Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Used Visa Gift Cards on eBay

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Used Visa Gift Cards on eBay

I've built up quite the collection of spent gift cards, 100+ Visa and another 50 MC/AMEX. For the hell of it I searched eBay for used gift cards with no balance, and was surprised that they were selling for about $1 each! Any idea why? Am I missing something? I wouldn't mind an extra $100 in my pocket for selling, but I want to know why people want these first. Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by nuclearnova
I've built up quite the collection of spent gift cards, 100+ Visa and another 50 MC/AMEX. For the hell of it I searched eBay for used gift cards with no balance, and was surprised that they were selling for about $1 each! Any idea why? Am I missing something? I wouldn't mind an extra $100 in my pocket for selling, but I want to know why people want these first. Thanks!
People collect cards..poop..used stuffs...weird people!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by nuclearnova
I think someone posted about this before, and it's because certain parking meters that accept card payment, will accept GC's with a zero balance. I don't have experience with this personally.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Ah that makes sense, they could be used for any service that doesn't put a temporary charge on the card. Makes me a little less inclined to sell them, but if that is really the case then they almost deserve to miss out on the parking fees.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: All of them
Have any of them actually sold? I could make a ton of money of this actually works.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:00 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Fraudsters might also be using them as "blanks" to write the data from stolen cards.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by bewareofduck
I think someone posted about this before, and it's because certain parking meters that accept card payment, will accept GC's with a zero balance. I don't have experience with this personally.
why would ppl buy in bulk tho? one card I can understand.

also I wouldnt wanna sell one at a time anyways. ebay/paypal fees and postage would eat up the whole $1.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
Fraudsters might also be using them as "blanks" to write the data from stolen cards.
This is the only theory I have heard that holds any weight and this subject has come up in a number of forums. Personally I would not touch selling used V/MCGs traceable to me on Ebay as I would rather not explain my MS habit to LEOs in the event said cards are used for fraud.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: 1&2
I definitely wouldn't sell any ... no need to create a digital trail.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: Whole Lot of Nothin' anymore - Thanks to baby!
I use them like Martha Stewart does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0B6jyJYC2I
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:20 pm

Inspired by this thread, I listed a 10-card lot of used VGCs on ebay this week. Yes, these cards have been actually selling on ebay recently.

Today, I got an inquiry from a potential buyer (zero feedback) in the Punjab who said he just wanted me to send him the card numbers, expiration dates, and CVV codes. He says he simply wants to use the cards to "verify his Amazon account."

What could possibly go wrong??????
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Inspired by this thread, I listed a 10-card lot of used VGCs on ebay this week. Yes, these cards have been actually selling on ebay recently.

Today, I got an inquiry from a potential buyer (zero feedback) in the Punjab who said he just wanted me to send him the card numbers, expiration dates, and CVV codes. He says he simply wants to use the cards to "verify his Amazon account."

It might be interesting to follow those #'s via online account management and see if anything pops up as an attempted authorization.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
It might be interesting to follow those #'s via online account management and see if anything pops up as an attempted authorization.
pretty sure on drained cards, the transaction would be auto-declined... so no attempted authorization would show up?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
There are many crafts with old cards!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq2STpLZRb4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uDCuJGuiUQ

Cheers!
JudyJFLA
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia

I say... In the name of science!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.