Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

How much did you MS last year, current YTD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much did you MS last year, current YTD?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by yank2688
I'll play. Im at about $150k/month. I have 10 redcards and 16 bluebirds. All of the bluebirds are used to load the gift cards I buy with my somehow still open 5 OBCs for pure cash back. The OBCs are me, gf, mom, dad and sister. Most of the bb/rb cards are fraternity brothers that I convinced to sign up for like $20 and are used for miles. Add in grandparents and a few other friends and it was easy to hit. Also have 4 t-mobiles that Im still using. Having said all that, I'm just over $150k a month. I'm 27 and would love to quit my job and do this full time, but I don't think I can make enough profit without worrying when my OBCs are going to be shutdown.
Maybe I need to dust off my OBC. I was scared by the shutdowns but was only doing $2.5k a month (exclusively CVS). Maybe that's safe after all.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:12 pm

Did the old ones get the cap, or just the new ones?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:10 pm
xp0

for the people posting numbers, is that your amount in profit or just the total you MS'd, meaning profits are in the hundreds of dollars to low thousands of dollars?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:28 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Some of us wisely don't take pictures in and around banks. Back in my banking days, I had a bank corporate photographer, named Mustafa, who was assigned by Marketing to shoot all the branch banking exterior signage. He attracted the attention of the police after shooting at just two branches.

My high tide mark was 75k a day in the days of the dollars. You can take that to the bank (with an armed guard). At 16 lbs per k, about 75k in 300 boxes is all you can handle in a sedan.

Originally Posted by T3pleShot
picture or it didnt happen
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:57 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

ADK- you are legendary! Some of you guys have set the bar pretty high. I think I'm quite a slacker by some of you folks. I bow to you!
Old May 1, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: AA, DL, Hyatt, Hilton
What do you recommend? I was doing an extra 30k or so with my OBCs and just buying money orders but Im sticking to the credit limits which are around $15k per OBC. Sure I could do a lot more at Walmart with money orders but Im nervous about being shutdown. What would you do in my situation? Im all for advice!
Nice CL as well =/
Old May 1, 2015, 10:53 pm

Currently doing $360k a year. I have 6 BlueBird cards and I do the max on each one every month.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate, Amex, Delta, AA, BA Avios, United, US Airways, Marriott, Hilton
God in heaven. Began dolling out money to friends....got 6 more RB's in last day. Wish I could have gotten in on the OBC. Those who have it, you might get shut down anyways. Might as well give them a good reason to, and actually MS like crazy while you can.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:32 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate, Amex, Delta, AA, BA Avios, United, US Airways, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Apparently hooked on phonics didn't work for you. See "...(SO, spouse, friend)..." of my post and use reasoning.
I think he just meant like from a combinatorics view...not everyone can have 2 cards in the world.

But realistically, yeah everyone that is doing this should be able to as not everyone in the world is interested in getting a RB or BB.

But, yeah it can be possible that someone is out there, and all their family and friends are involved in this activity, so in that case, it may be hard to find some one to give them a RB or BB.
Old May 2, 2015, 11:13 am
Original Poster

OP here. Glad I started this thread -- great perspective on what people actually do..or say they do. Even if the #s are inflated, cutting the claimed #s in half still leaves a sizable margin. Looks like I've been leaving quite a bit of cash on the table!

Originally Posted by pstravels
PSTRAVELS METHOD: 1)get cards 2)churn your cards 3)get cards for gf 4)churn her cards 5)churn gfs 6)enjoy
What happens when you come across one (card of gf) you actually enjoy?
Old May 2, 2015, 7:20 pm

I'll play. Im at about $150k/month. I have 10 redcards and 16 bluebirds. All of the bluebirds are used to load the gift cards I buy with my somehow still open 5 OBCs for pure cash back. The OBCs are me, gf, mom, dad and sister. Most of the bb/rb cards are fraternity brothers that I convinced to sign up for like $20 and are used for miles. Add in grandparents and a few other friends and it was easy to hit. Also have 4 t-mobiles that Im still using. Having said all that, I'm just over $150k a month. I'm 27 and would love to quit my job and do this full time, but I don't think I can make enough profit without worrying when my OBCs are going to be shutdown.
color me jealous. I'm north of your 150k/mo but only 5 BB"s, no redcards ( stupid, I know). If I had the # of cards you have, I'd be pushing 300/mo. beyond family, hard to understand how you can convince friends to loan out their ss# for a financial product. any friends of mine would be using it for their own miles (I teach my friends basic ms) or they'd be too uncomfortable given the post 9.11 police state we live in. 25 friends and family cards... the only place I can think of where one could get that many clueless people to go along would be Kentucky or Mississippi! how many of the 25 play the banjo?
Old May 3, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: Several dozen
The trick to high MS is to be creative, look for poor internal controls, keep the game legal and diversify your business. For my part, I never go overboard on any single line of business with a "grab all you can until they shut you down mentality." Been at this game for many years, so I think long term.

You are only a slacker if you MS less than you need to achieve your objectives. Even my monthly MS pales to some folks I know, as I run a green, low carbon footprint operation, doing my MS without using a car.

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
ADK- you are legendary! Some of you guys have set the bar pretty high. I think I'm quite a slacker by some of you folks. I bow to you!
Old May 3, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
The trick to high MS is to be creative, look for poor internal controls, keep the game legal and diversify your business. For my part, I never go overboard on any single line of business with a "grab all you can until they shut you down mentality." Been at this game for many years, so I think long term.

You are only a slacker if you MS less than you need to achieve your objectives. Even my monthly MS pales to some folks I know, as I run a green, low carbon footprint operation, doing my MS without using a car.
That's a bit contradictory from this post (I realize the Mint deal was a while ago):

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
My high tide mark was 75k a day in the days of the dollars. You can take that to the bank (with an armed guard). At 16 lbs per k, about 75k in 300 boxes is all you can handle in a sedan.

I do like your current philosophy of thinking long term rather than going 'all in' until you get shut down. I do very light MSing and only for hotel status. Last year, my MSing allowed me to get lifetime Platinum with Marriott and this year's goals are to charge $40K on my Hyatt card for 5stay/10night credit toward Diamond and then all extra MS will go toward SPG AmEx, since I can use the points for free/Cash&Point nights toward SPG Platinum (also approaching lifetime Plat with SPG).

For me, the $5K/mo RB works fine to achieve my goals. I don't have a strong desire to get a second RB and load up my SPG AmEx with additional charges because I want to make sure I stay far below AmEx's financial audit radar.
Old May 3, 2015, 3:51 pm

I did about 5k first month. 30k last month. Going for 100k this month.
Old May 3, 2015, 8:45 pm

Do folks here really need a bragging thread?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.