Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$500 VGC and MGC at OfficeMax

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2015, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Churnman
OM system wide failure today on variables. Now some people have gotten their cc charged, but cards not activated. This is what happens when something new and very limited gets promoted by unwise bloggers who assume things are ready everywhere. There are some bloggers chastising some of their counterparts on this one because it was too limited, not nationwide, and not ready to be put out on public forums. They should have waited for more data points before rushing to public. Some of us check stores weekly and don't need bloggers, so there would have been enough data points in time but slow and steady. There's been an atmosphere lately of which blogger can be first to publish or tweet something. Look at that one thread here on ft where a few seem so obsessed with who was first to announce the Red death. So childish; those few seem like junior high boys. Grow up and realize it makes no difference and you're not getting any more money from being first to announce something that is extinct. There's only a few like that.
So it's blogger's fault that OM doesn't have their .... together and cards didn't get activated?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by slack455
So it's blogger's fault that OM doesn't have their .... together and cards didn't get activated?
Of course not.

Bloggers don't give a shite if something gets closed down quickly, or if people enjoy its benefits for years. Bloggers care about one thing and one thing only: making money. They need two things for that: credit card referrals and clicks. Without those, they would have to go out and find a job. Anyone who buys their line of "I'm just happy to help people!" is a fool.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Of course not.

Bloggers don't give a shite if something gets closed down quickly, or if people enjoy its benefits for years. Bloggers care about one thing and one thing only: making money. They need two things for that: credit card referrals and clicks. Without those, they would have to go out and find a job. Anyone who buys their line of "I'm just happy to help people!" is a fool.
This is just prejudice. There's no way you know the minds of every blogger.

One could say, "Those who attack bloggers care about one thing and one thing only: making money." and probably be right for at least some of the posters here -- clearly many attack because they don't want their profitable methods to gain wider usage. Some also actively discourage disclosure here, and post negatively about methods that are exposed here in attempts to discourage their use. I find all of that extremely selfish.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 5:25 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Available at OM and purchasable by CC in the deep and dirty south. Agree that this is temporary and thus see no harm in bloggers (or anyone else) discussing it. As OD and OM complete system integration, this will quickly become cash only like OD ongoing policy.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:03 am

OM system wide failure today on variables. Now some people have gotten their cc charged, but cards not activated.
My MasterCard variable load has failed. Many OMs actually denied selling it but one OM did by overriding amount, but it wasn't loaded (activated, not loaded). Called GC, told me to fax receipt and card information and they say they will correct it.

Visa variable, however, loaded very well. It's just hard to find. I appreciate to those bloggers for letting us know all these.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
My MasterCard variable load has failed. Many OMs actually denied selling it but one OM did by overriding amount, but it wasn't loaded (activated, not loaded). Called GC, told me to fax receipt and card information and they say they will correct it.

Visa variable, however, loaded very well. It's just hard to find. I appreciate to those bloggers for letting us know all these.
But, they're not the first to "let us know". Many of us check stores ourselves and don't need bloggers to tell us. The only thing I didn't know was that vgc variable were in a few locations because they aren't in my region. But, I've seen the MCGC, they just aren't attractive due to liquidation issues. And, since yesterday, as you found out, they've had major problems activating them properly.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by bobbybrown

Same experience as me w/the override and not loading (Wednesday last week). I went to a diff location yesterday and bought a variable (not Visa/MC) and it loaded fine.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: SPG
my OM has the MCs but the register would not prompt for the amount to load. They called another store and were told the gift card person pulled them from the shelves because they aren't going to be selling them any more. Didn't see any VGC.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:22 am

But, they're not the first to "let us know". Many of us check stores ourselves and don't need bloggers to tell us. The only thing I didn't know was that vgc variable were in a few locations because they aren't in my region.
I check some blogs and some forums here but not manufactured spending until the recent Redcard tragedy. I guess I need to come here frequently for such valuable information.

This morning I went to the same store (Novi, MI) for another visa variable despite a Monday morning traffic, but all sold out
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:01 pm

I picked up six $500 cards at my OM this morning. A nice score.

Oh, and curse you all for telling me about it!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: AOPA
Looks like each store got only 10 cards in... I did leave one at each store I visited.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 4:52 pm

My OM are out, but checked the cabinet at one. In addition to finding the variable MCs that are not ringing up correctly, I found some promotional signage for Reloadit cards. Anybody else coming across those?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by heidelj
my OM has the MCs but the register would not prompt for the amount to load. They called another store and were told the gift card person pulled them from the shelves because they aren't going to be selling them any more. Didn't see any VGC.
Interesting that your experience involved 'not going to be selling them anymore' because the manager at my local OM referred to them as the 'new GCs they were starting to sell' when calling another store.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: SPG
I thought the same thing since I had read that before I went in. I didn't hear that from the manager at the other store first hand, just repeated to me by the store manager where I was. She may have gotten the story mixed up or the person at the other end may have been confused. I may go back tomorrow. The stacks of MCGCs were just begging for me to pick them up and take them with me. But I didn't really want to buy them with only $0.02 loaded on them.

Originally Posted by BBPlaya13
Interesting that your experience involved 'not going to be selling them anymore' because the manager at my local OM referred to them as the 'new GCs they were starting to sell' when calling another store.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 12:12 pm

variable MC purchased no problem at OM today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.