Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Has there been a single new method found in 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has there been a single new method found in 2015?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pointchaser93
Redemption rates are not very closely tied to actual dollar costs. They vary within programs, across programs, and the relative value of different programs has changed significantly. There has absolutely been inflation in certain programs. Programs with multiple co-branded cards that facilitate MS have been particularly susceptible. On the other end of the spectrum is SPG with only 2 CCs with low sign-up bonuses and no bonus categories outside of spending at SPG properties. SPG has never had a major devaluation.

Your point about making redemptions more difficult (capacity controls, blackout dates) is the points version of price controls and quotas. It doesn't eliminate the inflation, it just manifests itself differently (both reduce the quantity of goods that can be bought with a unit of a currency).
You are conflating value and inflation. Reread my post. It abosutely allows for *devaluations*, which may or may not occur due to MS- not my point. The OP even mentioned that and I didnt disagree.

Points inflation cant occur when redemptions are standardized and static or pegged to the dollar cost- both scenarios give value to points currency independent of any market condition whatsoever. Hence the impossibility of inflation. It seems you are confusing devaluations with inflation. That matters. Why? We could all MS a billion avios and they would be worth the same until the next *devaluation*. Our avios dont become worth less gradually or due to market factors.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
People who are clever enough to find new methods are also clever enough not to post them on FT.
^^^

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MotownMan
You are conflating value and inflation. Reread my post. It abosutely allows for *devaluations*, which may or may not occur due to MS- not my point. The OP even mentioned that and I didnt disagree.

Points inflation cant occur when redemptions are standardized and static or pegged to the dollar cost- both scenarios give value to points currency independent of any market condition whatsoever. Hence the impossibility of inflation. It seems you are confusing devaluations with inflation. That matters. Why? We could all MS a billion avios and they would be worth the same until the next *devaluation*. Our avios dont become worth less gradually or due to market factors.
In your first post you said "You could only argue it increases the rate of devaluations, which isn't true as of yet." This is the point I disagree with. I agree simply generating more points doesn't cause inflation itself--- that requires a devaluation. But I believe we have observed a strong correlation between the ease of generating currencies and rate of devaluation of said currencies. Also the ease of redemptions is a key factor in currency valuations. If redemptions are difficult we must apply a liquidity discount to the face value.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter
I've found that spending lots of actual money also results in points/miles
Feel free to flame away. I read and searched and cannot find the answers I am
looking for. I can go to a local drug store chain and buy 500.00 Vanilla Visa
Gift Cards. Cost=5.95. Then I can take the debit card to my local large chain
supermarket and buy a 500.00 money order for 1.00 My credit cards are Mastercards that earn FF miles. For every 1,000 I spend I get 2000 miles. So here are my questions:
1. Does the CC company know I am purchasing debit cards and would it make any difference if I bought Mastercard 500.00 VGC's?

2.Is it worth it , doing this? Sorry again about this post, probably asked and
answered 1,000 times
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by fish3d
Feel free to flame away. I read and searched and cannot find the answers I am
looking for. I can go to a local drug store chain and buy 500.00 Vanilla Visa
Gift Cards. Cost=5.95. Then I can take the debit card to my local large chain
supermarket and buy a 500.00 money order for 1.00 My credit cards are Mastercards that earn FF miles. For every 1,000 I spend I get 2000 miles. So here are my questions:
1. Does the CC company know I am purchasing debit cards and would it make any difference if I bought Mastercard 500.00 VGC's?

2.Is it worth it , doing this? Sorry again about this post, probably asked and
answered 1,000 times
The answers to 1 are all over the place here, I suggest you start here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...re-2015-a.html .

The answer to 2, only you can decide. You need to figure out what your costs are, what your time is worth, how much time it will take you and what you are likely to gain from the points. Honestly, nobody but you can answer this question. There are just too many variables. What is worth it to me might be a major waste to you or the reverse.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pointchaser93
In your first post you said "You could only argue it increases the rate of devaluations, which isn't true as of yet." This is the point I disagree with. I agree simply generating more points doesn't cause inflation itself--- that requires a devaluation. But I believe we have observed a strong correlation between the ease of generating currencies and rate of devaluation of said currencies. Also the ease of redemptions is a key factor in currency valuations. If redemptions are difficult we must apply a liquidity discount to the face value.
That I can see ^ and regardless of what I wrote in my first post, I agree with you. We were focusing on two different issues.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:28 am

There are several good ways in 2015 but we never psot about them because we don't want all the newbees to crush it.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by 36902BRF
The answers to 1 are all over the place here, I suggest you start here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...re-2015-a.html .

The answer to 2, only you can decide. You need to figure out what your costs are, what your time is worth, how much time it will take you and what you are likely to gain from the points. Honestly, nobody but you can answer this question. There are just too many variables. What is worth it to me might be a major waste to you or the reverse.
Thanks for your response. Lets forget question two. I did read the wiki and the section you suggested before I posted my question. Perhaps I should simplify my question as things may have changed over time.. A number of years ago I briefly owned a retail establishment. Visa and Mastercard were accepted. If you charged at my store there was a "code" so that the CC companies knew the charge came from a shoe store. All businesses are assigned a "code, that way for instance if you tried to charge to an online gaming site the charge would be denied. What the code did not do was tell you what type of shoes you bought. So getting back to my original question, If I charge some VGC's to my CC at say Rite-Aid does the CC company know
I purchased VGC's or maybe they think I got diapers! I will admit to running
about 1k per week. The grocery chain that converts them to MO's is quite happy to do so and has told me as much as long as the purchase is with a debit card. They will not sell MO's by use of a CC.
Mods perhaps this needs to be moved...I just can't find the specifics needed
to answer this question and thanks in advance to all who help
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:15 am

If I charge some VGC's to my CC at say Rite-Aid does the CC company know I purchased VGC's or maybe they think I got diapers!
in relation to this question, this article may help you understand:

http://www.bluepay.com/processing-se...ard-processing

I have read on myfico that there are some CCCs who have asked their clients under FR "why have you been buying GCs at x drugstore?" this means they can see breakdown of receipts so one has to come up with something believable since they already know what those huge purchases are.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by kingrat
There are several good ways in 2015 but we never psot about them because we don't want all the newbees to crush it.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: Several dozen
Not necessarily the only reason not to post. Some of the finds in 2015 involve techniques that are not paint by number easy, push the envelope, and could come back at you. They are definitely way too risky for newbies.

There are several good ways in 2015 but we never post about them because we don't want all the newbees to crush it.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: Several dozen
Or the FR staff have found a recognizable pattern and presume that you are guilty of heresy. L3 data is not that readily available. Do not forget that the cats read FT and the blogs just as much as the mice.

Mix up the spending patterns.

Originally Posted by Mamibear
in relation to this question, this article may help you understand:

http://www.bluepay.com/processing-se...ard-processing

I have read on myfico that there are some CCCs who have asked their clients under FR "why have you been buying GCs at x drugstore?" this means they can see breakdown of receipts so one has to come up with something believable since they already know what those huge purchases are.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Not necessarily the only reason not to post. Some of the finds in 2015 involve techniques that are not paint by number easy, push the envelope, and could come back at you. They are definitely way too risky for newbies.
I think its the excuse not to post....

In my opinion there are no significant(volume) MSing going on compared to last year (AmEX OBC). MSing prospects starts from the CC offers, they are fewer and not very attractive introductory offers, going through a dry spell? not sure what the bloggers are selling these days.

The quality of posts is degrading. If new methods are not posted this forum loses its value.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by gloreglabert
People who are clever enough to find new methods are also clever enough not to post them on FT.
translations for these posts and other similar ones in this thread: "yeah we're gonna troll & pretend even tho we dunno any new methods and no one will call us out on it anyways. on the plus side, maybe someone reading this will invite us to private groups. but at the end of the day we're just hypocrites of course cause we're on FT all day for when a new method IS posted. just so we can exploit it and look down upon everyone else."
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate, Amex, Delta, AA, BA Avios, United, US Airways, Marriott, Hilton
Theres actually a few ways...but they are not home runs...you can definitely get up to 10 points per cent consistently, but some methods are local and other methods are publicized but require additional creativity. You have to experiment and see what you can get away with. when you see something work, you scale up. wth would you tell anyone about it unless you have a blog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.