Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Am I totally screwed out of $1400 by H&R ?

Am I totally screwed out of $1400 by H&R ?

Old May 18, 15, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by happyharrys View Post
Basically the money is with the card issuers and if I can just get the card numbers from H&R(which they obviously have) then the card issuers have confirmed they can reissue the GC`s. H&R block said they will call me in 48 hours so just waiting for their call.
I am willing to take a bet that H&R won't call you in 48 hrs.
I've heard that statement from their CSRs a few times. It looks like they probably have it in their manual to get rid of complaining customers.
Old May 18, 15, 11:36 am

Basically the money is with the card issuers and if I can just get the card numbers from H&R(which they obviously have) then the card issuers have confirmed they can reissue the GC`s.
How do you know the money is with the card issuers?

After u get the card #s, you will need the proof of purchase to reissue new cards.

If u have proof of purchase that will be inclusive of the card #.

I would insist a check from H&R. I want my money! (attitude)

Originally Posted by LoveMountains View Post
I am willing to take a bet that H&R won't call you in 48 hrs.
I've heard that statement from their CSRs a few times. It looks like they probably have it in their manual to get rid of complaining customers.
CSRs are front line defense to these banksters, they have very misguiding title....They would push u away until u jump on them however some times charm works but kick from FDIC always does.
Old May 18, 15, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
How do you know the money is with the card issuers?

After u get the card #s, you will need the proof of purchase to reissue new cards.

If u have proof of purchase that will be inclusive of the card #.

I would insist a check from H&R. I want my money! (attitude)
The OP stated in his post that he threw away his VGCs and receipts. We have one smart cookie here.
Old May 18, 15, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs View Post
The OP stated in his post that he threw away his VGCs and receipts. We have one smart cookie here.

Suggestion was to get the duplicate receipt which will include the #s (1 shot 2 birds), trying to get the #s only is redundant.

Its amazing that 1 error (hope not intentional!) from the bankster can create so much of complexities and so many posts going in circles on this thread.

The irony is H&R created the mess(OP's nightmare). In this electronic data traceability age why would they insist proof of something already in their system? The corporate bureaucratic set up is acting worst than the 'big Government'
Old May 18, 15, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
Suggestion was to get the duplicate receipt which will include the #s (1 shot 2 birds), trying to get the #s only is redundant.

Its amazing that 1 error (hope not intentional!) from the bankster can create so much of complexities and so many posts going in circles on this thread.

The irony is H&R created the mess(OP's nightmare). In this electronic data traceability age why would they insist proof of something already in their system? The corporate bureaucratic set up is acting worst than the 'big Government'
Many stores dont print out the complete #, just the last 4 digits and with that MVD wasnt able to trace anything. They may be able to send a request to their back office to look up the transaction, but CV wanted a date and time,along with the CC# used and then they had no idea how long it would be before they knew if it was possible to retrive it
Old May 18, 15, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

I am going round and round in circles with the CSR at H&R. They say I have to talk to fraud department who will call me in 48 hours. Nobody calls. I call them back and they say the same and again nobody calls. I call again and ask them what is going on , I point them to their terms and condition etc... and all they have to say is someone will call. I asked if they can give me the debit card numbers and she said she doesn't have access to that. I told them I will have to sue them in small claims court.....she said go ahead. They have a whole team of lawyers who will respond to the subpoena.

I am again going to wait for another 2 days for their call. This time I did get an email confirming the escalation of issue and a case number.

In case this doesn't go anywhere can I go to small claims and sue them ? If yes, their address is Cardholder Customer Service, PO Box 10170, Kansas
City, MO 64171. Will my local small claims court accept this or am I supposed to file the case in Kansas city ?
Old May 18, 15, 7:36 pm

In most jurisdictions lawyers are not allowed to be present in small claims, so they would have to fly down a real employee for court, call their bluff.
Old May 18, 15, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seahawksunite View Post
In most jurisdictions lawyers are not allowed to be present in small claims, so they would have to fly down a real employee for court, call their bluff.
Is Cardholder Customer Service an appropriate entity to sue in this case ? I am thinking of filing small claims tomorrow.
Old May 18, 15, 7:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tymothy View Post
I was in your identical boat. H&R emerald card shut down, funds refunded to discarded giftcard I had no information for. I called the giftcard company with my name and address, and they were able to send a card to the address I had registered with them. They deducted $4.95 for issuing a new card, but whatever.
I didn't register the cards
Old May 18, 15, 8:10 pm

Is Cardholder Customer Service an appropriate entity to sue in this case ? I am thinking of filing small claims tomorrow.
No, you need to research and find the 'corporate agent' usually its at the corporate registered office address, find in law library or courts and law offices have the databases.

I think u are jumping the gun, 1st file a complaint with the regulatory agency, Some one here may know FDIC, OCC or any other stay focused on $1400 claim thats what u want, asking for anything else u will be in circles.

Whoever you talk repeat "I want my $1400" nothing else......avoid discussing about things u do not have, its not your fault H&R messed up.....

Last edited by prasha11; May 18, 15 at 8:15 pm
Old May 18, 15, 10:51 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I bought 7x$200 VGC`s at staples with my Chase Ink and used them to load H&R emerald card. They shut my account down after 7 $200 loads and said they will refund.

I didn't think much of it. But after two weeks I called them today to check status and they said they refunded 200$ to the 7 cards.

Problem is I threw away the debit cards and the receipts along with them

I called H&R and they said they will escalate the case but she said since money is already refunded most likely they can't do much.

Am I totally screwed ???
You should change the title of this thread to "I SCREWED MYSELF, HELP!"

Believe it or not you should dispute the charges with Chase, there should be some kind of purchase protection with this card.
Old May 18, 15, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe someone who actually did what you want to can speak up. But if I was the judge or whatever, and you dont present any proof that you indeed purchased the GCs that you say H&R sent the $$ back to, along with the card #s so I know 100% whats what , I cant say Id side in your favor.

However if you can prove that H&R was suppose to only send you the $$ back and not refund it to its original source under any circumstances then that may sway me to your side.

Having been there with a problem with CVS I can tell you your best bet is to hopefully get a dupicate receipt from the store you purchased them at that shows not only the card #s but your full CC# or at least the last few digits and then hopefully get the Issuer of the cards to send you new cards. If that store or CS dept of the chain wont work with you then small claims may be you last chance

Good Luck, I know the feeling even thou my problem wasnt near your amount
Old May 19, 15, 12:48 am

H&R Block Corporate Office Headquarters HQ:
One H&R Block Way
Kansas City, MO 64105
Corporate Phone Number: 1-816-854-3000
Corporate Fax Number: 1-816-753-5346
Corporate Email: [email protected]

Call the corporate office first thing in the morning, talk to the CEO and try to explain your situation. You should even get the address of where to send the court papers in case they don't want to cooperate.
I would also file a complaint at http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Good luck!
Old May 19, 15, 7:00 am

How did you load money to H&RB card? If it is at walmart money center, then u can get money at walmart. I had similar situation with BP, I paid over 10k and asked for refund. Bank instead of sending check they reversed it. I got the cash at money center but I had the receipts.
Old May 19, 15, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by mhdena View Post
You should change the title of this thread to "I SCREWED MYSELF, HELP!"
Believe it or not you should dispute the charges with Chase, there should be some kind of purchase protection with this card.
No, the title should be "H&R BLOCK SCREWED, HELP!"
(By making someone dumb makes u feel smarter?)

The Gift card purchase is not the issue and H&R Block has accepted the cards and drained the value but messed up by retuning the deposit

Originally Posted by craz View Post
Maybe someone who actually did what you want to can speak up. But if I was the judge or whatever, and you dont present any proof that you indeed purchased the GCs that you say H&R sent the $$ back to, along with the card #s so I know 100% whats what , I cant say Id side in your favor.
H&R is not disputing the deposit, has accepted $1400 from GC. H&R messed up by retuning the deposit. If there is no dispute what is the need for any proof or taking sides? only H&RB can fix it.

Originally Posted by tech2011 View Post
How did you load money to H&RB card? If it is at walmart money center, then u can get money at walmart. I had similar situation with BP, I paid over 10k and asked for refund. Bank instead of sending check they reversed it. I got the cash at money center but I had the receipts.
It does not matter how he loaded, H&RB has taken the money and messed up, this is not BP case.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: