Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Am I totally screwed out of $1400 by H&R ?

Am I totally screwed out of $1400 by H&R ?

Old May 14, 15, 4:12 pm

Sounds like not necessary now, but don't stores keep record of customer's purchases for a month or something like that? They can reprint the receipt if so. Just crossed my mind.

Last edited by vagrants; May 14, 15 at 5:35 pm
Old May 14, 15, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear View Post
If you think it's okay to pass fault to a company even if it's clearly not their fault, then hopefully, it doesn't backfire on your later.
H&R can refuse to accept any deposit they do not like but cannot reverse the transaction unilaterally after accepting the money in his account. However, if they did that its is their obligation to provide the proper proof, documentation and the fine details. (To buy MO using Vanilla GC at WMT the register refuses to accept, (one day my meta visas were accepted at the register but printer froze, I was offered cash alternative.)

Reversing the deposit is very sneaky thing to do!

However, cooperation and assistance between the buyer and seller in business transaction is good business practice and ethics, avoids any regulatory agencies or court involvement.

The OP has accepted his mistake, whats the point in everyone beating him down? It was fun doing that in my high school days
Old May 14, 15, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prasha11 View Post
The OP has accepted his mistake, whats the point in everyone beating him down? It was fun doing that in my high school days
Prasha : I am driving down to LA from santa barbara this weekend. I will buy you a coffee just for being so nice
Old May 14, 15, 4:58 pm

Reversing the deposit is very sneaky thing to do!
I don't know that I would call it sneaky at all. Many financial institutions will return payment to the source sometimes many months later. It is unfortunate that gift card issuers don't warn of this risk but that is why I have stacks of empty VCGs in case somebody returns money to a card.

I was dealing with a large Fortune 500 company that is a household name who decided they were going to return some of my payments. Just to make it interesting they didn't return payment to my last used cards but seemingly random ones sometimes used months before, now that was sneaky. It was great fun trying to figure out which of the VCGs had a balance now.
Old May 14, 15, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by happyharrys View Post
Regarding getting the receipts from Staples, will the receipts help with getting the VGC`s reissued ? AFAIK there is no card info besides the last 4 digits on the receipt. I already can get the last 4 digits from H&R as the CSR can see this info on my account on her side but the last 4 are useless as per the GC issuer.
I've read plenty of stories about people on here using their store receipts to get cards re-issued from the GC company after faxing in identifying information etc.... So you should definitely try that route.
Old May 14, 15, 6:24 pm

Prasha : I am driving down to LA from santa barbara this weekend. I will buy you a coffee just for being so nice
I am just being normal and sensible, we are here to support each other. If I am blunt about someone's mistake, huge blunder or put a blame, I will include my comment, opinion or helpful suggestion about how to get out of the situation or resolve the issue.

Thanks for coffee invite, I am about 45 miles further south of LAX.

Originally Posted by 36902BRF View Post
I don't know that I would call it sneaky at all.
I am sure the action was sneaky if not unethical or illegal. I am not sure if there was any good faith explanation, justification and consent. Unless,

Was there any proof of criminal act or illegally obtained assets deposited? that might make some sense! such actions are very harsh....not good for customer relations. Well, who care about that, only 3 banks left

Banksters and gangsters can get away from as serious act as murder! The laws are only good as its enforcement.
Old May 14, 15, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
I was in your identical boat. H&R emerald card shut down, funds refunded to discarded giftcard I had no information for. I called the giftcard company with my name and address, and they were able to send a card to the address I had registered with them. They deducted $4.95 for issuing a new card, but whatever.
Old May 16, 15, 2:11 pm
inY

Quoth clause 16 of the H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard Cardholder Agreement: "In the event your Card Account is canceled, closed, or terminated for any reason, the unused balance will be returned to you via a check to the mailing address we have in our records." If that hasn't happened to you, recommend filing a dispute by mail per clause 17, opting out of arbitration per clause 18, and reminding them of that.

I am not a lawyer.
Old May 16, 15, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inY View Post
Quoth clause 16 of the H&R Block Emerald Prepaid Mastercard Cardholder Agreement: "In the event your Card Account is canceled, closed, or terminated for any reason, the unused balance will be returned to you via a check to the mailing address we have in our records." If that hasn't happened to you, recommend filing a dispute by mail per clause 17, opting out of arbitration per clause 18, and reminding them of that.

I am not a lawyer.
Thank you soooooo much. I was totally unaware of this and I will try to use the wording in clause #16 to hold them accountable.
Old May 17, 15, 8:21 am

True that !

Good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.
H&R emerald card refunded 200$ to the 7 cards to avoid retuning funds to you after accepting the money.

H&R emerald either had some stupid employees making random decisions about your money or did a sneaky, strange and weird thing, that comes from arrogance or incompetency, (or to avoid clause #16 compliance?)

The following example explains what they did.

U sell your car to Joe for 10k

Joe brings 10k cashiers check (ABC bank) because you think that is safe and sure payment.

u deposit + your bank accepts and credit your account.

Then they do the weird/strange/sneaky thing of retuning your funds back to Joe. (because they dislike monies coming from ABC bank?)

your car is gone and u are out of money your bank expects u to go after Joe and repossess your car?

These type of action keeps Fraud dept busy, wthout realizing the fraudster is in house. maybe they know, to keep unemployment #s low?
Old May 17, 15, 11:17 am

I am not a lawyer.
One need not be a lawyer to understand that means a check will be issued. OP got no check issued, so they are not upholding the agreement.
Old May 17, 15, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864 View Post
One need not be a lawyer to understand that means a check will be issued. OP got no check issued, so they are not upholding the agreement.
@:-)

but the funds were returned back to the source from his account, there is no money in the account to issue a refund check...unless H&R emerald has powers to pull back the money they returned?

The only thing H&R emerald can do is assist OP to recover from the GCs bank. will they/will they not?
Old May 17, 15, 2:40 pm
inY

but the funds were returned back to the source from his account, there is no money in the account to issue a refund check...unless H&R emerald has powers to pull back the money they returned?

The only thing H&R emerald can do is assist OP to recover from the GCs bank. will they/will they not?
The bank made an error by not following their own terms. They can correct this error by charging the prepaid cards again and sending a check.

Problem is that H&R block is conflating "unprofitable customer" with "fraud". In a true fraud situation, refunding the cards would be the right thing to do. But they're not treating it like fraud by alerting the issuing bank.
Old May 17, 15, 3:35 pm

I am not a lawyer.
^

OP, check these terms on HRB MCprepaid card cardholder agreement

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864 View Post
correct, HRB is the one that is violating their own terms. They have the right to cancel OP's account but they have to follow what is stated in their own T&C.

why are your statements now contradictory when all the while you were suppose to be FOR OP's interest? seems like you're singing a different tune now

The bank made an error by not following their own terms. They can correct this error by charging the prepaid cards again and sending a check.

Problem is that H&R block is conflating "unprofitable customer" with "fraud". In a true fraud situation, refunding the cards would be the right thing to do. But they're not treating it like fraud by alerting the issuing bank.
I concur.

OP, I hope that if you point out to them their own T&C, they will change their tune and mail you a check. IF they make it difficult, it's time to get CFPB involved.
Old May 17, 15, 6:55 pm

correct, HRB is the one that is violating their own terms. They have the right to cancel OP's account but they have to follow what is stated in their own T&C.

why are your statements now contradictory when all the while you were suppose to be FOR OP's interest? seems like you're singing a different tune now
Why would a company suffer a loss in cases of one's negligence. I'm not saying OP was negligent but he was well aware of risks of shutdown in the HRB thread since he posted there before this happened. Therefore, let's call it as it is.

If you think it's okay to pass fault to a company even if it's clearly not their fault, then hopefully, it doesn't backfire on your later.
My statements are not contradictory, u don't understand the tune

read your own contradictory statement from post #40 on page #3

If HRB really returned the funds, how can u expect them to issue a check? (Maybe, who can understand the banksters? we'll wait and see)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: