Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Gas Stations Selling Visa Gift Cards (take Credit Card Payment)
*Will only code for gas, if gas station attached. YMMV depending on location.

Tom Thumb
Mobil
Cumberland Farms
7/11 (some 7/11 stores will deny if paying with CC! [working fine in Indiana July 2018]

Cash only:
Tom Thumb (may vary)
7/11 (some 7/11 stores will deny if paying with CC! I place those locations on my blacklist ) [hard coded change end of March early April]
Valero (they *officially* stopped accepting credit cards for variable load VGCs late 2015, but started really enforcing it in January per a manager I spoke to in January 2016) / Houston Valero Corner Store (may it RIP all the way back to the VR days)
Family Express (Indiana) (as of ~ 2/10/17 CC no longer accepted)
Print Wikipost

Gas stations that offer $500 VGCs?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2017, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by mrsmsr
My goto 7 eleven just declined my purchase yesterday. Very nice cashier but seemed like the system declined my transaction. Confirmed with my CC that they didn't decline my transaction. Will try to see if it is really hard coded or not.
Yeah that has happened to me 2-3 times this past month but usually I'll wait a day or two and go to again it has worked every time. I just purchased a MGC at 7-11 on Monday and it went through just fine.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 4:32 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by alphakenny1
Yeah that has happened to me 2-3 times this past month but usually I'll wait a day or two and go to again it has worked every time. I just purchased a MGC at 7-11 on Monday and it went through just fine.
IME 7-11 locations without chip readers seem to do this. I haven't had a problem at locations with chip readers enabled.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
IME 7-11 locations without chip readers seem to do this. I haven't had a problem at locations with chip readers enabled.
Interesting, the places that I got denied was via the chip reader. It was with just one card (Bank America Rewards), but each time, I'd just wait one day or two and then it would work (at the same location too).
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
My favorite -4 seems to now have a velocity limit. In the past, I could buy a VGC with one credit card and then immediately buy another VGC with a second credit card. But within the past few months, the second purchase has been declined. I don't know what amount of time is required to reset the register so that a second purchase is possible. I tried a 10 minute wait, but that did not do it, and I don't want to hang around any longer than that.

Anyway, perhaps someone purchased a VGC before you and you ran up against a velocity limit? But by the next day, the register was reset and you could purchase.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:45 pm

My local -4 still works for buying VGC w/CC. Just did it twice in the past 3 days. The same clerk both times. He wasn't sure initially that it would work, but it did go through no problems.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: AA, UAL
Issue with VGC from 7-11.

Originally Posted by shadow520
My local -4 still works for buying VGC w/CC. Just did it twice in the past 3 days. The same clerk both times. He wasn't sure initially that it would work, but it did go through no problems.
Bought a few VGC MC at 7-11 for $500, when tried to use it, it was declined, tried to check balance, system said "invalid card number". Called customer service, was asked to submit copy of ID, gc, gc packaging and store receipt to them over email. Was told issue should get resolved in 3-5 days, not yet resolved after 3 days . Searched to get some answers, apparently, some MSers had similar issue in 2014, which got resolved in few hours. Fingers crossed...................
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:49 am

Anyone know if Speedways are hard coded for no cc at register? Also if gc purchases will count for speedy rewards?

Could potentially buy $200 ov vgc and get just over 20c/gallon back which would negate the fee.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Anyone been meeting with success at Cumberland Farms? Looking to hit the Min Spend on my Citi Premier all in the 3x category.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by asot550
Anyone know if Speedways are hard coded for no cc at register? Also if gc purchases will count for speedy rewards?.
I have bought visa gc with a Discover Card at Speedways.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Klemhuzzah
I have bought visa gc with a Discover Card at Speedways.
Cool, I'll give it a try to see if I get earn points as well with speedy rewards. If not then the $200's won't make monetary sense.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by asot550
Cool, I'll give it a try to see if I get earn points as well with speedy rewards. If not then the $200's won't make monetary sense.
Was able to buy a $200 ov vgc with amex, but did not earn fuel points so a net loss.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: United
I noticed a new Vanilla Mastercard GC at my local 7-11, $50-$500 variable. Anyone else see these? If so, are you able to liquidate via grocery MO as with others?

Have never seen this in my region before. Just curious if it's a trap. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: UR, Hilton, AA, Delta, SPG/Marriott
Originally Posted by Wendigo
I noticed a new Vanilla Mastercard GC at my local 7-11, $50-$500 variable. Anyone else see these? If so, are you able to liquidate via grocery MO as with others?

Have never seen this in my region before. Just curious if it's a trap. Thanks in advance.
Most 7-11 will not let you purchase with credit, but YMMV. They should liquidate the same as any other Vanilla MCGC.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by cflchurn
Most 7-11 will not let you purchase with credit, but YMMV. They should liquidate the same as any other Vanilla MCGC.
Yeah, never liquidated a Vanilla MGC of any variety.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 12:15 am

My local grocer has no problem taking Vanilla cards to buy MO. You might try a trial run of $50 or whatever you can organically spend. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.