Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

What do you do with gift cards after you load them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do with gift cards after you load them?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2015, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by nfpa70e
The problem with keeping used up cards is, you keep doubting whether you have unloaded it or not and might end up checking the balance. If it is used, I would toss up after sometime, of course keep the receipt , unless you are very good at organizing stuff.
If you aren't good at organizing, you should probably not be MSing...
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:08 pm

staple liquidation receipt and card to the purchase receipt and stick it in a shoe box. keep them indefinitely, until you are sure no one will do a FR and need to harass you about where you got money you never had... it's magic, it goes around and around...
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:36 pm

I throw mine away as soon as they're spent.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 5:43 pm

Spend em' toss em'

What are they gonna do if you have a MO already bought and printed.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 7:50 pm

I used to be environmentally friendly and recycled them at my local best buy, but then I realized that a person could go through my purchase history with them, so....... I shred them before disposal now =(
wish I could recycle them and hug some trees while I'm at it

EDIT: I just reread the topic title.
Obviously you spend it after you load it lol

now after you UNLOAD it? that's another story...................
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:42 pm

I recycle the cards and the receipts at the wal-mart.. put the receipts in paper and cards in plastic. lol
Old Jan 1, 2016, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by vwks2006
I recycle the cards and the receipts at the wal-mart.. put the receipts in paper and cards in plastic. lol
to save you and the employees time ---- unless it is a section that's specifically marked for gift cards, they actually don't recycle it but throw it away. Best Buy literally has a section for gift cards, they really do recycle those. Walmart I believe I've only seen *PLASTIC* bags, and nothing else. I think they throw away bags that aren't the regular shopping bags, too.........
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
I toss them into an ammo box and then six months or so later go back and check them online for balances. Last week I found a balance on 2 ebay cards that I had totally used totaling $48, and 2 Amex gift cards with $1 balances, most likely from the AP days. No I guess I will have to try to use a $1 card for a split payment at WM for bananas!!!
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:58 am

YMMV.

Last edited by Chelski; Jan 9, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Old Jan 1, 2016, 12:06 pm

Are people not marking each card with a Sharpie to indicate the following:
1) Date
2) What it was drained for in general
3) Where

If yall are not doing that then yall are not organizing it that well. At least if there was some questions asked you can quickly scroll through your cards. I do this with all my cards so its easy to trace.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Are people not marking each card with a Sharpie to indicate the following:
1) Date
2) What it was drained for in general
3) Where

If yall are not doing that then yall are not organizing it that well. At least if there was some questions asked you can quickly scroll through your cards. I do this with all my cards so its easy to trace.
Technically that is all available in the purchase history online.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:54 am

YMMV.

Last edited by Chelski; Jan 9, 2016 at 2:12 pm
Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Chelski
ericsabbs is stating its easier to write on the card than to look it up later. If you have the cards for 5 years will that still be available online? Each person has to determine any potential questions regarding MO/serve/BB deposits and how long to keep detailed information. looking up each card online is not viable, especially when u are talking about >1k annually. I don't think each card needs to be written on as long as the purchase through deposit is kept together.
I don't write on all of them, but sometimes they don't get filed right away and I'm left looking them up and pairing with receipts. It's much better to have a thoroughly organized system, of course, but if you aren't that disciplined I think hanging onto everything is probably wise. My ADHD MS'er system involves tossing things into ziplock bags by date so they can be easily gone through later if necessary. I recently found $800 on some cards I had stashed in a drawer though so it's not perfectly executed. 😳
Old Jan 2, 2016, 1:58 pm

throw the suckers away ... friggn' hoarders!
Old Jan 2, 2016, 2:21 pm

Programs: "You are now known as the Lebron James of DYKWIA/Delta/FT" -Thoiboi
I heard a rumor that Gift Cards with $0.50 or $0.00 remaining balance can be used on parking meters above the available balance, I have not tried this myself

Curious is anyone has any info on this ???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.