Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Walmart shutting me down??? (Bluebird)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Walmart shutting me down??? (Bluebird)

So, I have been doing the Bluebird thing for about a year now. It started at about $10,000 a month with my card and my wife's Bluebird card, and then went up to $20,000 a month when our daughter and her husband let me start earing them miles with their Bluebird card. I go to Walmart about twice a week to do loads throughout the month. Tonight, something happened that I don't know what to make of it. Hoping you guys can weigh in.

Usually I load $500 at a time at the registers, but tonight the lines were long so I just went to the Money Center. I Loaded one Bluebird card with $1,000 and split the payment in 2, paying with 2 gift cards ($500 each).

I then proceeded to stand in line at a register near the end of the store to load $500 more. However, as soon as I got to the register, a guy showed up from no where and stood next to the cashier. I worked at Target when I was younger, so based on my experience, I think he must have been an Asset Protection member. He was dressed in regular casual clothes and had no name tags. He started taking my photo with his phone, and didn't do a great job hiding it. I just carried on as usual, paid, and bought some groceries. I then went back to the same cashier and the AP guy was there again. I checked out, and it seemed kind of awkward. But, everything was normal.

I had told my wife that she could go wait in the car while I stand in line to pay. When I got back to the car, I had one more $500 gift card that needed to be loaded, so I told her to go inside to a cashier and load it. That's when things got more interesting. She said that when she was standing in line, she saw the AP guy and the casher go somewhere, and then came out together with a printed page. She couldn't see what was on the page, but she followed them, and they went to the Money Center and showed the employees, that were there when I loaded the 1st $1,000, the page and said something along the lines of "We've got him now".

I know for a fact that I am not doing anything illegal, and to them it might seem like it is money laundering. I live in a small town, so I doubt that there are any other MS's, if any.

Should this be something that I should worry about? I am just wondering what they are thinking that I am doing? They might think they have something big, in terms of laundering money, but I am afraid that they are going to be very disappointed if any other steps are taken. This is the only Walmart nearby (45 mins is the next one), so this will kill my MS if anything happens. There isn't even a target nearby. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited by pyx44; Aug 23, 2015 at 9:11 pm
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:03 pm

We've got him now!

It didn't cross your mind to ask the guy why he was taking your picture?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canyoncar
We've got him now!

It didn't cross your mind to ask the guy why he was taking your picture?
Funny you say that. As soon as I got on the road, I thought the same thing. I'm sure that would have cleared some stuff up. They probably would have just told me I can't use gift cards or something like that. Now they have my picture printed out at the Money Center.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I'd stick to just using Kate for a while. Perhaps at odd hours of the day? (Early morning/late evening)
Old Aug 23, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Sounds like you have been blacklisted at that WM. Handling cards in other people's names, doing it regularly, maybe the Keystone Kop there think you are Al Capone. Many employees couldn't give a crap, but every once in a while an underpaid stooge gets delusions they can advance to executive ranks by overachieving. It's their store, not a court of law, and they can make up any reason they want to give you crap rather than serve you.

If it were me I'd lay off for a while, maybe dip my toe back in with only a card in my name after at least weeks have passed. Turnover at some WM's is fast enough that may be you can just wait to see new faces and go full speed again.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:05 pm

I would lay low for a couple months. Seems like you are making too many visits and drawing attention with the multiple swipes. I try to keep my activity in line with what a "normal customer" would do and that would be loading one card per cashier. Much better to do this over several visits and fly under the radar than do too much and get blacklisted. I would also steer clear of the money center as that is where the majority of problems arise from my experience and especially now that they have noticed you.

Last edited by ECCM; Aug 23, 2015 at 10:33 pm
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ECCM
Seems like you are making too many visits and drawing attention with the multiple swipes.
Yeah this is key. I'm guessing no Kate there since OP didn't mention it. 20K a month at a single store, like clockwork? Sooner or later humans will notice and talk about all that activity and go hmm.....

No Neighborhood Market locations? For me, those have been easier to deal with than full WM locations.

I'm glad I don't have your problem. I've got a half-dozen WM, WM NM, and TGT, so I can mix it up, not visit some stores for a month or two, and no pattern develops. Recently a TGT staffer said "same as last time?" and even though it was friendly, it made me flinch inwardly and reflect that I must have hit that store too many times in too short a period. There is nothing positive about attracting attention as an MSer, I want to be completely anonymous and not a "regular". So I'm giving that location a rest.

Consider taking a break and do some credit card apps and collect bonus instead. Or research other avenues for MS, they may not be quite as "red circles and arrows" follow same steps over and over and over, but they are out there.

Last edited by ElPresidente; Aug 23, 2015 at 10:32 pm
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by pyx44
Should this be something that I should worry about?...
Nah, nothing to be concerned about. Lots of people have their pictures posted at the Walmart MC and at every cash register, and having a guy with a camera taking pictures of you every time you get near a register is very common - perfectly normal, to be expected. Don't you worry about a thing, just go ahead and keep doing what you've been doing. Your plan for that free trip to Bora Bora is right on track - and believe me, you're gonna love taking that shower at 37,000 feet!

Me, I'm going to go make some popcorn...
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Yeah this is key. I'm guessing no Kate there since OP didn't mention it. 20K a month at a single store, like clockwork? Sooner or later humans will notice and talk about all that activity and go hmm.....

No Neighborhood Market locations? For me, those have been easier to deal with than full WM locations.

I'm glad I don't have your problem. I've got a half-dozen WM, WM NM, and TGT, so I can mix it up, not visit some stores for a month or two, and no pattern develops. Recently a TGT staffer said "same as last time?" and even though it was friendly, it made me flinch inwardly and reflect that I must have hit that store too many times in too short a period. There is nothing positive about attracting attention as an MSer, I want to be completely anonymous and not a "regular". So I'm giving that location a rest.
My bad on the Kate; I read Moneycenter and immediately thought of Kate.

I'm also fortunate and mix it up between multiple WMs/Neighborhood Markets and Targets. I only have one BB and one RB. I was thinking about going with 2 BBs, zero RBs. After reading this, I think spreading out my MS between Target and WM/NM is the way to go.

I'm known at the Simon Mall, but that hasn't been an issue. They've got no problems selling me the VGCs.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
So.... you went to different locations inside the same store on the same trip even after it was obvious they were on to you and then you sent someone else in to try the same thing.... and you wonder if this is going to turn out bad?
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sam_goh
So.... you went to different locations inside the same store on the same trip even after it was obvious they were on to you and then you sent someone else in to try the same thing.... and you wonder if this is going to turn out bad?
I didn't know they were on to me after the 1st load. I usually do 2 loads, no problem. One at the money center, and one at any register near the other end of the entrance. I sent my wife in with her own card. She bearly ever loads herself, but doesn't have a problem doing so if I ever need her to. I am pretty confident that it was safe for her to go load her own card. Would have been no different that another MSer having gone in to load their 2nd or 3rd load in the last year.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElPresidente

Consider taking a break and do some credit card apps and collect bonus instead. Or research other avenues for MS, they may not be quite as "red circles and arrows" follow same steps over and over and over, but they are out there.
No other locations at all, nearby. They are all in the next city down, which is 40 - 50mins away. Guess I could start making a weekly trip. We do, however, have a Kroger. If I had to, I could start doing money orders, but that always seems like it gets the most attention. Would have to be on a far smaller scale than $20k a month.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Nah, nothing to be concerned about. Lots of people have their pictures posted at the Walmart MC and at every cash register, and having a guy with a camera taking pictures of you every time you get near a register is very common - perfectly normal, to be expected. Don't you worry about a thing, just go ahead and keep doing what you've been doing. Your plan for that free trip to Bora Bora is right on track - and believe me, you're gonna love taking that shower at 37,000 feet!

Me, I'm going to go make some popcorn...
Old Aug 23, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), Hyatt PLT, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Find another Walmart.. there are lots of them.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by pyx44
I usually do 2 loads, no problem.

Correction: You thought you were usually doing two loads, no problem. Clearly, WalMart disagrees and your very "non-regular customer" antics drew their attention some time ago.

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.