FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   How much did you MS last year, current YTD? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1676019-how-much-did-you-ms-last-year-current-ytd.html)

KRSW Apr 29, 2015 12:50 am

How much did you MS last year, current YTD?

I'm just curious... haven't MS'd in ages (the dollar coins was my last racket).

How much $ did people MS last year? How much YTD?

I have a feeling that what some of us think is a lot is actually minimal compared to what people actually do. I think some of the apprehension of MS noobs, or people like myself who've not done it in ages, is what is large vs. average.

MG49 Apr 29, 2015 5:08 am

Originally Posted by KRSW (Post 24737317)

I have a feeling that what some of us think is a lot is actually minimal compared to what people actually do. I think some of the apprehension of MS noobs, or people like myself who've not done it in ages, is what is large vs. average.

I have a feeling that while you'll get some honest answers, you're also going to get a bunch of made up crap because some people want to sound like they have so many super lucrative methods. And others just want to outdo everyone else.

xp0 Apr 29, 2015 5:09 am

How much $ did they M$ or how much money did they profit from their M$?

Totally different numbers and respect.

Originally Posted by KRSW (Post 24737317)

bkiminfinity Apr 29, 2015 6:27 am

http://i.imgur.com/Neig70x.jpg

chaser123 Apr 29, 2015 7:10 am

Interesting. I actually don't know how much I MS. I go full throttle for wahtever I can until I am shut down. I only have access to 2 SSN, mine and my SO. I also have never gone to a Target or WM. I made about 1MM miles last year. I don't thin I MS that much. Majority was from Sign up offers and INK. But I also got killed on a lot last year. Lost both our paypals, chime cards and evolve. But I still do a little right now but I have to come up with new ideas. I think I only need about 600k miles a year. I flew first for the first time on BA. My SO is now completely on borad with this game!

haloseven Apr 29, 2015 7:32 am

How much did you MS last year, current YTD?

I MSed about $6k in profit last year. Wasn't tracking actual money moved. This year I'm already at about $150k ms'd, at an average of 1.95% profit

redtop43 Apr 29, 2015 7:43 am

Last year, about $1 million. Mostly on the Delta debit card, which I got shut down from.

This year so far, about $100K, and I'm having trouble holding that one together.

Keep in mind, I'm retired, live very close to WM, and my father works for a bank which induced them to give me more favorable terms than might otherwise have been the case. (Yes, I'm old enough to be early-retired, and he still works.)

exarkun Apr 29, 2015 7:45 am

Pointless thread is pointless

dfw_plt_aa Apr 29, 2015 8:59 am

I maxed out the first quarter bonus on my Chase Freedom. I spent $1500 and received $75 in rewards.

https://www.chasebonus.com/Images_15...8_card-art.jpg

SDBK Apr 29, 2015 12:47 pm

Honestly:

Did about 100k in 2014 while a close family member of mine did ~$1.82 million.

Personally around 115k so far for 2015 and same family member is at ~600,000 for this year.

Family member is retired and lives near a lot of valuable resources and has a lot more time than most of us have

ericdabbs Apr 29, 2015 1:30 pm

$100. Bigger hitter here.

csyoung49 Apr 29, 2015 5:25 pm

I've only MS'ed about $6,000 this year...probably do another $4,000 soon. Mostly to hit minimum spend requirements.

pstravels Apr 29, 2015 5:39 pm

Have heard of people do 8 figure spend, but there salary is also very high 6 figures.

In general, dont do more than your income on one card.

The most extreme MS I think you can get away with:

Taking avg household income at 50k, assuming average MS'er has just two go to MS cards at AMEX, CHASE, Barclay, CITI, Capital One, that would be 10 cards.

At most they are safely MSing 500k a year. Add in signup bonuses, easily earning above 1 million miles a year => Assume value of a mile greater than 1c if they are smart, say 1.5=>Maybe 15k profit if smart about it.

Pretty good for someone who only earns 50k a year.

littlewinglet Apr 29, 2015 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by pstravels (Post 24741750)
Have heard of people do 8 figure spend, but there salary is also very high 6 figures.

In general, dont do more than your income on one card.

The most extreme MS I think you can get away with:

Taking avg household income at 50k, assuming average MS'er has just two go to MS cards at AMEX, CHASE, Barclay, CITI, Capital One, that would be 10 cards.

At most they are safely MSing 500k a year. Add in signup bonuses, easily earning above 1 million miles a year => Assume value of a mile greater than 1c if they are smart, say 1.5=>Maybe 15k profit if smart about it.

Pretty good for someone who only earns 50k a year.

You have much to learn, grasshopper.

pstravels Apr 29, 2015 5:43 pm

Also, if you do fit the average consumer....its probably better to just do app o rama's and churn credit cards.

If you get lucky like with AA 100k offers, you could easily beat what the above MS'er example generated in a year. (Although this assumes, you value AA miles or similar currencies more than cash back.)

The one advantage the MSer has is they could conceivably use cash back cards and generate income rather than miles.