Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pay property tax with a credit card?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2016, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Nishant1
Discover credit card has a tie up with some counties in my state which allows full property taxes to be paid by credit card for a flat $38 fee. At 3% cash back with Discover my yearly property payment of $12K. I can get a cashback of 360-38= $322 in a single transaction for two years. One with my card and another with my wife's card.

Even now at 1.5%, $140 net in single transaction is not bad.
Where can I find info if this will work where I live? Thanks
Old Mar 26, 2016, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by babycakes01
Where can I find info if this will work where I live? Thanks
you may have to visit the office where you pay your property tax and find out directly from them. I was told all payment options at the our county courthouse and chose paying with MOs which aligns with my MS activities.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
you may have to visit the office where you pay your property tax and find out directly from them. I was told all payment options at the our county courthouse and chose paying with MOs which aligns with my MS activities.
Thanks for the tip on paying with MO's. In the past I have simply written a check. Looking back, paying with MO's is obvious to do but dumb on my part for not investigating it. I will look into that plus the Discover option.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:38 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
For those who pay property tax in Los Angeles County, the cost is going up March 12 - http://file.lacounty.gov/SDSInter/bo...axPayments.pdf

It is interesting to note that Visa is discontinuing the Visa Tax Program with the discount debit card rates. This could impact the Federal tax payments as well, since estimated tax/extension payments are a handy way of liquidating gift cards when the post office is too annoying to deal with.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 8:08 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I have a number of rental homes, and it was with great glee that I brought a stack of MO's to the County Assessor office. I used $500 and $1000 denominations, and then rounded out the balance due with a personal check.

It's funny how miles and points really takes the edge off of the pain of our bill paying!
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:47 am

Alameda Country Property Tax with Money Orders

DP: I just found out that Alameda County accepts Money Order(s) as a payment, if you pay in person.

Awesome.
I have always paid with check by mail. What a waste.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 8:28 am

fwiw -- My county accepts IN-PERSON debit card payments without charging a convenience fee. So I use them as a liquidation point, similar to MO, bill pay, etc.
Old May 16, 2017, 2:49 pm

Minnesota (Hennepin) Property Taxes?

I'm helping a friend in Hennepin County, Minnesota try to figure out organic minimum spending possibilities.

It looks as if as long as you use a Visa credit card, you can pay off a year's worth of property taxes for just a $4 flat fee.

Has anyone here tried it and able to confirm that this is really as cheap as it looks?

NEVERMIND, I read it wrong -- that was Visa debit cards. Thought it seemed too good to be true.
[Mods, if you want to delete this thread, please do -- I don't seem to be able to, myself.]
Old May 16, 2017, 5:15 pm
soy

Programs: various
I pay with MO , as cc fees are insane
Old May 16, 2017, 6:54 pm

In my county in Virginia, you can use a debit card/GC without a fee if you pay IN PERSON at the treasurer's office. So it's an easy way to burn through a handful of GCs.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by soy
I pay with MO , as cc fees are insane
I was wasting opportunity of cash back for so many years before reading this discussion.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Orange County CA has the following notice:

Save postage and "Go Green Electronically" by using our no cost eCheck payment option. Or pay your taxes using your VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Discover card either on-line or by telephone at 714-834-3411. Payments made by credit card will be charged a 2.3% service fee (minimum charge of $3.95). For Visa Personal Debit Cards, a flat fee of $3.95 will be charged. All other debit cards will be charged a 2.3% fee (with a minimum charge of $3.95)
Bolding is mine. I've never tried it with a VGC, but I suspect it would work.
Many years ago either Chase or maybe specifically my Chase card was running a double miles promo for tax payments which was pretty nice and made the 2.3% OK in my eyes.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
For those that have paid multiple installments in one payment for LA County, could you confirm if the charges posted as separate transactions? (I know the fee is posted as separate).

I'm asking because I want to trigger the Amex Platinum Biz $5k transaction 1.5x feature. TIA
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Harris County TX datapoints?

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Orange County CA has the following notice:

Bolding is mine. I've never tried it with a VGC, but I suspect it would work.
Many years ago either Chase or maybe specifically my Chase card was running a double miles promo for tax payments which was pretty nice and made the 2.3% OK in my eyes.
Harris County TX has a similar notice--all cards are 2.15%, except Visa debits for a flat $3.95 (which is 0.79% on $500).

Anyone with experience using VGCs for Harris County? I've used multiple credit cards successfully in the past, but never tried VGCs.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by festdave
Harris County TX has a similar notice--all cards are 2.15%, except Visa debits for a flat $3.95 (which is 0.79% on $500).

Anyone with experience using VGCs for Harris County? I've used multiple credit cards successfully in the past, but never tried VGCs.

With the 1%+ activation fee when buying VGCs, why not just use the CC directly? Save the hassle and extra trip to the GC store.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.