Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Its gonna be alot tougher for MOs & RLDits in NY/NJ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

http://nypost.com/2015/07/15/ap-prep...11-bankruptcy/

If it wasnt bad as it is, if they go under its gonna shut down alot of supply options. Som eof those stores that will be taken over wont be done so by friendly MS companys
Old Jul 15, 2015, 7:59 am

If they are replaced by some S&S, they sell RLs (if you can find them) and you can get MOs with gebit cards.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tontod
If they are replaced by some S&S, they sell RLs (if you can find them) and you can get MOs with gebit cards.
1- as per SnS I found alot dont have MOs, and many that do insist since WU changed their T&Cs that only a true bank DC can be used and some wont let you swipe it but they do on their reg

2- out of well over a dz SnS that are closest to me only 3 have ever had RLDits and none have been restocked since the newest version came along

3- there already are SnS's that are close by most of the stores that will be closing , so I highly doubt they will open new ones so close to the old ones.In many cases just a few blocks away. And if the article is correct only 300 of 1100 stores will get reflagged. So theer may be some new SnS's but seems more likely it will be the other chains who are alot less MS friendly Im sorry to say
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:23 am

I'm by Boston, so I'm not too worried

The 2 S&S close to me, I've been able to get WU money orders. Sometimes they ask to see it, but I can get by, most of the time they dont. Yes, I havent seen RLs at any S&S in the area recently. I'm going to Hess for those.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tontod
I'm by Boston, so I'm not too worried

The 2 S&S close to me, I've been able to get WU money orders. Sometimes they ask to see it, but I can get by, most of the time they dont. Yes, I havent seen RLs at any S&S in the area recently. I'm going to Hess for those.
Problem is not every SnS has WU and some like the ones closest to me take ca$h only

In regards to Hess, dont know how much longer you will have them. All the Hess stations in NY/NJ are now Speedways and I believe they are hard coded for alot of their items. That includes the stations by their HQ in NJ. So I imagine its only time till they get up your way Im sorry to tell you

I used to have a couple of 7s located in gas stations that were great for everything, then they left the 7 chain and became reg marts and bye bye to all my goodies as they no longer carried the ones that were needed.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:29 am
Suspended
Original Poster

The Fat Lady has sung :-(

http://nypost.com/2015/07/20/histori...or-chapter-11/

Now I know why my reg Paths wouldnt sell me anything last Thurs and there wasnt anything in sight on Sat, as the displays were pulled off the floor and by the registers except for their own GCs

Problem is many of those who said they will be buying some stores are already too close to those that sold the goods so not only wont they be taking those stores over but they dont sell the goodies in the stores they now have. So its gonna take a nice drive to stock up going forward, guess I'll just start hitting the Wallys out that way as well, and stop by a Simon, might as well get what I can if Im gonna be using up more gas in 1 trip.

This is gonna kill alot of folks in NYC unless they already drive to NJ for work as not only will they be losing places to get the goods but a place that was good for MOs as well
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:42 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by craz
http://nypost.com/2015/07/20/histori...or-chapter-11/

Now I know why my reg Paths wouldnt sell me anything last Thurs and there wasnt anything in sight on Sat, as the displays were pulled off the floor and by the registers except for their own GCs

Problem is many of those who said they will be buying some stores are already too close to those that sold the goods so not only wont they be taking those stores over but they dont sell the goodies in the stores they now have. So its gonna take a nice drive to stock up going forward, guess I'll just start hitting the Wallys out that way as well, and stop by a Simon, might as well get what I can if Im gonna be using up more gas in 1 trip.

This is gonna kill alot of folks in NYC unless they already drive to NJ for work as not only will they be losing places to get the goods but a place that was good for MOs as well

Last Thursday the mgr at my A and P who I have gotten to know very well over the past coupe years saw me come in and said they can't validate any gift card and she gave me her number and said call her Friday. Friday I called and was told all the gift cards and racks were removed overnight. I could always, always get the Visa GCs there. Always stocked. SR and S and S are random and have been out for a while..
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cruisr
Last Thursday the mgr at my A and P who I have gotten to know very well over the past coupe years saw me come in and said they can't validate any gift card and she gave me her number and said call her Friday. Friday I called and was told all the gift cards and racks were removed overnight. I could always, always get the Visa GCs there. Always stocked. SR and S and S are random and have been out for a while..
A&P used to be great but either they went ca$h only on the RLDits or with an out-of-state DL only selling me 1

Thats what I was told on Thurs as well and they didnt know anything more or so she said. When I went back on Sat and all the racks were pulled I knew something was up. I was getting my RLDits at those stores that carried them and they had a steady flow all the time. VGCs Im able to get at many other places but the RLDits and Prepaid cards are alot harder to find and then using a CC to boot. My reg Path I was walking out with 2-5k each time in RLDits
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The Fat Lady is blasting it out :-(

Went to my reg Path for an MO and by CS theres a sign WU machine is no longer in use! No RLDits to be seen or any GC OK theres a sign they are closing tomorrow and will reopen Fri with a blast of a sale

OK onto my #2 samething and thers a big sign Available for lease, passed by a 3rd on my way to another Wally and samething

Man its back to sq 1 not only for MOs but to find new outlets for my RLDits

As I thought no other chain would be interested since they have their own stores not far from all 3 of these. Pasted 2 A&Ps and signs were up there as well available for lease. So I imagine any store that will be taken over will only be those where they dont have anything nearby and where they never had any Acme pulled out of alot places iin NJ
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:32 am

This stinks, I just found out about this supermarket too
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:53 am

my town has an A&P and it'll convert to ACME. years ago when I wasn't even MSing, i tried buying a Best Buy GC for a gift with a CC. They said cash only and were nasty about it. Don't really care for them. Since starting MSing, I've been shopping at a competitor who is far more MS friendly anyway. Good riddance.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 10:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goblue77
my town has an A&P and it'll convert to ACME. years ago when I wasn't even MSing, i tried buying a Best Buy GC for a gift with a CC. They said cash only and were nasty about it. Don't really care for them. Since starting MSing, I've been shopping at a competitor who is far more MS friendly anyway. Good riddance.
Never found an Acme that let me get GCs using a CC or MOs using a DC or GC, its ca$h only

Passed a couple of more Paths yesterday with a large Available sign front and center. Looking for where SnS is taking over as its hit and miss with them, which is better then Zippo with Acme.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:41 pm

my WALBAUMS being sold to STOP N SHOP ---

DO THEY SELL MO WITH DEBIT CARD?

DO THEY ALLOW C.C. FOR GC?

FULL LIST

http://couponsinthenews.com/2015/07/...complete-list/

Now I see upper posts on S&S
Old Aug 17, 2015, 2:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SPLP007
my WALBAUMS being sold to STOP N SHOP ---

DO THEY SELL MO WITH DEBIT CARD?

DO THEY ALLOW C.C. FOR GC?

FULL LIST

http://couponsinthenews.com/2015/07/...complete-list/

Now I see upper posts on S&S
SnS is a hit and miss, some stores are friendly others not at all. For MO the ones that due in NY now usually check to make sure its a DC from a Bank with your name on it and some wont allow a DC that doesnt have the Banks name splashed on the front of the card, so TM,PP,PP,NetS etc etc wouldnt work. It does depend who's behind the CS counter and which mgr is on at the time.

CC for GCs no problem in 99% of the SnS's

That said if that store retains the old employees and mgrs from Waldbaums you just may be SOL as Waldbaums I found was ca$h only for MOs and with WUs signs up saying bank Dc etc etc Id expect them to adhere very closely to the T&Cs. If your Waldbaums was OK for MOs etc etc then with the same staff it should be biz as usual Id think
Old Aug 18, 2015, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by craz
SnS is a hit and miss, some stores are friendly others not at all. For MO the ones that due in NY now usually check to make sure its a DC from a Bank with your name on it and some wont allow a DC that doesnt have the Banks name splashed on the front of the card, so TM,PP,PP,NetS etc etc wouldnt work. It does depend who's behind the CS counter and which mgr is on at the time.

CC for GCs no problem in 99% of the SnS's

That said if that store retains the old employees and mgrs from Waldbaums you just may be SOL as Waldbaums I found was ca$h only for MOs and with WUs signs up saying bank Dc etc etc Id expect them to adhere very closely to the T&Cs. If your Waldbaums was OK for MOs etc etc then with the same staff it should be biz as usual Id think
I found WB ALLOWED buying GC with a CC EVEN TODAY

MO-- LATELY cash only - 4 weeks ago GC WERE OK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.