Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$500 VGC and MGC at OfficeMax

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
I was speaking to a guy in my building who works at the nearby OM.

Gift cards don't count towards their sales numbers, so there's not a lot of love for them. They're basically a loss leader to draw folks into the store.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 3:35 pm

I did not see this on any other thread (perhaps I missed it), but my local OM this week has in-store signs indicating $20 off when you purchase $300 in either Visa or MasterCard gift cards. The printed sign says limit of 2 discounts per customer, but YMMV.

Other blogs are reporting the same promotion, but it doesn't appear in my store's weekly ad.

Happy hunting.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
If you have to spend more than 20 minutes driving to a store, the deal is not worth it. This is the true over-subscribed deal -- every time.

If you are a MS'er, best to stick with your 'tried-and-true', and if you happen to pass by an OMX, then, give it a check. Not worth a 'special trip'.

Case in point: OMX right by my office, arrived at 8:17 AM on Monday, and, already sold out of $200's. Truly a record... 17 minutes from store open and already sold out, with no plans on restocking within the next week, for a week long promotion.

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I did not see this on any other thread (perhaps I missed it), but my local OM this week has in-store signs indicating $20 off when you purchase $300 in either Visa or MasterCard gift cards. The printed sign says limit of 2 discounts per customer, but YMMV.

Other blogs are reporting the same promotion, but it doesn't appear in my store's weekly ad.

Happy hunting.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia

Happy hunting.
I managed to get 4 ($200 each) yesterday. Store was strict on the limit. There was this Asian guy with 4 people with him. He said he's gonna buy for all from the same card in different transactions. Manager was called out and there was some argument. They ended up calling his bank and see if they are fine with a transaction like tat. He was allowed to pay for others. Some days I just feel....
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:28 pm

Went to OM this morning and saw in store credit sign. No $200 VGC's left, but a lot of MCGC's (US Bank). Are these able to be loaded to easily to Serve?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Crest32
Went to OM this morning and saw in store credit sign. No $200 VGC's left, but a lot of MCGC's (US Bank). Are these able to be loaded to easily to Serve?
MasterCard? Leave them on the rack.

I picked up 24 of the $100 VGC myself. It's right on the way to work, I wouldn't go out of the way for it. Many don't care to mess with them so they're usually there. I interleave them on trips where I'm dumping larger VGC when I have time.

Something many miss, is there are often daily expenses where right now you get 1x or 2x because it's a non-bonus category. They could be using any GC to buy lunch, where they got 5x on it at purchase. Many passed by the AGC no-fee cards during that promotion because they either don't need that (small) gain or didn't think about it.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta and NW
I bought 3 $200 master card gift cards, called to set my own password and loaded them easily onto my Serve card this morning.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by efoss3
I bought 3 $200 master card gift cards, called to set my own password and loaded them easily onto my Serve card this morning.
Don't they have PINs on a piece of paper in the package now?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Don't they have PINs on a piece of paper in the package now?
Yes, but easier to call to change the pin than dive through a bunch of packaging
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by XtraPerks
Yes, but easier to call to change the pin than dive through a bunch of packaging
Not sure if serious... I hate having to call to set pins, especially when I accidentally grab a handful of the old US Bank MC without the pin slip...
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA, Southwest
Originally Posted by CWAL
Not sure if serious... I hate having to call to set pins, especially when I accidentally grab a handful of the old US Bank MC without the pin slip...
I set all my pins the same so its easier when liquidating.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by efoss3
Did you have to hit the change payment button? (from credit to debit)
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:13 pm

Did you have to hit the change payment button? (from credit to debit)
Yes at WM. Or the cancel in some POS to change to debit.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by XtraPerks
I just wrote the PIN on the cards with a sharpie.

(usually not a safe thing to do, but the time between buying, unwrapping, sharpie-ing, and liquidating at WM was only an hour or two)
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by markr33
I just wrote the PIN on the cards with a sharpie.

(usually not a safe thing to do, but the time between buying, unwrapping, sharpie-ing, and liquidating at WM was only an hour or two)
I don't even have to use a sharpie. I write the PIN with a regular pen on the signature strip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.