Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Gas Stations Selling Visa Gift Cards (take Credit Card Payment)
*Will only code for gas, if gas station attached. YMMV depending on location.

Tom Thumb
Mobil
Cumberland Farms
7/11 (some 7/11 stores will deny if paying with CC! [working fine in Indiana July 2018]

Cash only:
Tom Thumb (may vary)
7/11 (some 7/11 stores will deny if paying with CC! I place those locations on my blacklist ) [hard coded change end of March early April]
Valero (they *officially* stopped accepting credit cards for variable load VGCs late 2015, but started really enforcing it in January per a manager I spoke to in January 2016) / Houston Valero Corner Store (may it RIP all the way back to the VR days)
Family Express (Indiana) (as of ~ 2/10/17 CC no longer accepted)
Print Wikipost

Gas stations that offer $500 VGCs?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
My local grocer has no problem taking Vanilla cards to buy MO. You might try a trial run of $50 or whatever you can organically spend. Good luck!
Mine has a policy against it but some dont enforce, very ymmv.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by Wendigo
I noticed a new Vanilla Mastercard GC at my local 7-11, $50-$500 variable. Anyone else see these? If so, are you able to liquidate via grocery MO as with others?

Have never seen this in my region before. Just curious if it's a trap. Thanks in advance.
I found one as well and bought $100 MCGC as a test with my CC. Liquidated without a glitch at a grocery store. Awesome, so I found a couple more 7/11 stores in the area and bought a $500 MCGC and …… declined. and another store..... declined. Crap I thought, at least I found one store I can use. I went back to it, bought a $500 this time and..... declined !!! wth? So I believe there might be a limit on how much you can charge on the CC containing a GC. $100 and little over works - fact. over $500 does NOt work. It's also possible that it's the things I was buying with it, like a drink and gas at a pump, but can't see why that would affect the decline. I always paired the GC with something else. So I believe it's something in the amount loaded on the GC or the total purchase. Will have to play with those amounts and hopefully the max allowed will still be outweighing the cost of getting and liquidating the cards.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by DjRocket
I found one as well and bought $100 MCGC as a test with my CC. Liquidated without a glitch at a grocery store. Awesome, so I found a couple more 7/11 stores in the area and bought a $500 MCGC and …… declined. and another store..... declined. Crap I thought, at least I found one store I can use. I went back to it, bought a $500 this time and..... declined !!! wth? So I believe there might be a limit on how much you can charge on the CC containing a GC. $100 and little over works - fact. over $500 does NOt work. It's also possible that it's the things I was buying with it, like a drink and gas at a pump, but can't see why that would affect the decline. I always paired the GC with something else. So I believe it's something in the amount loaded on the GC or the total purchase. Will have to play with those amounts and hopefully the max allowed will still be outweighing the cost of getting and liquidating the cards.
I have bought $500 on one card no problem at more than one 7-11. Are you sure your card wasn't declined by the issuer for fraud?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by asot550
I have bought $500 on one card no problem at more than one 7-11. Are you sure your card wasn't declined by the issuer for fraud?
No, I'm not sure, but I've used this CC (AM3X busn Hilton) to buy CCs at grocery stores, simon, etc. with no issues. The clerk at 7/11 immediately said "see... you have to pay cash for gift cards". Perhaps I'll try again and call AM3X right away to see if they declined the charge. What CC have you used?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:35 am

No, I'm not sure, but I've used this CC (AM3X busn Hilton) to buy CCs at grocery stores, simon, etc. with no issues. The clerk at 7/11 immediately said "see... you have to pay cash for gift cards". Perhaps I'll try again and call AM3X right away to see if they declined the charge. What CC have you used?
Biz gold and biz plat. Biz gold triggered a fraud decline the first time I tried.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Bought 2 $500 MGC yesterday with no issues. But this location has a very knowledgeable cashier. In another location, cashier recently changed, and he doesn't know how to process GCs, getting decline every time.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:32 pm
Suspended

If a 7/11 gas station says cash only it doesnt mean the register is hard coded though right?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:45 am

what's the most expensive item/s that you can buy at 7-eleven? just wondering in case the bank issuer questions our (multiple) $500+ 7-eleven purchases. just trying to come up with a plausible explanation if ever.

"they had a sale on some phones and i bought a few". if pressed, "i buy and sell them." will this work? im not sure how much their phones are.
"i bought a year's worth of prepaid phone cards" ???
im just spitballing here. hope you guys got better ideas.

Last edited by mcRib; Aug 27, 2018 at 4:50 am
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by mcRib
what's the most expensive item/s that you can buy at 7-eleven? just wondering in case the bank issuer questions our (multiple) $500+ 7-eleven purchases. just trying to come up with a plausible explanation if ever.

"they had a sale on some phones and i bought a few". if pressed, "i buy and sell them." will this work? im not sure how much their phones are.
"i bought a year's worth of prepaid phone cards" ???
im just spitballing here. hope you guys got better ideas.
CB questioned me on a $4K S&S purchase once. I told them I was hosting a wedding.
mcRib likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FrankMS
CB questioned me on a $4K S&S purchase once. I told them I was hosting a wedding.
CB = Chase?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Wendigo
I noticed a new Vanilla Mastercard GC at my local 7-11, $50-$500 variable. Anyone else see these? If so, are you able to liquidate via grocery MO as with others?

Have never seen this in my region before. Just curious if it's a trap. Thanks in advance.
Its been there all the time. But recently though, both Vanilla VGC and MCGC has new barcode to scan when buying instead of the magstripe on the packaging. Also, FWIW, the new MCGC was giving trouble to load money, so my store has put them aside.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by ChuckMango
CB = Chase?
Citi
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by NBG007
Its been there all the time. But recently though, both Vanilla VGC and MCGC has new barcode to scan when buying instead of the magstripe on the packaging. Also, FWIW, the new MCGC was giving trouble to load money, so my store has put them aside.
Tried to buy a Vanilla VGC that needs to be scanned last night and it wouldn't work. Went and got a OV VGC with a magstripe and that worked just fine.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by cwh82
Tried to buy a Vanilla VGC that needs to be scanned last night and it wouldn't work. Went and got a OV VGC with a magstripe and that worked just fine.
Same here. VVGC failed but MCGC works fine.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by redarmy
Same here. VVGC failed but MCGC works fine.
Worked for me after about 45 mins

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.