Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: financialhippie
Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard

Successful Payees:
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check)
Citi Mortgage: Processed 10/7, Sent 10/8, Arrived-Posted 10/15
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by josephstern
OK. I see. The company is pretty amateurish, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

But why not just pay all of the bills from the same account in that situation?
Just trying to have the CC name match the name on the mortgage being paid, that's all.. although not sure if that even matters..
Old Nov 22, 2015, 10:26 pm

Tried setting up a check payment for a little over $700 for "Rent and Utilities". Currently renting from family with family living here.

Plastic sent me an email saying that I need to provide documentation.

Replied stating that the cost is for "room and board" and is a flat rate but no documentation because it's family. Told them I wanted to use their service for a receipt and online tracking. Billed to my address because that's the address of my "landlord".

I'll update when they reply.

Update: Apparently they don't support "informal" rent agreements. To me this is mind boggling because how in the world do you figure walking someone's dog (as they say) is viable since they most likely have no "invoice" but informal rent is not. I feel like I should just accept a service for over $700 to let someone "walk my dog" (kidding, obviously this won't work).

Last edited by Amrian0415; Nov 23, 2015 at 2:39 pm
Old Nov 23, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by odin99
i thought the issue was if you loaded the PPMC to PP and then transferred to $ your bank. you'd think that loading PPMC to PP and then spending regularly is what they'd intend the PPMC's to be used for...
My PP accounts were shut down some time ago, they told me it was not because of PPBDC, but because I was loading PPMC. Those are intended for people who doesn't have a bank account and a credit card. You should load your PP with PPMC, then spend it via merchants who accept PP as a form of payment.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:26 am

I made 3 debit payments to my WF mortgage on 11/12. After Plastiq verified the biller, they sent out 2 checks on 11/16 and 1 on 11/17. I understand it takes several days for the checks to arrive at their destination and then for the biller to process them, but it's now a full week after the payments were supposedly mailed. My WF mortgage PO Box is in Los Angeles. I made payments to a Chase mortgage using credit card last month and I don't remember it taking this long. Should I be making phone calls at this point?
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I made 3 debit payments to my WF mortgage on 11/12. After Plastiq verified the biller, they sent out 2 checks on 11/16 and 1 on 11/17. I understand it takes several days for the checks to arrive at their destination and then for the biller to process them, but it's now a full week after the payments were supposedly mailed. My WF mortgage PO Box is in Los Angeles. I made payments to a Chase mortgage using credit card last month and I don't remember it taking this long. Should I be making phone calls at this point?
No, it will likely be there by end of the week or 11/30.. assuming it's for the December mortgage then you have until 12/15 anyways, relax.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by frudd38

No, it will likely be there by end of the week or 11/30.. assuming it's for the December mortgage then you have until 12/15 anyways, relax.
I'm in no rush. I was worried that the payments weren't processed correctly. I've never done third party paper checks for WF before
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BA, National EE, Hertz President Circle, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriot Silver
I made recently 2 rent payments to plastiq using the 1.5 mastercard promo, after all the verification each time, everything was ok.

Now when I tried by the current promo, they just refused to process the payment, I am coroius if they just refuse because I only use them when they have promotions.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Its perception. Your scenario looks too much like a person to person (in this case a self) transfer which is not supported. Although you could pay a dog walker, they would be expected to be a business so it is a person to business transfer.

You can instead use paypal to create an invoice and then use this as proof of bill and I bet Plastiq would accept it.

Originally Posted by Amrian0415
Tried setting up a check payment for a little over $700 for "Rent and Utilities". Currently renting from family with family living here.

Plastic sent me an email saying that I need to provide documentation.

Replied stating that the cost is for "room and board" and is a flat rate but no documentation because it's family. Told them I wanted to use their service for a receipt and online tracking. Billed to my address because that's the address of my "landlord".

I'll update when they reply.

Update: Apparently they don't support "informal" rent agreements. To me this is mind boggling because how in the world do you figure walking someone's dog (as they say) is viable since they most likely have no "invoice" but informal rent is not. I feel like I should just accept a service for over $700 to let someone "walk my dog" (kidding, obviously this won't work).
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:08 am

So I just attempted to pay a new payee with an MC and the current 1.5% promo doesn't show up (shows 2.5%).. anyone else?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
So I just attempted to pay a new payee with an MC and the current 1.5% promo doesn't show up (shows 2.5%).. anyone else?
Is it instant payment or in the future. Only instant payments qualify for the 1.5%.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by imm2b
Is it instant payment or in the future. Only instant payments qualify for the 1.5%.
Thanks, this made me take a closer look at the promo details and realized it's only for a one time payment, not recurring, which I had attempted.

Just a note: I made a mortgage payment from my account for someone else's mortgage and even though I inputted their Full Name on the payment details, the Check Preview still shows my name. Hopefully the bank will have no issue with this..
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Round two for me of trying a check WAYYYY in advance of when it needs to arrive.

They took payment from me within one day, and now it's more than ten days and my payment hasn't arrived.

Does anyone here have a situation where they pay their mortgage via check to a major financial institution using US mail and it takes more than ten days regularly?

This just doesn't happen. Expect with these guys.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 8:56 pm

I submitted 3 payments to my WF mortgage on 11/12-- $500, $500, $169. I had to verify WF's address, and on 11/17, I got notice that payments for $500 and $169 were sent out. I emailed Plastiq to inquire about the 3rd payment ($500), they apologized for missing it (really!), and it was mailed out the next day 11/18. WF posted the first 2 payments ($500 and $169) toward principal on Monday 11/23, but still nothing for the 3rd payment. I know this was a holiday week, but the 3rd payment was sent out 1 day later. If it doesn't post by Monday, I'm going to contact WF and/or Plastiq.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:25 pm

This thread needs a WIKI for common questions, such as which cards can be used (not Discover), which banks treat these as cash advances, what types of payments are routine (apparently to firms on their list such as large utilities and mortgage companies), and which create problems (apparently to firms that are not are known to them and may be hidden person to person ones), and what are minimum and maximum payments (some may wish to make large payments in the tens of thousand to law firms or others)?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:28 pm

BOA Visa experiment

Because of reports that Visa may be treated as cash advances, I set up a $1.00 test payment from my BOA Visa to a large well known utility. It shows up as $1.00 to Plastiq with name of the Utility and Pending Plastiq*US UTIL FEE ACCOU. This leads me to believe BOA will not treat this as a cash advance, and may encourage me to use them for other purposes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.