Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

A local grocery store recorded my ID and SSN when I bought VGCs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A local grocery store recorded my ID and SSN when I bought VGCs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
I can understand large quantities of MOs requiring info in case of fraud or ML going on, but what kind of fraud can possibly happen when buying GCs with a credit card with your name on it? Lots of businesses buy GCs to give out as promotions or employee bonuses.

They should worry more about stolen CC being used, but that's why they verify ID first and these cards are non-refundable. No need to collect SSN at all.
Someone used my Venture card at Gamestop to the tune of $536 and some cents while it was in my pocket. I was literally sitting at my desk when i got a Cap1 wallet notification that someone used my card at a Gamestop in Woodbury, NJ, but i live in NY. I was curious, so i called the store and spoke with the cashier who rang the person up. The cashier said it was a lady around the age of 25-30 and her name matched the card. Just goes to show you that cashiers are curious because you might be trying to pull a fast one on the store but will relent if you name matches the card.

I've made personally relationships at all the stores i go to. They all know me now. They know me by my first name and know that i'm not trying to pull a fast one on the store. The ones i know don't even record anything anymore. I could buy 12k in GCs if i want, but that's obviously weird to justify to my credit card issuer.

Last edited by Membersince2013; Mar 9, 2015 at 8:36 am
Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
The article says about 40,000 people used this SSN (078-05-1120).

What happened to those 40,000 people?

1) Prison?
2) Fine?
3) Their real SSN was confiscated?
4) Any other?

Who thinks that after the article was published and was public 400k more people used it at the grocery store to buy gift cards? (I am now seriously considering next time if I am asked at the grocery store)

One thing is for sure, they all protected their own SSN from identity theft,fraud or abuse..... What an irony?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Often1
SAR for sure. Lie and some investigative agency gets involved.
Hard to say if the manager means a federal SAR. He could just mean, we will tell corporate about this transaction and person so that they can do whatever they think they need to do.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24
Wow. So every child in the world is moved into sexual slavery each year? Some more than once? (Estimated world population under 15 years old: 1.9 billion).

Ok, sorry. Obviously a typo. The thread was just getting a little too serious.

But honestly, there's only one good response to a request for information like this. Don't provide your SSN - that's asking for trouble in one form or another. Don't provide someone else's SSN - that's of questionable legality, morality, and/or intelligence.

Just walk away. Feel free to use whatever excuse you'd like (I'd personally go with concerns over identity theft, because it would be 100% true). Leave your GCs, make sure your CC hasn't been charged, and walk out the door.

Sure, you may not get your MS in that day. You may have to go a couple miles to do it at another store. You almost certainly would need to reduce the volume at which you're purchasing these things. But those are all small prices to pay to not get law enforcement involved, no matter how innocent you are. You may not have done anything wrong, but you're going to have a heck of a lot of stress and wasted time while you're proving that.

tl;dr: Don't be stupid - if anyone ever asks for your SSN, just walk away.
Indeed, typo! Still, I was blown away by the numbers. (P.68.)

"Approximately 55 percent of American girls living on the streets engage in the commercial sex trade.
• For every 800 people trafficked only 1 person is convicted
• A young girl can earn between $150,000 and $200,000 each year for her pimp if she survives
• Two million children are bought and sold in the global commercial sex trade annually"
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:34 am

Who cares if they file a SAR... you are doing nothing illegal, so let them file SARs all day long.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
Who cares if they file a SAR... you are doing nothing illegal, so let them file SARs all day long.
Filing SAR is not the issue, Using SAR as an excuse to collect your security info. is the problem....

(1) Trust a minimum wage grocery store clerk with your private, security and identity info? You have no idea/control who looks at it (uses) before it goes to the dumpster and later some one jumps in dumpster to collect and sell it? If you watch 60 mins (3 months) about dentist and medical office receptionist selling your filled in new patient form for $25 a piece! a secondary source of income for them and the buyer has all he needs to commit fraud and identity theft.

(2) Data breaches and computer hard drives are sold in the black market and business/corporations buy for target marketing...and some for screwing up your credit score! You know about it when you become a victim, too late....

Is any of the victims compensated by the business/corp.?

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
Originally Posted by Often1
SAR for sure. Lie and some investigative agency gets involved.
40k used, what happened to them?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do people really think that it's illegal to give the guy at the grocery store (specifically, NOT a government agent) a fake SS number? That's funny. What law do you think is being broken?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:53 pm

Today while purchasing $1500 worth of VGC`s the cashier at Ralphs in So-Cal took my ID and typed the ID number in her computer.
On inquiring she told me that this was a new policy and the got a memo to do this for all high value transactions.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:24 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Do people really think that it's illegal to give the guy at the grocery store (specifically, NOT a government agent) a fake SS number? That's funny. What law do you think is being broken?
Oh, most laws against identity theft in this country. What do you think Social Security numbers are? Within the context of most laws, SSN are considered identifying information that a person cannot appropriate without facing possible criminal sanctions, even if not making the false report to a government agency. Or did you not realize most banks and other financial instituions providing these kinds of instruments, even through retail outlets, thus participate in interstate commerce, where the feds tend to have a wide leeway?

When you get to the state level, there are similar laws. That's true in my home state of Virginia, which I only know because I'm a licensed attorney. A simple Google search for "providing false social security number" picks this up so you don't even have to have gone to law school.

Is the OP likely in any real trouble? No, because practically the authorities won't get the information and probably wouldn't press charges unless there's a more suspicious course of conduct. But honestly, don't believe that your "business class seat" argument will go far if someone taking your implicit advice ends up in court.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:31 pm

And if the SSN was never issued, then whose identity was stolen?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Oh, most laws against identity theft in this country. What do you think Social Security numbers are? Within the context of most laws, SSN are considered identifying information that a person cannot appropriate without facing possible criminal sanctions, even if not making the false report to a government agency. Or did you not realize most banks and other financial instituions providing these kinds of instruments, even through retail outlets, thus participate in interstate commerce, where the feds tend to have a wide leeway?

When you get to the state level, there are similar laws. That's true in my home state of Virginia, which I only know because I'm a licensed attorney. A simple Google search for "providing false social security number" picks this up so you don't even have to have gone to law school.

Is the OP likely in any real trouble? No, because practically the authorities won't get the information and probably wouldn't press charges unless there's a more suspicious course of conduct. But honestly, don't believe that your "business class seat" argument will go far if someone taking your implicit advice ends up in court.
Are you claiming that giving your own ID with your own name on it, along with a false SS number, to a grocery store, not for the purpose of committing fraud, constitutes identity theft?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by airstairfear
And if the SSN was never issued, then whose identity was stolen?
Really? You want to try that argument? When you might not know for sure the number used wasn't issued to someone else, either alive or dead? For some stupid miles/points?

And other laws apply to the use of improper social security numbers. Since 9/11, identifying information, including SSN, is at the heart of tons of laws passed since then.

Would you provide a false social security number in filing an application for a new credit card? I'd hope not: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1014.

"Any false statement" surely will include identifying information, such as name and SSN. And note that some of the representations covered in that statute aren't to government agencies but to banks insured by the FDIC--the feds using the Constitution's Commerce Clause to extend criminal jurisdiction to things that indirectly involve the government.

Again, the practicalities make it unlikely that legal action will be taken for a one-time and small-time use, but using a SSN that doesn't belong to you is like Russian roulette--you're only lucky but for so long.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Are you claiming that giving your own ID with your own name on it, along with a false SS number, to a grocery store, not for the purpose of committing fraud, constitutes identity theft?
If I were law enforcement, a prosecutor, or a judge, I'd sure be asking what other intent the person submitting the false SSN had.

But go ahead. Do it. You probably won't get in any trouble. Probably.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:43 pm

Oh, most laws against identity theft in this country. What do you think Social Security numbers are? Within the context of most laws, SSN are considered identifying information that a person

SSN is primary for collecting Social Security at 65 and for IRS to collect the contribution and taxes. If anyone asking your SSN without paying you taxable $s or reporting purposes, is a misuse and the wrong practice.

Most identity theft in this country is because of the misuse of SSN.

If you think like a lawyer there is always another lawyer in the opposition totally disagrees you....
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I were law enforcement, a prosecutor, or a judge, I'd sure be asking what other intent the person submitting the false SSN had.

But go ahead. Do it. You probably won't get in any trouble. Probably.
Exactly. So intent is important. Good luck spreading your FUD though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.