Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hotel Credit Cards are worth MSing?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sosamo
Hi, right now the only category that I do not have points in is the Hotel Category.

I already Signed up for Chase Hyatt, Citi Hilton Reserve, Chase Fairmont, to get the 2 free nights.

I want to stay at the Top Category hotels, but rate is outrageous. Hilton is like 80k a night. 80k / 3pts is about 27k worth of Msing. Cost of Msing that is about $214 + time.
The cost should be $8 to no more than $12 to MS $1k. Which is all you need for another 50k Hilton HHonors points, if you do it by churning this card (which has been churnable several times a year up to now, though we can't make promises about the future):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...a-now-50k.html

Ie, the oayoff on MSing is much higher with signup bonuses than with cards you already have. So for maximum results, churn first and only MS those signup bonuses, or only MS when you've run out of cards to churn.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The cost should be $8 to no more than $12 to MS $1k. Which is all you need for another 50k Hilton HHonors points, if you do it by churning this card (which has been churnable several times a year up to now, though we can't make promises about the future):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...a-now-50k.html

Ie, the oayoff on MSing is much higher with signup bonuses than with cards you already have. So for maximum results, churn first and only MS those signup bonuses, or only MS when you've run out of cards to churn.
For Top Cat Hilton hotel (example W.Astoria Rome) is 80k points a night.
80k / 3pts per $1 is 27k in spend. $8 per 1k spend * 27 is $216 + the time it takes to liquidate 27k worth.

Hyatt requires lower points per night, but the credit card only pays 1pt to $1spend, no category spend.

I right now the only safe option if I want to MS hotel points is Hilton, but probably not worth it.

Msing Chase Hyatt, might piss Chase off, and get my accounts closed.

SPG, my CL is too low to MS.

Carlson...can't get the app approved for now.

Marriot, kinda same as Hyatt.

I forgot about IHG, I will probably sign up for the CC later to get the 60-70k bonus.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sosamo
For Top Cat Hilton hotel (example W.Astoria Rome) is 80k points a night.
80k / 3pts per $1 is 27k in spend. $8 per 1k spend * 27 is $216 + the time it takes to liquidate 27k worth...
You're missing his point -- don't bother with serious MSing on Hilton cards -- after the signup bonus, just get another Citi Hilton to get another 50K points. I've gotten 9 so far, so on the bonuses alone I've gotten enough for 5 nights at your 80K hotel.

If you have the Hilton AmEx card, you can get a 4-night AXON award for a reduced rate (260,000 for a Cat 9 hotel), or you can do a 5th night free with Silver status and above, which you have when you get a Citi Hilton card.

The caveat is that we don't know when Citi will stop letting us obtain multiple cards.

I like IHG because of the free night each year for the $49 annual fee -- since I use it for $180-200 hotels, it's a great bargain.

Last edited by PaulMSN; Mar 17, 2015 at 2:09 pm
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:10 pm

Hard to say MS is worth it at all on hotel cards with the two exceptions of:

-SPG overall

-Surpass @ Groceries

There just aren't aspirational opportunities to make it worth the restrictions. SPG can be turned into F air travel, so there's an outsized outlet. But generally, signup bonuses=yes, MS=no on hotel cards.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FreakingFlyer

-SPG overall

-Surpass @ Groceries

There just aren't aspirational opportunities to make it worth the restrictions. SPG can be turned into F air travel, so there's an outsized outlet. But generally, signup bonuses=yes, MS=no on hotel cards.
IHG gives you 2 points/$ at groceries and gas stations, with Walmarts and Targets counting as groceries.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by FreakingFlyer

-SPG overall

-Surpass @ Groceries

Club Carlson is definitely worth it. With $3.95 GCs, I can manufacture two nights at top properties for $80, which is a steal even for very average hotels in big cities in Europe.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Club Carlson is definitely worth it. With $3.95 GCs, I can manufacture two nights at top properties for $80, which is a steal even for very average hotels in big cities in Europe.
Worth it until they close your account for MS...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...se-action.html
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
MSing depends on your needs/goals. For me though SPG all the way as I stay at these hotels for business travel and do MS on it. IMO SPG have great redemption value for the resorts the wife and I like to stay at, probably has to do with being Platinum also.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by exarkun
Worth it until they close your account for MS...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...se-action.html
That thread appears to be mostly about their checking accounts, not CC. The 5x on club carlson cards is not a category bonus so there's no way to abuse it.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: WN A-list CP, IHG plat, Hyatt plat, United Silver, Hilton Gold
does chase regularly close accounts for people who MS hotel cards? I haven't heard of that before. I'm doing $5-10/mo on my Hyatt
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:20 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Which Hotel Credit Cards are worth MSing?

Chase UR cards are probably best overall for Hyatt. 5x points of Office Supply / 2 ota travel and dining/ 1pt elsewhere makes for good hyatt redemptions. I actually MS on Marriott CC for elite night credit and because all my work travel is at Marriott. Once I get to LT Platinum I'll divide up amongst chase UR cards and whatever ones I can get good signup bonus on.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
You're missing his point -- don't bother with serious MSing on Hilton cards -- after the signup bonus, just get another Citi Hilton to get another 50K points. I've gotten 9 so far, so on the bonuses alone I've gotten enough for 5 nights at your 80K hotel.

If you have the Hilton AmEx card, you can get a 4-night AXON award for a reduced rate (260,000 for a Cat 9 hotel), or you can do a 5th night free with Silver status and above, which you have when you get a Citi Hilton card.

The caveat is that we don't know when Citi will stop letting us obtain multiple cards.

I like IHG because of the free night each year for the $49 annual fee -- since I use it for $180-200 hotels, it's a great bargain.
Dang. I have read some that applied and got approved for 5+ Citi Exec cards, like what you are talking about with the Hilton cards...I don't think my credit score, etc can handle that. I would like to apply for other cards also from other banks, and they will see all the pulls and new accounts.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for all the inputs.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
That thread appears to be mostly about their checking accounts, not CC. The 5x on club carlson cards is not a category bonus so there's no way to abuse it.
They closed my cc because of manufactured spending.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Chase UR cards are probably best overall for Hyatt. 5x points of Office Supply / 2 ota travel and dining/ 1pt elsewhere makes for good hyatt redemptions. I actually MS on Marriott CC for elite night credit and because all my work travel is at Marriott. Once I get to LT Platinum I'll divide up amongst chase UR cards and whatever ones I can get good signup bonus on.
I completely agree with this. Unless you're going for status with Hyatt from the stay credits at spending thresholds it doesn't seem worth it to me to get the Hyatt card since UR transfer to Hyatt 1:1. If the free night wasn't category limited it would be totally worth the $75 annual fee but not when you're limited to category 1-4. While you're looking at a higher total annual fee CSP, Freedom and Ink are a much better strategy to earn free stays at Hyatt. Transfers to Hyatt and Amtrak are almost exclusively what I use UR for, frequently for the same trip. Acela down to DC for a stay at the Park Hyatt DC is one of the SO and my favorite long weekend trips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.