Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discover took back $500 of my cashback for no reason

Discover took back $500 of my cashback for no reason

Old Mar 12, 16, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by chipcollector View Post
Received no rewards at all.
Take em to arbitration or small claims.

Last edited by Chelski; Mar 13, 16 at 2:13 pm
Old Mar 13, 16, 5:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Just got my MARCH statement.

Only one purchase, couple thousand of SGC

Wander if this is a new policy (No points for gift cards) or this is a mistake.

Since I have a bunch of points still sitting there, I am thinking it not being a good idea to call.

Anyone else getting shafted by Discover?
Was the purchase in the day or two before your statement date? If so, the rewards will show up next month. Discover has always done that.
Old Mar 14, 16, 5:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver

Since I have a bunch of points still sitting there, I am thinking it not being a good idea to call.

As a frame of reference, I have 32 credit cards and ~700k in revolving credit limits. I'm a certified-organic, 100% gluten-free rewards credit card nerd.

Now, with that out of the way...

Whether it's randomly paying 1% for purchases that are obviously in 5% categories, or paying nothing on Discover Deals despite meeting all of the requirements, IME, no card company out there comes close to disappointing on rewards as often (and consistently) as Discover. I don't think it's deceit. I think they have a terrible tracking system.

Anyone who claims that they aren't being shorted on rewards by Discover over the long term either isn't spending very much on the card or isn't watching very closely.

Last edited by Trism; Mar 14, 16 at 5:57 am
Old Mar 14, 16, 6:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum Jet Blue Mosaic
Thanks for the replies.

The SGC purchase was on 2/26 and the cycle ended on 3/3.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and see what transpires on the 4/3 statement before I call.
Old Mar 15, 16, 6:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Thanks for the replies.

The SGC purchase was on 2/26 and the cycle ended on 3/3.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and see what transpires on the 4/3 statement before I call.
For reference, my last purchase on 2/27 didn't get rewards on this months statement (3/6), but I verified with Discover that the rewards will be on next month's statement. That's more like a week than the 1-2 days I remember their lag being, but there has been a lag for years.
Old Mar 15, 16, 9:10 am

Programs: SPG, SWR

Sometimes it takes up to two billing cycles to get the rewards. I'd say wait till April's statement before contacting Discover.
Old Mar 16, 16, 11:49 am

CFPB them.
Old Jun 15, 17, 5:34 pm

I ordered (5) $100 Hyatt gift cards with my accumulated cashback from Discover on 6/3/17. Discover's website shows all five cards were mailed on 6/6/17, but I received one envelope with only 4 cards (enclosed receipt also confirms only four cards were in the envelope). The last card is nowhere to be found and Discover customer service says to wait as it may come in a different envelope. Seems unlikely since three days have already passed since receiving the first envelope. Has anyone run into a similar situation with them? Is it possibly due to an unscrupulous insider who skims cards in the fulfillment center?
Old Jun 15, 17, 7:41 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
When I order staples physical gift cards they only put 4 in an envelope.

Give it a few more days and if you don't get it then complain to discover.
Old Jun 16, 17, 12:43 pm

I used Discover and Amex cards to split MC purchase from Sam's. Sam's fraud prevention watched me buy these and then gave me a nice send off buy calling Incomm to have the cards deactivated as I left the store. Since I have used my own cards and my own membership, I had nothing to worry about right? Well, the store manager claimed the system would not allow him to refund or replace, and the only resolution is to file a chargeback. So I did that, and got the case ruled in my favor by Amex, not so much with Discover. While they felt sorry for me, my signature was enough for them to let Sam's scam me. While the case eventually got resolved, by filing a complaint with BBB. I already drafted demand letter and was ready to take Sam's to court, it soured my relationship with Discover, I would be careful using their product for large transactions.
Old Jun 18, 17, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by pwd847 View Post
If they don't get back to you, I would file a complaint with the BBB. I did this when Barclay's did a HP on me for no reason at all. Within a day or two I had a representative of the office of the president calling me. No bouncing back and forth getting transferred to different departments. All communication went through her.
The BBB doesnt actually do anything, i owned a business and they kept hounding me to join them which you have to pay for

Search this Thread
Search Engine: