Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$500 VGC and MGC at OfficeMax

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:30 pm

I bought a bunch of MCGCs yesterday at OM no issues. Today tried to load them to BB at WM and they are treated like credit cards automatically at WM, just like OV cards are. Anyone else have this experience? These cards cannot be used at WM with Serve or BB.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Milezjunkie
I bought a bunch of MCGCs yesterday at OM no issues. Today tried to load them to BB at WM and they are treated like credit cards automatically at WM, just like OV cards are. Anyone else have this experience? These cards cannot be used at WM with Serve or BB.
you need to change payment and select debit.

I forget what it says, but it's on the bottom right corner after you slide the card. it's only there for a short time.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
you need to change payment and select debit.

I forget what it says, but it's on the bottom right corner after you slide the card. it's only there for a short time.
Have you experienced this recently? I remember when you had to do this with One Vanilla cards but haven't had to do this lately with any cards.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:17 pm

Have you experienced this recently? I remember when you had to do this with One Vanilla cards but haven't had to do this lately with any cards.
That IS the work-around to these. Vanillas are an entirely different matter.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:18 pm

yes, when I purchase MCGCs instead of VGCs.

with VGC, I'm automatically prompted for a pin. with MCGC, I need to cancel or change payment, then select debit.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 2:30 pm

Checked my regular OM here in southeast Michigan. No $500 GCs.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Auerbach
Checked my regular OM here in southeast Michigan. No $500 GCs.
Which location are you referring to?
Old Oct 21, 2015, 12:21 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Meh - no $20-500 cards here at the Max in Coral Gables. And the ones that live in OD are cash only. Another unicorn sighting.
There were a few $20-500 Visas in OM Hollywood, but they are strictly cash only. It's probably a regional directive, b/c the manager added emphatically "if I want to keep my job!".
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:57 pm

none spotted in dfw
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, UA, AA
Saw variable MC at two different OM. Tried to purchase with my Chase Ink cards. Both stores' card terminals wouldn't process my Ink card. It has never worked at the terminal at any Office Max, but usually works when the cashier swipes it on the computer. Called Chase to get a new Ink card. Hopefully, it is the magnetic strip on the back of the card. Was able to use another card to buy them.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by bigasiannd
Saw variable MC at two different OM. Tried to purchase with my Chase Ink cards. Both stores' card terminals wouldn't process my Ink card. It has never worked at the terminal at any Office Max, but usually works when the cashier swipes it on the computer. Called Chase to get a new Ink card. Hopefully, it is the magnetic strip on the back of the card. Was able to use another card to buy them.
Pretty sure it's the stupid POS system OM uses. I'm in there 2-3 times a week and it's always hit or miss with two different Ink cards I use. Sometimes the pinpad works, othertimes the cashier has to swipe it. I doubt a new card will really help the problem.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by bigasiannd
it has nothing to do with the cards themselves...but buying GC's at OM. Whenever you purchase more than $200 worth of GC's, the system will freeze on "please wait" about 95% of the time until the cashier presses "ESC" to back out and try totaling the transaction again. Only when it says "swipe or insert card" on the terminal will it work. that's what's going on. when it's stuck on "please wait" that's when the cashier has to swipe it on the terminal instead of the customer side.

btw, here to report that this is dead in CO. there was one OM that had an (empty) spot on the rack for the variables, but according to the managers there, they were an item they decided to remove and that they won't exist. guess a couple of OM's jumped the gun because clearly it's supposed to be in line with OD's policy of cash only if they even have them at all
Old Oct 23, 2015, 9:49 am

BTW, which out of towner (as in NOT a CO drivers license) was visiting Longmont and did their best to try preventing the sale of ANY gift cards? FFS, know your .... better.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 1:05 pm

Any sightings of variable loads in NY?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 1:50 pm

There are lots of OM in metro Detroit area and half or 1/3 of stores always have MC variable. I was able to buy $2k a day for the last three days since MC variable begins to work. I also have an issue with my ink card but it eventually works after multiple tries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.