Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounted gift cards, bonuses and coupons

Old Aug 16, 15, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

While trying to earn miles without sign-up bonuses - one of the ways I've been learning is with the shopping portals. I know some people will buy gift cards for places through office stores for the 5x with Ink Plus, but I don't have that one and will be locked out for 2 years because of Chase's new policy.

Researching more, it seems like you can save more with some stores with discounted gift cards. For example, you can get Banana Republic gift cards at a 25% discount (and still get the 1x points when buying the gift card). Mile bonuses are good - but 25% discounts are better.

Are there good resources for optimizing these types of strategies? For example going into gift card exchanges, portal or spending category bonuses, and coupons to combine for the greatest deals? I'd love to see examples of what's possible by people that are more experienced.
Old Aug 16, 15, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

I see this was moved to manufactured spending - but that's not what I was asking about.

This is real spending, but trying to figure out how to best do it.
Old Aug 16, 15, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SPG, HLTN, ETC
Gift card wiki dot com.

Good site for trackin discounted GC.
Old Aug 16, 15, 6:30 pm

Programs: US Silver / AA Ruby, Hyatt & Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott & SPG Fools Gold
Just make sure that if you are buying discounted gc's from a third party that they come with a guarantee. There are a lot of fraudsters out there that will sell a card to a vendor, drain it, and then you end up with a card worth nada.

Also, if you are buying big ticket items (like electronics, etc) they should be purchased directly with a cc since most of the better cc's offer a warranty.
Old Aug 16, 15, 6:41 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
I use giftcardwiki and giftcard granny for finding discounted gift cards. I've bought dozens of discounted gift cards in the past year or so and they have all been good.

My suggestion - if there are particular stores that you are interested in, track them for a while and get to know what % discounts are in their normal range. Then when you see one ( or more) that are at a bigger discount, then jump on them.

I also use a cash back credit card that gives me an extra 2% on all purchases.
Old Aug 16, 15, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Great reminders for the electronics warranty and scammers. I was mainly looking at sites like giftcardgranny - so it's good to hear that people have had good experiences.

I haven't done this yet - but I think it should be possible to use an airline portal to go onto the shop's website, and then use the giftcard to earn miles on top of the discount.

The other part would be optimizing discounts/promotional coupons on top of these bonuses/discounts. Any sites people recommend for these kinds of promotions? I feel like all the coupon sites that pop up at the top of google are cookie/tracking monsters that would override your portal bonus, and oftentimes aren't valid. I saw DansDeals within Pointsbuzz has some good ideas - is that the best there is?

And does anyone have experience doing all these things together in the same transactions? I saw some of Dan's posts talk about stacking discounts/promotions so that the cost is a fraction of MSRP. This is what I want to get on top of.
Old Aug 16, 15, 7:55 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by Ttrevi88 View Post
Great reminders for the electronics warranty and scammers. I was mainly looking at sites like giftcardgranny - so it's good to hear that people have had good experiences.

I haven't done this yet - but I think it should be possible to use an airline portal to go onto the shop's website, and then use the giftcard to earn miles on top of the discount.

The other part would be optimizing discounts/promotional coupons on top of these bonuses/discounts. Any sites people recommend for these kinds of promotions? I feel like all the coupon sites that pop up at the top of google are cookie/tracking monsters that would override your portal bonus, and oftentimes aren't valid. I saw DansDeals within Pointsbuzz has some good ideas - is that the best there is?

And does anyone have experience doing all these things together in the same transactions? I saw some of Dan's posts talk about stacking discounts/promotions so that the cost is a fraction of MSRP. This is what I want to get on top of.
In my experience it is very difficult to earn cashback or miles/points for shopping at gift card sites. You might find an occasional deal, but I haven't had any luck. Some gift card sites give $5 or so for joining or for refering others. That's the best I have done. But considering that I have found useful gift cards for up to 35% off, I am satisfied.
Old Aug 16, 15, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

I see that earning portal miles on top of gift cards varies by merchant -
http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.co...-portal-myths/