Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

How to earn points with a very non-online commerce company?

Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Location: Atlanta - DL DM - 3M+/Hyatt Globalist/Hilton Diamond/Marriott LT Gold

As life would have it, it is time to transition my mother to an assisted living facility. I am in charge of her financial affairs and the company that runs the facility is an old school check and wire transfer only place. I have to pay the bill once a month, in advance, and seek reimbursement through her LTC provider.

Is there a good option to pay for her "rent" that will also allow for the earning of points or miles? They don't take credit cards and they don't accept PayPal. One thought I had was paying with Travelers' Checks.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:52 am

Check GoBank prepaid that you can load with VGCs you buy with CCs. They now have checks that you just pre-authorize on their site before you fill it out and the amount will be taken off your account immediately. You can then send it to your payee and it'll be paid. They sent me a batch of 12 starter checks for free since I've had the account for over a year. IIRC, now they charge $5.95 for it. You can also send it via their site for free but IME, it takes at least 5 business days to reach payee.

Bluebird by am3x also has checks (I don't know how much they charge for checks now) and there's no fees charged to maintain your account. Their B/P feature is also very reliable, just like Serve, IME.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Location: Atlanta - DL DM - 3M+/Hyatt Globalist/Hilton Diamond/Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Mamibear
Check GoBank prepaid that you can load with VGCs you buy with CCs.

Bluebird by am3x also has checks (I don't know how much they charge for checks now) and there's no fees charged to maintain your account. Their B/P feature is also very reliable, just like Serve, IME.
How have these vendors been in regard to canceling accounts? The payment I need to make each month is $5K+.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:07 pm

Have a very similar situation and use RB, you need two cards to get over the 5k/mo limit.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
You also have BB that has paper checks that you can write.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Bluebird's paper checks do not count towards their monthly $15K bill-pay limit, but just like RB, you can only load $5K/mo from CC-purchasable VGCs.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 11:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by festdave
Bluebird's paper checks do not count towards their monthly $15K bill-pay limit, but just like RB, you can only load $5K/mo from CC-purchasable VGCs.

Assuming the OP is an only child then thats 2 BBs = $10k.

1 in their name and the other in their mothers name, its worth it even foir just 1 thats $5k a month more then handing them a personal check

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.