Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: financialhippie
Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard

Successful Payees:
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check)
Citi Mortgage: Processed 10/7, Sent 10/8, Arrived-Posted 10/15
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question

Does anyone know whether using DL AMEX will cause the transaction to post as "Cash Advance" or will it post like a normal transaction? I'm thinking about using Plastiq to pay rent.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Does anyone know whether using DL AMEX will cause the transaction to post as "Cash Advance" or will it post like a normal transaction? I'm thinking about using Plastiq to pay rent.
I haven't used that card, but Plastiq should be a purchase. There are datapoints earlier that AmEx SPG was fine.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:46 pm

Amex

My SPG posts as purchase. My mortgage is automatically paid through plastiq under old promo. I am now a Starwood gold member without ever staying at one of the hotels!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:41 am

Just used this service for the first time. Took five days for my mortgage payment to post. Plastiq sent an email that PHH Mortgage (where my mortgage is held) was added to their electronic transfer partners. Worked fine with my CSP - posted and got points.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eccentricfusion
Just used this service for the first time. Took five days for my mortgage payment to post. Plastiq sent an email that PHH Mortgage (where my mortgage is held) was added to their electronic transfer partners. Worked fine with my CSP - posted and got points.
The points were worth the fees to you?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM

Is it safe to assume that my landlord will get the rent check in about 5 business days? I've never used this service before and am trying to get a sense of when my landlord will get my rent. Thanks all!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Is it safe to assume that my landlord will get the rent check in about 5 business days? I've never used this service before and am trying to get a sense of when my landlord will get my rent. Thanks all!
The first payment to a payee can take a little longer sometimes. I would give 10 business days cushion on the first payment to each payee.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
The points were worth the fees to you?
I would still have to pay a fee to pay with online debit using Western Union if paying online. Recently my mortgage company changed it where the only thing that doesn't charge a fee is sending in a check. I don't use checks and the difference isn't that bad - I can get around 2-3 cents a point with UR. ~$1300 mortgage payment ends up being around $26 worth in travel to me (conservatively), which covers the fees, easily. At worst, it's pretty much break even.

It also provides an option to quickly hit minimum spends without MS. Sometimes I have time for MS, sometimes I don't.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:47 pm

Points are worth the Plastiq fees to me!! Flying First class this year to Japan on JAL and back First class on Cathay (via Hong Kong). Over .10 cents value per mile. $2,000 in point fees plus $200 for a ticket taht costs over 10k. (Value is judgemntal)I am paying aprox same price as non stop coach fare for first class ticket. Granted, I am actually paying for it, but I find it so worthwhile.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by chaser123
Points are worth the Plastiq fees to me!! Flying First class this year to Japan on JAL and back First class on Cathay (via Hong Kong). Over .10 cents value per mile. $2,000 in point fees plus $200 for a ticket taht costs over 10k. (Value is judgemntal)I am paying aprox same price as non stop coach fare for first class ticket. Granted, I am actually paying for it, but I find it so worthwhile.
Yep, if I end up using points for business/first to Asia, I get well over 10 ccp also.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:49 pm

Good to know WF Mortgage is allowed. Has anyone tried any cash back cards - e.g., Amex Blue Cash Preferred?

I have a Chase Ink Biz Plus card as well ... so for a $2200 mortgage, I'd be paying about $55 in fees, correct?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:11 am

Paid a caliber home loans mortgage, they processed it about 1 day after I submitted the payment, it got sent 2 days later, and arrived to caliber about 1 week after that.

Now I'll try my HOA dues...
Old Jan 9, 2016, 4:26 pm

Anybody know if citi AA platinum select MC card will post as CA or purchase? Any data point is appreciated.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chaser123
Great post. It's a little refreshing to see this situation, and it makes a good point. Plastiq and other similar services are great for situations where you know you can use the points well.

It sounds like you accumulated AA miles here. Was this less expensive than just buying the miles from AA? Right now, anyway, they are selling for about 2.2c/mile. Plastiq fees move around, but I generally see them at 2.5%.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Great post. It's a little refreshing to see this situation, and it makes a good point. Plastiq and other similar services are great for situations where you know you can use the points well.

It sounds like you accumulated AA miles here. Was this less expensive than just buying the miles from AA? Right now, anyway, they are selling for about 2.2c/mile. Plastiq fees move around, but I generally see them at 2.5%.
I use SPG (which transfers to AA at 1.25 AA miles per SPG). My mortgage is locked in at 1.99% on platiq through old promo. Whenever a special rate comes around I skip my recurring payment and use a differnet card under the lower promo rate. I know its close to being a wash to buying the AA miles, but I have to pay my mortage, so why not. Not a great deal but I know I will put good use to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.