Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

What do you do with gift cards after you load them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do with gift cards after you load them?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:09 am

Ooops did I just make a 6K mistake?

Newbie to MS but I'm building a house and have literally tens if not hundreds of thousands to pay out over the next few months.

I purchased 1000 Wmart gift cards and was told last night that they can't be used to buy visa gift cards or money orders... bad cashier or bad decision on my part??!!

PM me or reply - thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Elizabethh
Newbie to MS but I'm building a house and have literally tens if not hundreds of thousands to pay out over the next few months.

I purchased 1000 Wmart gift cards and was told last night that they can't be used to buy visa gift cards or money orders... bad cashier or bad decision on my part??!!

PM me or reply - thanks.
you CANNOT use WMGCs to buy Visa/MC GCs but you can buy other GCs with it like Red Lobster, BK, Dominos which have no fees.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:15 pm

Actually they come in handy to pay for items that require a credit card information for sign up, take bonus and cancel later. For eg, get 500 miles for signing up for a free trial for 3 months etc. I use these cards and then even if i forget to cancel, they cannot charge me.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:42 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by spidy1
Actually they come in handy to pay for items that require a credit card information for sign up, take bonus and cancel later. For eg, get 500 miles for signing up for a free trial for 3 months etc. I use these cards and then even if i forget to cancel, they cannot charge me.
Don't they try to put a $1 hold or small charge on there? I've tried that once and it didn't work on a fully depleted GC.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: Several dozen
Look for HIGCs you can buy there to use on house building supplies.

Originally Posted by Elizabethh

PM me or reply - thanks.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Don't they try to put a $1 hold or small charge on there? I've tried that once and it didn't work on a fully depleted GC.
So far i have tried at 2-3 sites and it has worked. I am sure i will run into the hold charge issue.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:16 pm

I wait until I have ~100 cards, buy a 1/2 gallon on KY and...well I better stop there, as this is a PG rated forum
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:23 pm

I sometimes hand them out to the lazy slobs who pretend to be homeless and beg at intersections. That'll teach them how to lie.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 5:56 pm

I remember when I was little we would get these CDs from AOL,
and they would make commercials about people using them to make "artwork" at home with the different colored ones

maybe if I get bored enough one day....

if I do this I will def take pictures and show them off
Old Mar 1, 2016, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
I sometimes hand them out to the lazy slobs who pretend to be homeless and beg at intersections. That'll teach them how to lie.
Oh wow! On one hand I think this is priceless, on the other...smh. I just can't decide.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by vunit
Oh wow! On one hand I think this is priceless, on the other...smh. I just can't decide.
LOL, I've only done it a few times. These are the trashy people who hang out near busy traffic stops and are clearly able bodied and can work, but chose to sit there with a BS sign asking for a handout. Many have been seen getting into a car later and driving off. I have no sympathy for them.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 5:50 pm

I have a couple thousand cards for IRS purposes, along with receipts. I'm building a new log cabin this year. So I was thinking, it'll be all rustic, but what about one bathroom going art deco? Covered in silver SMGC, WMGC, a few Sears and 2k Am3x mixed in. Heck, I'm even saving Taco Cabana and Subway now, just for accent tiles.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 8:57 am

I tried to save them, but after accumulating 2 shoebox worth, I just trashed them.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 5:29 pm
Suspended

I recycle Them in a random WM shopping cart, in the parking lot, LOL.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Send them here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.