 15, 6:51 pm

Thanks Shitrus, appreciate the explanation.
Old Dec 8, 15, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Very nice explanation shitrus!!!
Old Dec 8, 15, 11:09 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
All that's missing are the circles and arrows.

Search this Thread