Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay property tax with a credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by tuphat
It is true that increasing your 2017 property tax deduction could put you in AMT for 2017, HOWEVER: you don't have to claim every deduction to which you are entitled. Consider example of someone with $15k of property tax, for both 2017 and 2018. Since we know 2018 deduction will likely be limited to $10k, our guy prepays $5k in 2017. IF increasing his 2017 deduction from $15k to $20k puts him in the AMT for 2017, he could simply omit the "extra" $5k deduction from the 2017 return. He's then no worse off (or better off) than if he had not prepaid the tax (ignore TVM).
Sure, but the poster’s motivation for paying early was to take a deduction now that s/he thinks will be capped next year. If s/he doesn’t take the deduction, s/he’s just paying early for no reason.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by milypan
Sure, but the poster’s motivation for paying early was to take a deduction now that s/he thinks will be capped next year. If s/he doesn’t take the deduction, s/he’s just paying early for no reason.
You implied earlier that paying too much would put you -- irrevocably -- in the AMT for 2017 and make you worse off than had you done nothing. I'm just saying that there's really no downside of the type you describe, while also acknowledging that there may ultimately be no upside either.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
You implied earlier that paying too much would put you -- irrevocably -- in the AMT for 2017 and make you worse off than had you done nothing. I'm just saying that there's really no downside of the type you describe, while also acknowledging that there may ultimately be no upside either.
Well except that the tax bill in its current form might not pass. Certainly it’s more likely than not, but there’s no guarantee.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
My property tax is paid from my escrow account with my mortgage company. I make monthly mortgage/escrow payments with Chase Ink Preferred using Plastiq (earning 3X UR points which more than offset the 2.5% credit card fee). Then I transfer the UR points from my ink to my Chase Sapphire Reserve to redeem at Chase's travel portal at $1.50/100 UR points rate for maximum gain (flights about this way count toward EQM and EQD).

So essentially I'm making 2% paying property tax (and insurance and mortgage). I'm even thinking about making a big mortgage payment right before I sell my condo.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Dec 11, 2017 at 11:39 am Reason: remove referral links
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL, AA, BA, SPG
Originally Posted by hw711
My property tax is paid from my escrow account with my mortgage company. I make monthly mortgage/escrow payments with Chase Ink Preferred using Plastiq (earning 3X UR points which more than offset the 2.5% credit card fee). Then I transfer the UR points from my ink to my Chase Sapphire Reserve to redeem at Chase's travel portal at $1.50/100 UR points rate for maximum gain (flights about this way count toward EQM and EQD).

So essentially I'm making 2% paying property tax (and insurance and mortgage). I'm even thinking about making a big mortgage payment right before I sell my condo.
This is still working? I thought they killed it.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by jmorgans

This is still working? I thought they killed it.
CSR/CSP are definitely dead. CIP might still work though.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by milypan
This of course depends on what you'd be doing with the money otherwise. If it's sitting in a money market account earning <0.5% this is a reasonable bet. If it's sitting in the stock market getting 2% in dividends, not so much.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Further update - SUCCESS! First installment paid. Acquired 9x500 VGC using the Vons/Safeway/Albertsons promo. Brought in my stack of VGCs and wound up with the same guy I talked to yesterday. Easy peasy. No drama whatsoever. From the time I left my car at the parking meter to being back at my car was 15 minutes! He once again reiterated that what I was doing was completely normal and people have been doing it for years.

Again, this is Orange County, CA
I'm also in OC and loving this idea. I think now with the Freedom 5x Q1 bonus it works even better if we can in fact find VGC at a place that accepts mobile payments (ApplyPay, ChasePay, etc.) Any recommendations? I've been using ApplyPay at Sprouts and Trader Joes, but they don't do VGCs. I don't see Vons or Ralphs listed on either Apple or Chase Pay. I'd love to get 5x for the property taxes!

Ah, remember the good old days of Vanilla Reloads at Office Depot for 5x on Ink and then quickly load them to the Bluebird online, and then just write a bluebird check to county office?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dprocuk
I'm also in OC and loving this idea. I think now with the Freedom 5x Q1 bonus it works even better if we can in fact find VGC at a place that accepts mobile payments (ApplyPay, ChasePay, etc.) Any recommendations? I've been using ApplyPay at Sprouts and Trader Joes, but they don't do VGCs. I don't see Vons or Ralphs listed on either Apple or Chase Pay. I'd love to get 5x for the property taxes!

Ah, remember the good old days of Vanilla Reloads at Office Depot for 5x on Ink and then quickly load them to the Bluebird online, and then just write a bluebird check to county office?
I haven't had any tap success (Android Pay) at Albertsons or Vons (both use the same new credit card system since they are the same company now). However, I always tap at Stater Bros - just don't know if they do VGC on credit.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:11 pm

My property tax bill comes along with an option of payment by discover card. It is printed payment slip with Discover 4 digits printed so that no other card can be used

For payment above $3000, Discover charges flat $38 fee for property tax payment

I use Discover miles 1.5% cash back . In one transaction in June of every year, it helps to get cash back of $142 by paying full $12,000 taxes in one installment
Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA AA DL SW Marriott
That sounds fabulous. How do you get the discover card to link to your property tax payment?
Old May 20, 2018, 2:01 pm
CDO
Suspended

Around here our taxes our due end of May and with plastiq running the masterpass promo this is an excellent option.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:18 pm
CDO
Suspended

I found out our county can only accept one payment so unless your property taxes are very small plastiq not gonna work
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: UR, Marriott, AA, WN, Chick Fil A Red
Originally Posted by CDO
I found out our county can only accept one payment so unless your property taxes are very small plastiq not gonna work
Same here. It was hard to cancel the 16 fee free payments of $500 I had set up. If plastiq would mail the checks to me, that would work too but they won’t. I did due diligence though, even emailing the county assessor to see if payments in multiple envelopes could be set up as a one time courtesy. Nope!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by NeGourmand

Same here. It was hard to cancel the 16 fee free payments of $500 I had set up. If plastiq would mail the checks to me, that would work too but they won’t. I did due diligence though, even emailing the county assessor to see if payments in multiple envelopes could be set up as a one time courtesy. Nope!
Im in the same boat... bummer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.