Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Gas Stations Selling Visa Gift Cards (take Credit Card Payment)
*Will only code for gas, if gas station attached. YMMV depending on location.

Tom Thumb
Mobil
Cumberland Farms
7/11 (some 7/11 stores will deny if paying with CC! [working fine in Indiana July 2018]

Cash only:
Tom Thumb (may vary)
7/11 (some 7/11 stores will deny if paying with CC! I place those locations on my blacklist ) [hard coded change end of March early April]
Valero (they *officially* stopped accepting credit cards for variable load VGCs late 2015, but started really enforcing it in January per a manager I spoke to in January 2016) / Houston Valero Corner Store (may it RIP all the way back to the VR days)
Family Express (Indiana) (as of ~ 2/10/17 CC no longer accepted)
Print Wikipost

Gas stations that offer $500 VGCs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
Datapoints need to state the network in order to be useful (Visa/MC/Amex/Discover) cuz for example almost all 7-11s will code as gas if you use your Visa, and almost none will code as gas if you use your Amex (inside, where you would have to be to buy a GC).
Yep.

I have a 7-11 that codes and rewards as GAS for both Visa and MC, and although it codes as GAS for AMEX, they don't code it for rewards.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Hbax
Yep.

I have a 7-11 that codes and rewards as GAS for both Visa and MC, and although it codes as GAS for AMEX, they don't code it for rewards.
THIS.

Also, to make things even more frustrating, I see that Amex appears to list "Gift card purchase" clearly broken out on statements (even when I purchases a gift card and a six-pack of beer!) - that's more granular than I would like.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 6:49 pm

That's your merchant, utilizing Level-3 reporting tech. AMEX is just regurgitating what the merchant is sending them.

LOVE my non-Level-3 grocery stores. Reports as: GROCERY. So I buy a lot of food, eh ?
Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:57 am

guys does any of these gas stations sell non - vanilla brand GCs. 7-11 just sell vanillas and are harder to liquidate.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:59 am

i have 2 tom thumbs nearby one with gas station attached and another one without gas stations.

So i buy GC in the one with gas stations attached , does it code as gas station ?

my other one just code as grocery.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: Northwest, United
There are NO 100% reliable answers to most of these questions. The only way to know is to go into the place, see what they have, buy what they have, and when your credit card bill comes, examine it carefully. You have to get off your arse and try some stuff. Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it doesn't.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:22 am

there are lot of people who have already tried out tom thumb and thats why it is mentioned in the wiki.Questions are posted so that people who have tried out can share their data points. FT is for sharing knowledge.

Instead of bumping an thread where the last post was 10 days old and posting an arse reply , why cant people shut their arse and keep quiet
Old Dec 26, 2015, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
guys does any of these gas stations sell non - vanilla brand GCs. 7-11 just sell vanillas and are harder to liquidate.
Related question: what are good techniques for liquidating Vanilla VGCs?
Old Dec 26, 2015, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by carpediem22
If a merchant is selling gift cards and I pay for one with my credit card, how do I know in advance whether the transaction will post as a cash advance (obviously not desirable) or as a regular purchase?
Haven't seen this answered so I'll bump it a bit - do GC sales ever post as a cash advance?
Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by rasgueado
Related question: what are good techniques for liquidating Vanilla VGCs?
i just get money order for 2 1k MO from krogers and deposit into my credit union account . Not my main account.

Planning to try MO deposits into prepaid accounts ( t mobile , go bank , account now) using mobile apps.

Do not deposit MO into ur main account , chase , citi checking accounts.

Then remaining Vanilla GC will load into serve from FG or DG
Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:47 pm

Haven't seen this answered so I'll bump it a bit - do GC sales ever post as a cash advance?

Mostly not. It will code as purchase only. Just for safer side request ur bank to change the cash advance limit to zero
Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:09 am

i just get money order for 2 1k MO from krogers and deposit into my credit union account . Not my main account.

Do not deposit MO into ur main account , chase , citi checking accounts.
Thanks! Why is that? I've heard that MOs can look suspicious and trigger investigation, especially in bulk, but I've not seen too many data points on this.

And why is a credit union fine for MOs?

Then remaining Vanilla GC will load into serve from FG or DG
Sorry but - what do FG/DG stand for?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:45 am

Thanks! Why is that? I've heard that MOs can look suspicious and trigger investigation, especially in bulk, but I've not seen too many data points on this.

And why is a credit union fine for MOs?

Sorry but - what do FG/DG stand for?
FD- Family dollar
DG - Dollar general

Above 2 stores accept vanilla gift cards to load serve / BB

u should read below 2 threads for more data points

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...phone-atm.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...wn-thread.html
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: United 1K
Never had any problem depositing multiple money orders at my Credit Union.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
FD- Family dollar
DG - Dollar general

Above 2 stores accept vanilla gift cards to load serve / BB

u should read below 2 threads for more data points

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...phone-atm.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...wn-thread.html
Actually, he should be reading the New to Manufactured Spending thread at the top.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.