With the death of
1- Amex Gift Cards
2- Target Redcard
3- Walmart tightening on Serve
4- US Bank Debt
5- Paypal bans
6- AFT
7- and other methods,

How much are the pioneers doing in MS these days?
Old Nov 15, 15, 12:55 pm

This is a sensitive question. My answer has always been the same. I MS enough to get my family where we want to go and how we want to get there.
Old Nov 15, 15, 1:03 pm

A hell of a lot more than last year, and a hell of a lot more than last month.
Old Nov 15, 15, 1:33 pm

1 million dollars!!!!!
Old Nov 15, 15, 1:37 pm

not one of the pioneers but have MS long enough to attain my goals both in pts/miles/CBs.

as to volume, not as much as the HHs, but way more than those just starting. I'm concentrating now on "pajama MSing" since work sched is hectic.
Old Nov 15, 15, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSerforfun View Post
With the death of
1- Amex Gift Cards
2- Target Redcard
4- US Bank Debt
5- Paypal bans
6- AFT
7- and other methods
You neglected to mention the death of Amazon Payments, one of the workhorses of MS. I'm still receiving grief counseling on that one.

I am not willing to pay activation fees on Visa gift cards, so I am visiting OD/OM/Staples only if they have a sale/rebate.
Old Nov 15, 15, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
1 million dollars!!!!!
I wish I had that much to MS. With even a 1% card, I could pay off my current student loans.

As an aside, this is one thing that I absolutely hate about rewards debit cards versus credit cards. With the debit, you need to already have the funds, but with credit, you can literally put it on credit.

In the past 7 days or so I MSed about $10 000, but I don't really keep track as much as other people. It's basically a case of "I do as much as I reasonably can, and that's all that I need to care about".

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia View Post
You neglected to mention the death of Amazon Payments, one of the workhorses of MS. I'm still receiving grief counseling on that one.

I am not willing to pay activation fees on Visa gift cards, so I am visiting OD/OM/Staples only if they have a sale/rebate.
As a person who is just at his one year mark in terms of credit cards, I find this...ridiculous? I can't think of a more proper term. I barely even got in when Serve still allowed non-Amex loads (although I do have a couple of Softcard/ISIS Wallet accounts).
Old Nov 15, 15, 4:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I'm not a pioneer nor am I a heavy hitter - about $20K per month. I started to do more MOs, but am having second thoughts about that as it's a PITA.
Old Nov 15, 15, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I purchase one $500 gift card along with my groceries each week, and then I spend down the gift card the rest of the week. I can do about $2000 per month this way.
Old Nov 15, 15, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Still pushing ~$30k/month with ease.
Old Nov 15, 15, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by MSerforfun View Post
With the death of
1- Amex Gift Cards
2- Target Redcard
4- US Bank Debt
5- Paypal bans
6- AFT
7- and other methods,

How much are the pioneers doing in MS these days?
#3 - how so? I haven't had any trouble except for the one time the CSR @ the money center told me I can't load using a GC. I find it easier and quicker to load with the Wally World cashiers anyways.
Old Nov 15, 15, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by memphian901 View Post
#3 - how so? I haven't had any trouble except for the one time the CSR @ the money center told me I can't load using a GC. I find it easier and quicker to load with the Wally World cashiers anyways.
When it comes to WM and BB/Serve, it always YMMV. Certain stores will have stricter rules so dont' equate your experience as the norm. I have run into WMs that are strict and some that are more relaxed but certainly the tide has changed in some of the WMs within the past year. The cashiers and MC folks have run into people in all parts of the spectrum and it just takes a few bad apples to ruin it for all of us.
Old Nov 15, 15, 9:25 pm

Programs: 24 million points to burn!
I manage 6 Serve accounts, so I MS 30K/month, to fill them all up. What types of MS? Typically, I keep it pretty simple: $300 VGC from Staples on multiple Ink cards, with the fees offset by buying $500 VGC at grocery stores with multiple Amex Old Blue Cash cards.
Old Nov 15, 15, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
When it comes to WM and BB/Serve, it always YMMV. Certain stores will have stricter rules so dont' equate your experience as the norm. I have run into WMs that are strict and some that are more relaxed but certainly the tide has changed in some of the WMs within the past year. The cashiers and MC folks have run into people in all parts of the spectrum and it just takes a few bad apples to ruin it for all of us.
It goes the other way, too. The only WM in town that allows MO purchase with GCs has gotten much friendlier and I can now buy $3K MOs a day, up from $2K.
Old Nov 15, 15, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My November MS volume was $0 until today. I was on vacation and then got sick, so it's been a while. Did $80,500 in MOs in October.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: